New freeware addon for Flight

The latest and discontinued 'Flight' Game from Microsoft -

New freeware addon for Flight

Postby JoBee » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:11 pm

The first addon for Flight has been released by FSWidgets.

A free moving map for Flight is available on the downloads page.

http://fswidgets.com/shop/index.php

cheers,
Joe
Don't argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
JoBee
Captain
Captain

Re: New freeware addon for Flight

Postby Flying Trucker » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:13 pm

And the PLOT thickens... ;D

Thanks for the Link... :)
Cheers...Happy Landings...Doug
Flying Trucker
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Boikat » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:57 pm

My ears might perk up when i see something along the lines of a freeware Buck Rogers Thunderfighter, a Last Starfighter Gunstar or a Mountain Banshee
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own" Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Boikat
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:01 pm

It
Last edited by Fozzer on Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby jetprop » Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:59 am

My ears might perk up when i see something along the lines of a freeware Buck Rogers Thunderfighter, a Last Starfighter Gunstar or a Mountain Banshee

Sadly enough there won't be any addon aircraft unless you count the ones by M$...
jetprop
Major
Major

Postby JoBee » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:29 am

Sadly enough there won't be any addon aircraft unless you count the ones by M$...

And you know this because you work for Microsoft, right?

This is a constructive thread about what is likely the first third party addon for Flight, please don't interrupt this conversation with lies and unknown facts.

thanks.

cheers,
Joe
Don't argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
JoBee
Captain
Captain

Postby jetprop » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:44 am

This is a constructive thread about what is likely the first third party addon for Flight, please don't interrupt this conversation with lies and unknown facts.

thanks.

cheers,
Joe

Actualy,they SAID that there won't be any freeware addons,all addon traffic will be controlled by them...

I am not sure if MS will allow that addon,but its a seperate program so its confusing.
jetprop
Major
Major

Postby JoBee » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:48 am

thanks.

cheers,
Joe

Actualy,they SAID that there won't be any freeware addons,all addon traffic will be controlled by them...

I am not sure if MS will allow that addon,but its a seperate program so its confusing.

Where did they say that?

Can you give me a link so I can get up to date?

cheers,
Joe
JoBee
Captain
Captain

Postby JBaymore » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:56 am

Joe,

Aside from other possible sources of this information... . Pete (our host and webmaster) was invited to a Microsoft event pre-release of Flight. 

That information was specifically told to him and the other people Microsoft invited to attend.  It was posted in a thread directly by Pete.

But one has to also account for the fact that Pete was specifically told that the game (and they stressed that fact too) was going to be HAWAII ONLY.  Nothing else.  Period.  So with recent info on possible other segments of the world, it is looking like they likely "fed a bill of goods" to a number of prominent flight sim folks at that event.

best,

...............john
Image ImageIntel i7 960 quad 3.2G LGA 1366, Asus P6X58D Premium, 750W Corsair, 6 gig 1600 DDR3, Spinpoint 1TB 720
JBaymore
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby andy190 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:47 pm

Where did they say that?

They basically said it here. http://forum.avsim.net/index.php?app=ccs&module=pages§ion=pages&folder=/AVSIM%20Pages&id=8

Also Joe, you don't need to defend Flight, MS can do that themselves.

Intel Core i5-2310 CPU @ 2.90GHz, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450, Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro
andy190
Major
Major

Postby JoBee » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:09 pm

I am not defending Flight so much as trying to stay informed.

In doing so, time after time I have read posts by people with no inside knowledge passing along erroneous info.

I read that interview and nowhere in it does J. Howard say there will be no third party addon content.

In fact he leaves the door open for just the opposite.

When asked specifically about 3PD he says...   
"Today, as we
JoBee
Captain
Captain

Postby jetprop » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:06 am

[quote]I am not defending Flight so much as trying to stay informed.

In doing so, time after time I have read posts by people with no inside knowledge passing along erroneous info.

I read that interview and nowhere in it does J. Howard say there will be no third party addon content.

In fact he leaves the door open for just the opposite.

When asked specifically about 3PD he says...
jetprop
Major
Major

Postby pete » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:01 am

Yes I was told in December there would be DEFINITELY NO 3rd party content. It seems they are changing their minds a little - probably in reaction to feedback. - But if they are changing their minds it is since release and ongoing ....

However the policy was definitely in house only .......

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/intervie ... ght/091961

Quote:

Q. [b]Obviously there are several publishers who
Last edited by pete on Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby DaveSims » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:04 am

The real answer is, Microsoft sees all the payware sites making money off of add-ons for their product, and gets dollar signs in their eyes.  They figure if all payware has to go through them first, they will get a cut of the profits.  And they see third party freeware as competition to those profits.  Easy answer, cut out all direct third party transactions, and make everyone use their stupid Live thing.  I refuse, and will be happy for quite a long time with FS9 and FSX.  Adios Microsoft!
DaveSims
Major
Major

Postby JoBee » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:13 pm

Well I still haven't seen anything that says there will never be any third party content, in fact everything I have read leaves that door open.

Does anybody remember the challenges created by the FSX service paks?

Did any of you have any problems with your addons after you applied sp2?

Did any 3PDs have to scramble and produce patches for their pre-sp2 releases so they would work with sp2?

Did any of those 3PDs make any money off of those patches?

Can you honestly say that you believe Microsoft is not aware of all the distress that sp2 caused?

The biggest difference between Flight and all previous MSFS releases is the distribution model.

With Flight there is no need to release service paks, any needed core updates can be applied automatically when you launch Flight.

So maybe Microsoft will open up the 3PD market after it is happy with how the core works and confident that there will not be any major patches required.

Another point to consider is that right now there is no ATC, only basic navaids, and a few islands in close proximity to each other. Do you think PMDG has any interest in building a 747 for that?

As time goes on we may see, for example,
JoBee
Captain
Captain

Next

Return to Microsoft 'Flight'