Build your own....

Real aviation things here. News, items of interest, information, questions, etc!

Build your own....

Postby The Hunter » Thu Oct 03, 2002 3:55 pm

Has anyone here build his owne plane?? ???
I really like to do it but I think there's a lot of work... ::)
Anyway, I'm making plans for a small plane, 3m max. wich would take off really fast and with not much room... ::)
Just want your ideas... :)
(anything is possible, allready tought of a Harrier configuration with model-jet-engines ;D ;D ;D)
[glow=yellow,5,500]As long as you stay in the air flying is fun!![/glow]
And if you 're just staring at your screen, visit my site :http://www.geocities.com/predatorianhunter
The Hunter
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Build your own....

Postby TJ_Gumby » Thu Oct 03, 2002 8:53 pm

This is a question for the aircraft design section of the forum but yes you can design your own planes.
TJ_Gumby
Captain
Captain

Postby The Hunter » Fri Oct 04, 2002 10:21 am

no no I mean a REAL plane... ::)
[glow=yellow,5,500]As long as you stay in the air flying is fun!![/glow]
And if you 're just staring at your screen, visit my site :http://www.geocities.com/predatorianhunter
The Hunter
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby ozzy72 » Thu Oct 31, 2002 7:34 am

Hunter, I'm looking at this at the moment, as I've just discovered the Marcel Jurca MJ100, which is a full-sized Spitfire replica. And I can't afford the million or so pounds it costs to buy an original. I don't know anyone who is doing a build, but there are some people who have web pages on the builds they are doing.
I've got to get some books on this and see if my woodwork skills are up to the job.......
Anyone fancy helping? You know, recommend a good psychiatrist or something.....

Ozzy ;D
There are two types of aeroplane, Spitfires and everything else that wishes it was a Spitfire!
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby pete » Thu Oct 31, 2002 12:38 pm

It's something i too have been interested infor several years. I know 2 people who have built their own & follow keenly the various TV series about homebuilts.

One thing I can tell you - if you are thinking of building to your own design - it may be better to start with a kit. I think you'd save yourself a lot of headaches by getting the experience of this. Even a kit will usually take a few 100 hours of meticulous work (right up my street..)

You alos need a reasonable workshop - big enough to store the aircraft & have work surfaces - a mere dream for me at the moment ... I don't even have enough room to start work on a 1929 car I bought 5 years ago which is sadly lying disassembled in an unused stable ...  :-/
Keep us posted ;)
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby ozzy72 » Fri Nov 01, 2002 5:28 am

Well Pete I too am in the space situation. We're living in a flat at the moment, as the people building our house have gone bankrupt, but one thing I did do when we designed the house was organise a huge basement/garage for this purpose. And with the Marcel Jurca plans they are literally templates you lay out on the wood and cut. So cheaper than a kit, and not as difficult as a full-on scratch build. I'll let you know whats happening.
Just got to convince the missus that we really NEED this aircraft, and its not just me fulfilling a pre-pubescent male fantasy....... Hmm tricky. Any ideas???

Ozzy
There are two types of aeroplane, Spitfires and everything else that wishes it was a Spitfire!
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Craig. » Fri Nov 01, 2002 5:38 am

be a man let her know whos boss and say you want that aircraft no matter what:) and of coarse if that doesnt work i'm sure a nice dinner and gift could also work.
:) but then again who would turn down the opportunity to own an aircraft
Craig.
Colonel
Colonel

Postby ozzy72 » Fri Nov 01, 2002 11:43 am

I've tried that. She's just not into flying. She tolerates my hobby but nowt more.
And if you've ever seen Monica Seles (she's of Hungarian origin) doing a forehand lob, thats my missus (she's Hungarian) wielding a frying pan. Hungarian chicks are beautiful and intelligent, but dangerous.
I'll just keep dropping subtle hints once the house is finished......

Mark ;D
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Craig. » Sun Nov 03, 2002 6:23 am

well better to be safe than sorry:)
good luck with the convincing
Craig.
Colonel
Colonel

Postby choper » Mon Dec 23, 2002 9:37 pm

my neibor is building an rv6a he has been working on it fo 6 years now but looks realy good    www.vansaircraft.com
choper
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby BMan1113VR » Tue Dec 24, 2002 12:43 pm

i can't even imagine building my own plane

car yes. . . plane, i think not ::)
Sincerely,
Me

SimV NFL 2006-2007 Season Pool Co-Champion (157-99; 9-2)
SimV NFL 2005-2006 Season Pool Co-Champion (163-93)
SimV NFL 2004-2005 Season Pool Champion (1
BMan1113VR
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Fozzer » Tue Dec 24, 2002 5:45 pm

[quote]my neibor is building an rv6a he has been working on it fo 6 years now but looks realy good
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby choper » Tue Dec 24, 2002 11:04 pm

thank it dose take a long time and it seams even longer cuz u dont get any where any time fast my dad and i are thinking of building the rv10 when it is put out in kit form it will be a thrill to put tugater and think of it this way u get a plane that seats 4 people goes over 200 knts with one engin u do your own micanics to it and only cost about 40,000$ u will bee luckey to find a beat up old 172 for that kind of $
choper
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Deputy » Mon Jan 06, 2003 12:10 am

I have to warn you on some things.

1. Building a kit plane can be a very teidious task, not to mention spendy.

2. F.A.A. requires all aircraft be inspected, and checked before flight. Dont expect them to show up overnight.

3. Most people start a project, and then quit after they realize how long it takes to build the plane, and drop it.

4. F.A.A. requirements must be met, and they change from time to time, often without warning - that is that $35,000 King radio stack that you bought is worthless, especially because a lot of shops wont accept radios being returned
Last edited by Deputy on Tue Jan 14, 2003 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bad boys, bad boys, whatcha gonna do? Whatcha gonna do when I come for you?

Iustita Omnibus
Justice for All

Women are: attractive, single, mentally stable. Pick two.
[img]http://www.simviation.com/yabbuploads/
Deputy
Major
Major

Postby Iroquois » Fri Jan 10, 2003 9:24 pm

I've built flying models, does that count?
[center]I only pretend to know what I'm talking about. Heck, that's what lawyers, car mechanics, and IT professionals do everyday. ;)
The Rig:
AMD Athlon XP2000+ Palomino, ECS K7S5A 3.1, 1GB PC2700 DDR, Geforce FX5200 128mb, SB Live P
Iroquois
Major
Major

Next

Return to Real Aviation