Greek Airport ILS Settings

FSX including FSX Steam version.

Greek Airport ILS Settings

Postby Brimmy1 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:25 am

Hello All
I have been using FSX Deluxe edition for a few months now and I have noticed that the majority of greek airports dont have land course & nav frequency settings so the only way to land is to do a visual landing which can be hit & missed. Are there any updates available for this or not?
Thanks in advance
Mark
Brimmy1
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Greek Airport ILS Settings

Postby Tleilaxian » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:27 am

It doesn't have them on the airport map NOR on the GPS?
Tleilaxian
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Tiger1962 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:14 am

Only two or three airports on the Greek islands have ILS approaches, all the rest are visual approach only.
Tiger1962
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Bofredrik » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:13 am

https://skyvector.com/airport/LGRP/Rhod ... as-Airport

Go to AIRPORTS on the top and type code for the airports.
This is the best i can do.
Bofredrik
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby garymbuska » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:54 am

Why do you think that in the real world when traveling in some of these places there are such huge delays and even cancellations
It is because most of the airports have visual approaches only and if the weather goes bad you can not land at them.
On flights like these you have to plan on the unexpected and make sure you have a good alternative that has a ILS approach that you can use that day.

Not all airports have a ILS approach no matter where they are. Even the ones that do have them you can not land on it unless the wind is from the correct direction.
For the US you can use a sight called AIRNAV it will give you absolutely everything you need to know about any airport in the US.
the link provided in the other post will tell you the same thing except you can find airport information from any where you just need the IATA code an example is EHEH Endhoven Netherlands.

The one thing you do not ever want to try is landing in any kind of a tailwind above 5 MPH and even that is dangerous.
It is like playing Russian roulette with 5 bullets. Even a cross wind has a certain amount of tail wind depending upon runway heading and wind direction.
Check out some of the videos of real world aircraft landing in a cross wind.
It will make you appreciate the skills of these pilots. Most crashes are caused by a unexpected cross wind at the last second
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
CH Rudder Peddles 27 inch Wide screen Monitor
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby Bofredrik » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:13 am

Bofredrik
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby mitsos-wu » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:36 pm

Hi there, i am from Greece.
First thing i like to inform you with is that, Greece has A LOT of military airports, because we are facing
a lot of threatenings from turkey, in real life situations.... maybe THAT'S the reason, why there aren't many ILS approaches.

on a second thought, since you are still using fsx (p3d is almost the same) there is this website https://www.aero.sors.fr/navaids3.html
which can update your navigation routes, through the whole world.... just download the installer and through this app,
you can update whatever area you like.
Unfortunately "microsoft" stoped updating this a loooooong time ago. :(
mitsos-wu
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby garymbuska » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:23 am

mitsos-wu wrote:Hi there, i am from Greece.
First thing i like to inform you with is that, Greece has A LOT of military airports, because we are facing
a lot of threatenings from turkey, in real life situations.... maybe THAT'S the reason, why there aren't many ILS approaches.

on a second thought, since you are still using fsx (p3d is almost the same) there is this website https://www.aero.sors.fr/navaids3.html
which can update your navigation routes, through the whole world.... just download the installer and through this app,
you can update whatever area you like.
Unfortunately "microsoft" stoped updating this a loooooong time ago. :(

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but if you check out any real world airports in Greece you will discover that not many have a ILS approach. The only reason I can think of is the cost is just to much for some of these cities.
The other thing would be noise abatement issue by not having a ils approach aircraft can come from more than just two directions of course the terrain has a lot to do with the lack of a ILS approach as well a good example would be KJAN
(Jackson Hole Wyoming)
it has one ILS runway and that is from the west which is the side that has fewer mountains and therefore can have the glide slope needed for a ILS approach.
Airports in the Alps have the same problem the terrain limits a airport to have a ILS runway because of the terrain
Of course I could be way out in left field here but it sounds reasonable
I guess the question here is what does a airport need to have to have a ILS runway? Other than the equipment that transmits the ILS signal I honestly do not know.
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
CH Rudder Peddles 27 inch Wide screen Monitor
garymbuska
Major
Major

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam