XP/Windows Setup, System Optimizing and Drivers

FSX including FSX Steam version.

Re: XP/Windows Setup, System Optimizing and Drivers

Postby NickN » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:15 am

As posted in a edit on the first page of the thread.. for those using O&O defrag and seeing visual corruption of the bootime interface, here is the fix from O&O Software

NOTE:

For Boot Time visual interface corruption please note this fix from O&O:

This problem does happen when our graphics driver is not compatible with your graphics card. Please rename the following file:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\oobctm.sys

eg. to

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\oobctm.bak

This file is the grahics card driver for O&O Defrag. If the file is not there, the Windows default driver will be used for offline defragmentation instead.

Note: Don't open O&O Defrag after you rename the driver, this will cause to reinstall the driver again. Therefore change the settings for the offline defragmentation before.

Restart your computer and the offline defragmentation should run. If you can see everything correctly, do the following after Windows is loaded:

- close O&O Defrag if it was open

- delete the file C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\oobctm.sys

- create a file in this folder with notepad and name it "oobctm.sys"

(please take care that the file extensions are correct and are not hidden by Windows explorer)

- open O&O Defrag, it should not install the driver again

=====================================
Last edited by NickN on Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
NickN
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby raptorx » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:06 pm

Thanks for the fix.

Nick, I have O&O v11 and the computer doesn't reboot after the offline defrag like the earlier versions did, it goes directly into windows.  That's fine, right?  

-Jim
Rampage II Gene, i7 965 4GHz
Mushkin Redline DDR3 1600
XP x64 SP2
ASUS Matrix GTX285
raptorx
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby NickN » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:49 pm

author=raptorx link=1208959973/300#302 date=1237943184]Thanks for the fix.

Nick, I have O&O v11 and the computer doesn't reboot after the offline defrag like the earlier versions did, it goes directly into windows. That's fine, right?

-Jim

yes, its normal
NickN
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby ShaneR35 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:27 pm

Hey, Nick.

I never did figure out the SuperFetch problem as per my previous post, but no matter :)

As I have a Dell XPS system with Motherboard raid, I decided to wipe my system, get rid of the raid, and start fresh.

So, I went through everything in this thread and now my system is running great as is FSX.

Thanks for the work here :)

Shane.

PS.  I tried the Superfetch tweek again during this process, with the same result. At a loss as to why.  But, FSX is running fine, so we'll leave it at that :)
ShaneR35
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby ShaneR35 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:34 pm

You can flush the prefetch folder and run the reg file you saved, reboot and let the system return to original if for some reason you do not like the result. It may take one or 2 reboots to restore the prefetch system.

Stupid question, Nick. After we revert, to we again run:

rundll32 advapi32,ProcessIdleTasks

Thanks.
ShaneR35
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby NickN » Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:00 pm

You can flush the prefetch folder and run the reg file you saved, reboot and let the system return to original if for some reason you do not like the result. It may take one or 2 reboots to restore the prefetch system.

Stupid question, Nick. After we revert, to we again run:

rundll32 advapi32,ProcessIdleTasks

Thanks.

no.. no reason to
NickN
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby thetford569 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:44 pm

Nick, (or anyone else who might have a good suggestion)

I have followed your excellent setup guide with great results up until a recent hardware upgrade.  In December I upgraded my computer with a new Gigabyte motherboard (EP45-UD3R) and added some Corsair XMS 2 RAM to bring my system up from 2GB to 8GB.  I also wiped out the computer and clean installed XP 64 bit as I was running XP Home 32 bit before and wanted it to recognize the extra RAM.  I kept my processor which is a 2.4 GHz Q6600.  I also wanted to overclock the processor eventually.

I setup XP64 according to your guide after I installed the operating system and some other software (MS Office, Photoshop, etc.)  The Windows setup process was complete.  I didn't have time for FSX the last few months so I never installed it to check it out on the new hardware until now.

So, now I went back and checked through your checklist completely again to make sure all the Windows XP stuff was set correctly still and it was.  I also rebuilt the page file as per your guide and finished the XP setup.  I installed FSX with Acceleration.  I then defragged per your guide using O&O version 11.  I only have 34 processes running at boot.  The short version of this story is FSX is only running at 10-11 fps and it is very jerky and stutters.  When I go into spot view I lose all sound and it is even more jerky.  With my old hardware I got 20fps flat with the default flight which is what I'm using now to test it out.  I have no addons installed besides Acceleration as I only wanted to set up FSX for now and then possibly try Tile Proxy out.  The only other thing I have done was overclock the processor to 3.2 GHz however I switched back to a non-overclock and the stuttering and jerkiness was still present.  Any ideas?

Here are my full system specs:

Q6600 2.4 GHz Processor
8 GB RAM (Corsair XMS 2 DDR2 800) [PC2 6400] - These are in 4 slots at 2GB for each stick
Nvidia 7950 GX2 1GB Video Card
Gigabyte EP45-UD3R Motherboard

The only fsx config changes I've made are Job Scheduler, Disable Preload, and Hide Info Text - The problem still exists even with Job Scheduler not in the config.

Thanks for any help you may be able to provide!

Brandon
thetford569
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby thetford569 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:51 pm

just an update I reinstalled FSX thinking I had a corrupt install.  After that I still have the same results.  Jerkiness that was not there with my old hardware, frame rates never above 12 when in Friday Harbor and locked at 20.  I might have not been right about the sound going away in Spot view.  It seemed that it was but it may have been low volume because that seems to be working and when I switched to a jet instead of the ultralight I heard sound.

