MS Flight CANCELLED.

The latest and discontinued 'Flight' Game from Microsoft -

Re: MS Flight CANCELLED.

Postby pete » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:32 pm

Please let's not forget the developers of Flight.

THEY were passionate about what they did. Some were ex Aces/Flight Simulator developers. They would, had they been allowed, have continued the FS11.

It was the higher powers in M$ who think only of the $ numbers. They don't think at all of the 'bigger picture' and the long view.

So - It's the $$$$ men @ MS to Blame. Not the MS Flight Team
Last edited by pete on Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby JBaymore » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:47 pm

$$$$ people are who destroy the world.

True at so many levels.

best,

..................john
Image ImageIntel i7 960 quad 3.2G LGA 1366, Asus P6X58D Premium, 750W Corsair, 6 gig 1600 DDR3, Spinpoint 1TB 720
JBaymore
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Xpand » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:18 pm

If they had an ounce of human decency they'd at least give it out as 'abandonware' with the SDK ..... and allow the 1000's of us that could develop it to bring it on into something amazing ......

I couldn't agree more!
I wouldn't mind spending my time helping to improve the game. But we all know that decency isn't something that's inherent to M$, sadly...
Xpand
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Strategic Retreat » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:25 am

True at so many levels.

best,

..................john

Sadly enough, not only regarding software of any kind.
There is no such a thing as overkill. Only unworthy targets.
Strategic Retreat
Captain
Captain

Postby JBaymore » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:07 pm

True at so many levels.

best,

..................john

Sadly enough, not only regarding software of any kind.

My point exactly.  ::)
Image ImageIntel i7 960 quad 3.2G LGA 1366, Asus P6X58D Premium, 750W Corsair, 6 gig 1600 DDR3, Spinpoint 1TB 720
JBaymore
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby machineman9 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:17 am

It still surprises me to hear that, even with Microsoft, money is ever an issue in producing a good product.

On the beta forums for MS Flight, there would be hourly topics where people were asking where the AI was, asking how to use the radios, asking how to skip the missions, asking how to make it more challenging.

They've also released a new DLC - The Carbon Cub... For like
Last edited by machineman9 on Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
machineman9
Major
Major

Postby JBaymore » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:04 am

It still surprises me to hear that, even with Microsoft, money is ever an issue in producing a good product.

I understand they just posted their first time ever first quarter LOSS.

best,

..................john
JBaymore
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby alrot » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:14 am

[quote]It still surprises me to hear that, even with Microsoft, money is ever an issue in producing a good product.

On the beta forums for MS Flight, there would be hourly topics where people were asking where the AI was, asking how to use the radios, asking how to skip the missions, asking how to make it more challenging.

They've also released a new DLC - The Carbon Cub... For like
Last edited by alrot on Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Venezuela
alrot
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Strategic Retreat » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:22 pm

Yeah. They shot themselves in the foot and didn't notice their own pain.

More like brought a knife to a gunfight, and then had the ABSOLUTE CHEEK to feel offended they were shot down repeatedly without being able to do anything about it.

Way to show you've been the top of the market for so long only for a chance or a mistake.
Last edited by Strategic Retreat on Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Strategic Retreat
Captain
Captain

Postby pete » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:56 pm

I remember the day MS (maybe even Bill Gates) dismissed the internet ... (He did learn quickly of his dumb error)

The thing all businesses, games, people - EVERYTHING - need to pay attention to -  is that if you piss people off - it will be public very soon. The internet is THE medium of today and it is 100% democratic. If people don't like something - it will soon be known. MS unfortunately have a built in arrogance after years at the top.

Flight was what it proved to be. Most here thought it from the outset. Some defended it - I suppose in optimism.

