Build your own....

Real aviation things here. News, items of interest, information, questions, etc!

Re: Build your own....

Postby Deputy » Tue Jan 14, 2003 12:22 pm

lol, sure, why not
Bad boys, bad boys, whatcha gonna do? Whatcha gonna do when I come for you?

Iustita Omnibus
Justice for All

Women are: attractive, single, mentally stable. Pick two.
[img]http://www.simviation.com/yabbuploads/
Deputy
Major
Major

Postby awash2002 » Thu Feb 06, 2003 1:14 am

I am also wanting to buidl my own aircraft but I have to pick between 3 aircraft types.

1. aerobatic
2. cross country
3.  speed
Now you see what I have to choose if I could I would have all 3 in one aircraft what kit plane will let me have aerobatic touring and be able to fly at 200kts? and under $50,000 to build?
awash2002
Captain
Captain

Postby Deputy » Thu Feb 06, 2003 9:48 pm

Hmmmmm. . .  I will ask around about that, nothing came to mind.
Bad boys, bad boys, whatcha gonna do? Whatcha gonna do when I come for you?

Iustita Omnibus
Justice for All

Women are: attractive, single, mentally stable. Pick two.
[img]http://www.simviation.com/yabbuploads/
Deputy
Major
Major

Postby ozzy72 » Fri Feb 07, 2003 4:57 am

Hmmm, don't know about price but in Europe the Europa kitplane is v.popular, its made in the UK. It fills your requirements, saw it on a program called Plane Crazy on Discovery the other day. V.nice little toy, 2 seater. Portable etc.

Ozzy
There are two types of aeroplane, Spitfires and everything else that wishes it was a Spitfire!
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby awash2002 » Fri Feb 07, 2003 6:16 am

I will check out the Vans RV-8 at sun n fun this year and other kit aircraft if I can I will get a portable storage for my back yard closed in on both sides
awash2002
Captain
Captain

Postby XP1900 » Mon Mar 17, 2003 10:05 pm

i am building a wittman w10 tailwind (1500hrs since start and another 1500 hrs left to finish). it's a high wing cross country aircraft designed by steve wittman (he was a air racer) in 1953.  it has a 23 foot wingspan, 19.5 foot long from tip of spinner to tail. will cruise at 170-190 mph depending on engine.  stall speed with flaps 55mph without 65mph.  empty weight should around 850-900 pounds.  gross weight 1425 pounds.  engines can be 85-160 hp.  i will be use a lycoming o-320 which will produce 160hp, which should get me in the upper range of the cruise speed.

F.A.A. requirements must be met, and they change from time to time, often without warning - that is that $35,000 King radio stack that you bought is worthless, especially because a lot of shops wont accept radios being returned  

yes the faa paper can take along time to do.  you usaully start the paper work about six to eight months before you are ready to fly.  the quote above isn't hardly true at all with homebuilt aircraft.  the faa doesn't care if you don't have certified avionics, prop, or engine or not.  in fact most homebuilts don't have certified avionics or props.  usaully the engine is the onlly major component that is certified.  but since the engine is in a homebuilt, the owner doesn't have to comply with the ad's on that engine.  it is still a good it idea to comply with them.

keeping a log of what you did during the building process is one thing that the faa looks for.  this could be a website or a photo ablum with dates and a descprition of whats in the pics.  also they will want some proof that you built at least 51% of the plane, so make sure that in some of the pics that you look like you are working on it.  thats about all they will want to see for proof.  

the builder of the plane can also get a repairmans certificate that will allow him to do the annual without an a and p.  all that the faa will want for this is that you build at least 51% and can proof to them that you have the knowledge (after building it you have more than enough knowledge).  

anybody that wants to get into the world of homebuilts should became a member of the eaa and find a local eaa chapter to join.  the eaa has technical counselors that will do a inspection before you inclose a wing or fuselage and this will help prove to the faa that the plane is airworthy.  there is lots of helpfull information to found in these chapters.  

building your own plane takes time but is very rewarding.  before you decided on a design you like you have to think about what skills it will require, what your piloting skills are, and do you have a wife that will leave you because you are spending more time with plane than her.

I am also wanting to buidl my own aircraft but I have to pick between 3 aircraft types.

1. aerobatic  
2. cross country  
3.  speed  
Now you see what I have to choose if I could I would have all 3 in one aircraft what kit plane will let me have aerobatic touring and be able to fly at 200kts? and under $50,000 to build?

you want a plane that can do some aerobatics and fly at 200 for crosscounty?  i think that you should checkout vans rv series.  they will do what you want for under 50k (can cost more depending on if you want full ifr panel).  

here is a link to my site [url]www.geocities.com\kstwind[/url]
XP1900
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Redwing » Fri May 09, 2003 1:42 pm

As the governing aviation authority in the U.S., the FAA is still very much involved with homebuilt aircraft.

Even for Homebuilts, there are FAA procedures that must be followed to receive the Airworthiness certificate for an "Experimental" aircraft; also to receive the Repairman's cert; only ultralights are exempt from having to be certified and registered (I believe they have to weigh under 254 lbs. empty). Even with the repairman's certificate, you can't make any major modifications to the airframe or powerplant without notifying the FAA.

Also, dont' forget, to fly your Experimental aircraft you have to be (or are supposed to be!) a licensed pilot with a current medical certificate. Then of course, as with any aircraft or ultralight, you have to operate it in accordance with FAR's!
Last edited by Redwing on Fri May 09, 2003 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Redwing
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Previous

Return to Real Aviation