FS2006

If it doesn't fit .. It fits here .. - -

What features do you like improvement on or want to have?

The beaches
Updated scenery and mesh
Texture Compression
Video Card support
Updated Airports
AI flight plans and parking
Road traffic
Major Ave's and Streets. Not just highways

View results

FS2006

Postby Katahu » Sun Jan 04, 2004 7:42 pm

I know this has been asked a lot of times, but some people's attitudes towards realism tend to change as time goes by.
Katahu
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: FS2006

Postby Politically Incorrect » Sun Jan 04, 2004 7:47 pm

Scenery needs allot of work!!
I just flew around Daytona Beach and it doesn't even look like it!! Just a couple of hotels no strip, nothing, if it wasn't for the ocean there I would have thought I was flying through Idaho! Not to mention where is Daytona International Speedway? Home of the biggest sporting event in the world!! They have plenty of little ball parks but the home of The Great American Race isn't!!
Also the much mentioned bridges, some better roads with traffic etc.
Some more stuff for us who like to fly VFR!!
How about some birds!! And wildlife! I could go on and on!!
Politically Incorrect
Major
Major

Postby Katahu » Sun Jan 04, 2004 8:08 pm

The FS-version of Miami doesn't also doesn't look anyway near like the real-world version of Miami.

I have driven from kendall to South Beach, I have flown over Biscayne Bay and Key Biscayne, I have even rode a boat across the bay. I did all this in real life.

But when I go to FS and fly over the same areas, it becomes difficult for me to accept the kind of work that M$ did.

I went to www.terraserver.com so that I can make templates for the coast of Miami. Not as scenery textures, but as templates because I'm learning to use Coastline Maker. I wanted to improve the coast in the area.

Here is what Miami is suppose to look like at the coast.

Now fly over Miami in FS and see the difference. Microsoft's lack of effort clearly does not justify the $60 I have spent for the simulator. :-/

In FS, the port of miami does not even look the real-world counterpart of the Port of Miami. The same problem goes for the Keys and bridges.

I am no longer going to buy any of the FS series until Microsoft cleans the mess it made.
Katahu
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Daz » Sun Jan 04, 2004 8:12 pm

cmon guys microsoft has to create the whole world!!! give em credit i think fs2004 is a big acheivement in terms of detail and realism (apart from miami ) but its not end of world some scenery designer will come along and sort it all out.
AMD athlon XP2800+ @2.34ghz
Epox 8RDA3G 400 fsb, 8x AGP
1024MB DDR400 PC3200
XFX 256MB FX5950 Ultra (oc 525/1.04)
40 gig maxtor 7200rpm
80 gig seagate baracuda 7200rpm
Daz
Major
Major

Postby Katahu » Sun Jan 04, 2004 8:22 pm

Miami is one of the most well-known places in the US. I fact, Miami is the #1 drug-capital of the world and is the place where movies like "2 Fast 2 Furious" and "Bad Boyz 2" was made. The Home of the Florida Marlins is also here.

I'm suprised that M$, with all it's corporate power and resources, has overlooked this place.

I understand that this is huge work for M$, but still, why do they make the famous places look ugly and dead?

I have also been to Daytona. I use to visit Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University for an interview, but never enrolled over there. I can't even see the University over there in FS. If it's already there, then M$ didn't make it noticable as it should be.
Katahu
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby nowmormat » Sun Jan 04, 2004 9:26 pm

They should make the lakes freeze in winter. :)
nowmormat
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby BE58D » Sun Jan 04, 2004 9:46 pm

AI HELICOPTERS!!!!!  >:(
HP Pavillion = p7-1233w
3.20GHz Processor
24GB of RAM (Windows 7 Home Premium only allows for 16GB though) :'(
Radeon 7560D - 4059MB
1TB SATA Internal Hard Drive
BE58D
Major
Major

Postby Katahu » Sun Jan 04, 2004 11:03 pm

Hmm, I have noticed that we have recommended AI helicopters, but they never appeared. We have even talked about this long before FS9 came out.

As for the scenery, M$ has a lot of money and resources. Therefore, they would have easily just bought satellite images from sites like Terraserver and used those to update the scenery.

NVIDIA's download section recommends a program called Key Hole [a satellite image program].

And to top it all off, these images are completely up to date. If NVIDIA [a large corporate giant] can utilize those images, why doesn't M$? I guess M$ is too lazy or too cheap. >:(

Those up-to-date images would have made things realistic for all of us in terms of scenery.