Looking at how we had to pay for every little bit of everything that barely matched the best of what FSX already had to offer in a tiny % of it's area - maybe it's best that Flight is gone -
Last edited by pete on Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby alrot » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:09 pm

Nice wise words Pete

I wonder what will happen to the currents sceneries and airplanes add on ,I mean they could sale after this some few more but there will be a time (and that will be very soon ) that Nobody will remember Flight..

are they going to give it for free ?

just wondering  :D

Alex

Venezuela
alrot
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby jetprop » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:20 pm

[quote]

Nice wise words Pete

I wonder what will happen to the currents sceneries and airplanes add on ,I mean they could sale after this some few more but there will be a time (and that will be very soon ) that Nobody will remember Flight..
jetprop
Major
Major

Postby machineman9 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:03 pm

[quote]remember this?

[quote]
Last edited by machineman9 on Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
machineman9
Major
Major

Postby ViperPilot » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:15 pm

The cancellation of MS Flight is just another continuing chapter in the epic called The Slide of Microsoft.

Microsoft's in bad shape right now. They are a computer software company run by corporate executives that have no clue as to what and who their market is. Posting their first profit loss for a quarter in many years, they are scrambling to 'circle the wagons' and consolidate every bit of extraneous revenue possible. Flight is one of those casualties; a bastion of negative press that Microsoft could not continue to be associated with.

With all of the negative publicity surrounding Win 8 and its incompatibilities with legacy peripherals and software it is not surprising that the corporate mentality in Redmond is to 'cut, cut, cut' all of the fat while they can, run lean and sneaky, and hope they can ride out the storm for as long as possible. I would not be surprised if this trend continues, especially if the release of Win 8 falls flat.

The Flight team should be commended for their attempts; they were doing their job with the same passion and excitement we had come to expect for developers. In the end, it was their upper management and
MS Corporate that flat lined Flight, plain and simple.
ViperPilot
Captain
Captain

Postby Strategic Retreat » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:28 am

I remember the day MS (maybe even Bill Gates) dismissed the internet ... (He did learn quickly of his dumb error)

Hmmmmn... no, not quite. He did not dismiss internet as it was, he was sharp enough to recognize the potentiality of such a worldwide net and wanted to create an internet that was HIS. Personal. Constrained. Restricted. Bound only to him, M$ and their desires.

Who among you still remembers like I do the icon of "The Microsoft Network", on ALL the desktops of Win95? Ever asked yourself what it was and what was there for? It was a veritable Trojan Horse of the non viral kind. A Trojan Horse that was never welcomed in our citadels, fortunately.

A proper nightmare. Just think of an Internet ruled by M$... on which you can do whatever you want, bur only as long M$ agrees... and try not to puke.

M$'s hubris level back then redlined for the first, but sadly not the last time. And in fact, with the first and only patch the TCP-IP protocol was released (it was that or stand back and look at someone else doing it in their place) and everyone could connect to The Real Internet.

The Flight team should be commended for their attempts; they were doing their job with the same passion and excitement we had come to expect for developers. In the end, it was their upper management and MS Corporate that flat lined Flight, plain and simple.

No one here with a brain blames the coders and programmers of Flight. Coders and programmers can be blamed for FSX (but it was another team) which code is rubbish at best, not Flight. Coders and programmers of Flight did their best to keep in line with what was asked of them. They could not make available a feature if the higher ups told them in a non uncertain way not to include, and even if the perhaps wanted Flight to be something better, the eggheads above managed to mess it up BADLY, and now are coders and programmers that are laid off.

A little like; I am a road worker, the head engineer tells me to lay down a road pavement in a certain way, it is discovered then that that road pavement is not adequate to the task, and I am fired instead of the idiot who gave the order.

It happens all too often, and the sympathies go to those who were wronged, not the SOBs that caused the problem. Speaking for myself, I've never blamed the coders and programmers of Flight. When I've hurled written lightnings to M$, I've always directed them to the idiots on the top, apparently so eager and determined to mess it up again, and again, and again, and then another time too.
Last edited by Strategic Retreat on Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Strategic Retreat
Captain
Captain

PreviousNext

Return to Microsoft 'Flight'