I feel like a failure :(

Real aviation things here. News, items of interest, information, questions, etc!

I feel like a failure :(

Postby BFMF » Wed Apr 23, 2003 8:41 am

Yesterday, a friend who is a Flight instructor, took me up in a Cessna 172. After a few minutes into the flight, I wasn't feeling well. I made by best attempt to have fun, and I did, but after half an hour, we returned to the airport because I just couldn't stomach it :(

It has left me a little depressed now. I've spent my whole life dreaming and being obsessed with aviation. I've spent well over a thousand hours using the flight simulators, but when it comes to the real thing, I just can't handle it. :'( :'(

Am I the only one like this?
BFMF
Colonel
Colonel

Re: I feel like a failure :(

Postby Craig. » Wed Apr 23, 2003 9:01 am

can i ask exactly what the problem was?? bad weather making you feel sick or just bumpy or what??
i am sure if you can go up there again a few more times it'll get better. if its  been a life dream dont give up on it for one bad experiance.
or was the weather rather hot and humid in there?
well i wish you the best and hope you can find a way round this problem
Craig.
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Deputy » Wed Apr 23, 2003 9:05 am

Yesterday, a friend who is a Flight instructor, took me up in a Cessna 172. After a few minutes into the flight, I wasn't feeling well. I made by best attempt to have fun, and I did, but after half an hour, we returned to the airport because I just couldn't stomach it :(

It has left me a little depressed now. I've spent my whole life dreaming and being obsessed with aviation. I've spent well over a thousand hours using the flight simulators, but when it comes to the real thing, I just can't handle it. :'( :'(

Am I the only one like this?

Hey buddy, you aren't the only one. You are by no means a failure. Some of the best pilots couldn't take it during the first flights they made. You are not a failure. I have had many many students just like you, and they were not failures. Failure is too powerful of a word, because you are definatly not a failure Andy.

-Brad
Bad boys, bad boys, whatcha gonna do? Whatcha gonna do when I come for you?

Iustita Omnibus
Justice for All

Women are: attractive, single, mentally stable. Pick two.
[img]http://www.simviation.com/yabbuploads/
Deputy
Major
Major

Postby Redwing » Wed Apr 23, 2003 10:05 am

I've had some flight experience in a Cessna Aerobat; I remember I felt sick for the first few flights (never actually hurled, but I had to make a real effort to hold it back!). After I was signed off to fly on my own, I liked to take up friends and scare the hell out of them doing rolls, loops, and spins. That is, until one of them puked all over the right-side door. The smell was terrible; had to cut short the flight and return to the airport (and clean up the mess!). I always carried a plastic baggie along after that.

Air/motion sickness is not uncommon (I'll bet all or most pilots have experienced queasiness at some time). With experience you'll get over it. :)
Redwing
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Craig. » Wed Apr 23, 2003 10:15 am

i have first time the instructor made the thing stall and also first tight turn
and your def not a failure andrew
Craig.
Colonel
Colonel

Postby SilverFox441 » Wed Apr 23, 2003 11:02 am

Being an accomplished sim-pilot actually makes it more likely that this will happen on a first flight...your eyes and inner ear aren't agreeing on what seems familiar. :)

As you gain flight time they adjust and you should feel fine.

I once watched an "Ego-driver" (F-15 Pilot) turn green in the back of a 414 Sqdn Falcon. Same problem you probably experienced...mismatch between visual cues and inner ear sensations.
Steve (Silver Fox) Daly
SilverFox441
Major
Major

Postby ozzy72 » Wed Apr 23, 2003 12:39 pm

Andrew, don't worry. Like Brad said, a lot of people feel this way initially, remember you are suddenly moving in 3 dimensions (unlike all other transport that is limited too 2), and some peoples inner ears are more sensitive than others. Mine are like bricks, I can eat a cooked breakfast on a ship in a gale! Probably explains why I can't skateboard or surf! Lack of necessary sensitivity, pity 'cos I always wanted to surf.
Give it another go, and then another. Just push yourself a little, and before you know it you'll be doing it without thinking, and really loving it! If you want it bad enough you'll overcome anything, and I know you'll succeed.

Mark ;)
There are two types of aeroplane, Spitfires and everything else that wishes it was a Spitfire!
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby BFMF » Wed Apr 23, 2003 1:08 pm

i'm glad i'm not the only one, but it's still depressing
BFMF
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Maccers » Wed Apr 23, 2003 1:57 pm

I'm sure it was just nerves, was it the first time you've flown before?
TBH the second time i flew in a chopper, i felt sick. :-[ RAF Griffon, training exercise, we were practicing some landing in remote areas on a hot day, so turbulance was more than slight. As soon as we touched down the second time I unbuckled my seat-belt and ran out thinking i was about to throw up. I didn't thankfully.
Ask to go up again mate, take some pills before you fly and see how it goes. You'll be more gutted missing out on real aviation than going up and feeling sick again. :)
Athlon XP 1800+, 1GB RAM, Asus V9560 FX 5600 256Mb, 40Gb HDD
Maccers
Major
Major

Postby BFMF » Wed Apr 23, 2003 2:08 pm

I talked to my friend earlier and we're gonna go up again soon. Next time we'll go up in the morning where there is less turbulence, and we'll take it easy
BFMF
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Deputy » Wed Apr 23, 2003 6:52 pm

I talked to my friend earlier and we're gonna go up again soon. Next time we'll go up in the morning where there is less turbulence, and[glb]we'll take it easy[/glb]

OMG what the hell were you doing? Acrobatics?
Bad boys, bad boys, whatcha gonna do? Whatcha gonna do when I come for you?

Iustita Omnibus
Justice for All

Women are: attractive, single, mentally stable. Pick two.
[img]http://www.simviation.com/yabbuploads/
Deputy
Major
Major

Postby Blade » Wed Apr 23, 2003 6:55 pm

I get sick easily sometimes. But the only way your gonna get over it is to do more of it, and climb the ladder. I used to get sick on planes, I don't anymore.

Dell 4550
P4 2.53Ghz
512MB DDR SDRAM
GeForceFX 5900 129MB
60GB HD @ 7200RPM
PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN
Blade
Major
Major

Postby BFMF » Wed Apr 23, 2003 11:07 pm

OMG what the hell were you doing? Acrobatics?

We were doing things like steep turns, making abrubt attutude changes, circling low over neighborhoods, ect. Those sort of things made me very queasy
BFMF
Colonel
Colonel

Postby ozzy72 » Thu Apr 24, 2003 4:49 am

Andrew this behaviour is not going to help. Try some NORMAL flying first to get the feel.
My second time in a Chipmunk (about an hour after my first) we were doing aerobatics, and I'd scoffed a load of Mars Bars and Coke for breakfast, I hadn't eaten before hand as I'd heard stories. But after that I figured what the heck, and then another slot came up so all the first timers were sent up again.... I didn't hurl, but I was white as a sheet and covered in cold sweat for about 3 hours after the 30 mins flight.....

Ozzy
There are two types of aeroplane, Spitfires and everything else that wishes it was a Spitfire!
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby BFMF » Thu Apr 24, 2003 12:23 pm

Andrew this behaviour is not going to help. Try some NORMAL flying first to get the feel.

Yep, we're planning to do some normal flying ;)
BFMF
Colonel
Colonel

Next

Return to Real Aviation