MS was doing a good job until they made and released FS2000. WHAT THE H377 HAPPENED??!!
Katahu
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby sdk » Mon Jan 05, 2004 4:31 am

We have trouble with frame rates now so to ask MS to get every detail in every city right is asking too much.
As long as we have talented people to create the various mods we should be grateful
sdk
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Politically Incorrect » Mon Jan 05, 2004 4:46 am

I understand M$ for not including every little scenery detail because of the end result of a huge program and higher price. But I think what Katahu and also myself are trying to point out it the lack of scenery detail in the places that most simmers will fly to.
I have found little remote areas even unheard off that have better detailed scenery than some of the bigger well known places. Even New York doesn't look like it really does! And it has been well over 16 yrs since I have been there and I know it doesn't look the way it does in the sim.
All in all I really like FS9, it is the first sim I have tried so I can't personally compare it to previous versions but it is impressive. But like in earlier post I fly VFR and when flying in a area that I'm familiar with in real life I get quite disappointed when flying it in the sim I get lost easy because of the landmarks that I would use to guide myself aren't there!!
Politically Incorrect
Major
Major

Postby BAW19 » Mon Jan 05, 2004 8:20 am

Like to see a decent ATC Radar screen so some of us can man the tower in multiplayer mode. Also think it's high time they put audio into multi player so we can tallk to each other?
While we're suggesting things, after years of flying I'm getting bored, I need a reason to go somewhere. Would be great if MS embedded a game engine in there to let me run a business buying, transporting and selling cargo or taking passengers here and there. Be nice to see how big the company gets!
BAW19
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Nexus » Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:19 am

Flight sim tries to re-create the whole world, so why this tirade of Miami???
Let's add your city to the list of 1000's other who is not depicted correctly in the sim, shall we?

More curved, smooth coast lines will just boost the polygon count, so more people would have trouble with getting acceptable frame rates. Is that a fair trade off?

I'm all for getting more realistic commercial airliners, the ones included in FS are a joke, period.
:)
Last edited by Nexus on Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nexus
Major
Major

Postby Politically Incorrect » Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:28 am

Flight sim tries to re-create the whole world, so why this tirade of Miami???

I'm not just speaking of FL alone, I'm talking about major cities where just about every flight simmer will pick to fly too.
Not neccessarly every city.
Like I said I've seen little out of the way places that have better detail than the worlds greatest cities!!
You would think M$ would concentrate their detail efforts for cities most likely to be flowen to or from.
New York is a fine example I would be willing to bet there isn't one person out there who owns FS that hasn't already flowen too, around, or from NY!! And if you say you haven't chances are you are lying:)
Politically Incorrect
Major
Major

Postby Katahu » Mon Jan 05, 2004 12:13 pm

I noticed that Seatle has more detail than a handleful of other places.

I also flew over Homestead in real life. The Air Reserve Base looks just like any other DULL airport.

I have been to the base a thousand times and I RARELY see just ONE civilian plane parked in the tarmac. Not only that, the base is quite a large place due to its many facilities and houses.

OK, enough about South Florida.

I'm surprised that after every flight sim that was ever released by M$, I have STILL not seen not even ONE fence that surrounds all airports.

Not only that, the bridges as well.

I mean, look at them. Some of them are in places where they shouldn't be.

I was flying down along the Florida Keys to Key Largo. On my way there, I saw bridge that connected from one of the Keys to the OCEAN?? ???

Seriously, one end of the bridge was connected to land while the other end was connected to water and nothing more.

Not only that, there are many MAJOR bridges in places where you don't need a major bridge at all.

Simple scenery objects that are misplaced?

The only thing I like about FS9 is the weather. Beyond, the sim needs work.

Ok, enough about scenery. What about video card support?

I don't think the simulators are utilizing the full potential of our video cards at all. Instead, the graphics are just hogging all the resources without using our video cards' special features first.

Not only that, the technical support that M$ provides for the sim is pathetic. I sent an e-mail to M$ about a technical issue that happened to me long ago. More than half a year later, I still haven't recieved a reply. Whenever I did, they say: "Thank you for buying our products and supporting M$. We cannot help you right now because our service is ." >:(
Last edited by Katahu on Mon Jan 05, 2004 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Katahu
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Nexus » Mon Jan 05, 2004 1:46 pm

Katahu, once again I have to REMIND you of that the simulator has more than 23.000 THOUSANDS of airports in the simulator. To re-create only 10% of them as they are in real life, would mean to make 2300 individual airports. That's just time consuming.
Regarding the fences, why even bother man...you're here to fly the darned machines not to look at the fences. If you like fences, go outside and look at yours.

It's a 40$ desktop simulator guys, seems like you are forgetting that altogether.

Regarding the graphics card support...due to the vast environment displayed in the simulator, lots of textures are being used and stored in our GPU's memory. FS 2004 doesn't even utilize any fancy pixel/vertex shading techniques or bump mapping textures. And we should be happy it is like that  or else we'd have a simulator none of us could run smoothly.

MS had to compromise when creating the game-engine. If they made it more advanced, many potential customers would be lost since their hardware would not keep up.

This sim is fantastic, and I can't understand why on earth you even care to bother yourself over fences and some airports in southern florida.

Jyst my 0.02$
Nexus
Major
Major

Next

Return to General Discussion