I also removed two sticks of my RAM to go down to 4GB instead of 8 to see if it helped any which it did not.  I am also using the 178.15 version of NVIDIA drivers for my 7950 GX2 and FSX is installed on its own Raptor Drive away from everything else.  I just can't figure out why my performance is worse than before?

Brandon
thetford569
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby truck911 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:30 pm

author=thetford569 link=1208959973/300#308 date=1239220287]just an update I reinstalled FSX thinking I had a corrupt install. After that I still have the same results. Jerkiness that was not there with my old hardware, frame rates never above 12 when in Friday Harbor and locked at 20. I might have not been right about the sound going away in Spot view. It seemed that it was but it may have been low volume because that seems to be working and when I switched to a jet instead of the ultralight I heard sound.

I also removed two sticks of my RAM to go down to 4GB instead of 8 to see if it helped any which it did not. I am also using the 178.15 version of NVIDIA drivers for my 7950 GX2 and FSX is installed on its own Raptor Drive away from everything else. I just can't figure out why my performance is worse than before?

Brandon

Brandon in lack of a better response I have often experienced worst performance after an initial install of FSX. Don’t ask me why, just seems after a few flights and several days after the install things seem to smooth out.

I suspect you tried all the usual:
1) Latest bios
2) Assuming you are using onboard sound? In any case all latest drivers. Disable onboard sound if using separate sound card.
3) I use the 182.5 drivers with Enhancer per Nick’s instructions with good results.
4) All latest MS updates.
5) Update Directx
a) Also go to FSX main folder “setup” folder and update Directx there as well.
6) Run through the bios settings and see if everything in there is setup ok.
a) Memory timings, voltage, e.t.c.
b) Load defaults usually a good place to start. Change to optimized defaults later.
7) Stick with 4GB memory, ensure you are using correct two slots (1 in each channel same coloured slots)
8) Check system Device Manager for errors.
A) Ensure IDE Primary and Secondary is set to DMA mode.
b) NCQ if available is disabled.

That’s all I can contribute, hope it works out.
Last edited by truck911 on Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards

Gary Anderson
truck911
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby NickN » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:07 pm

I responded in PM letting him know I am tied up.. at the same time what this amounts to is a diagnosis over the internet.. so please do run down the list that Gary provided and do make sure you are correctly setting up FSX by the tuning guide...

http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_p ... ?TID=29041

It looks like I am going to be tied up longer than expected so if after you go over everything problems persist I will see if there is anything I can suggest.

But go down that tuning thread list and work it out.. baring a problem with drivers or hardware I see no reason why you should be having problems however 8GB will never be used by FSX.

Going into spot view and losing sound would indicate either corruption or something very wrong with the hardware.. that does not make sense at all. That is not a perf problem.. that one suggests something is either not right with the sound configuration of the speakers to 5.1 or the correct sound device is not being addressed in the FSX sound settings.

.. or somethin in the hardware/drivers in this system is not working right at all
Last edited by NickN on Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NickN
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby thetford569 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:48 pm

thanks Nick.  I will work my way down the list and check the FSX Tuning Guide this weekend.  I actually have not seen that guide before and it gives me several items to try.  The only guides I had seen were the XP Tuning and FSX Setup guide which I have followed to the t.  If I can't figure it out with this I'll let you know.  Thanks again Nick and also to you truck911 for the list of items to check.

Brandon
thetford569
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby NickN » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:18 pm

author=thetford569 link=1208959973/300#311 date=1239245292]thanks Nick. I will work my way down the list and check the FSX Tuning Guide this weekend. I actually have not seen that guide before and it gives me several items to try. The only guides I had seen were the XP Tuning and FSX Setup guide which I have followed to the t. If I can't figure it out with this I'll let you know. Thanks again Nick and also to you truck911 for the list of items to check.

Brandon

OK then your adventure is just beginning

Installing FSX and addons correctly is step 1

Setting up the system and optimizing correctly is step 2

Setting up FSX and tuning it for your hardware is step 3

Yep.. you will stutter like a rutting pig till you finish you mission and do it right

The first 5 or so posts on the first page of this thread includes all the info/linkage you need. It also includes the link to setting up FSX
Last edited by NickN on Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NickN
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby nyfirefly11 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:00 pm

After setting up FSX correctly, if i then install other programs (non fsx related), do i need to re-run a space or name defrag?

os is on c: drive, and fsx is on d: drive (separate physical disks)

Thx!
nyfirefly11
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby thetford569 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:19 pm

author=NickN link=1208959973/300#312 date=1239301100][quote author=thetford569 link=1208959973/300#311 date=1239245292]thanks Nick. I will work my way down the list and check the FSX Tuning Guide this weekend. I actually have not seen that guide before and it gives me several items to try. The only guides I had seen were the XP Tuning and FSX Setup guide which I have followed to the t. If I can't figure it out with this I'll let you know. Thanks again Nick and also to you truck911 for the list of items to check.

Brandon

thanks...I worked through some of the list last night and will do more tomorrow when I get home from work including removing 2 GB of RAM to go down to 4 GB total. It just makes no sense to me though that my performance would drop from a steady 20 fps and pretty smooth flight to 10 fps and stutters with the same hardware but a better motherboard. And I have not even installed any of my add-ons yet...I just wanted to get FSX+Acceleration running well and then install my add-ons later over a length of time because I just don't have time right now to devote a few days to install everything I have.

One thing I have noticed after taking care of a few things on the list is that if I put the frames into unlimited I get fps in the 30s-40s but it is still a stuttering mess. One thing is though the textures all seem to be sharp and loading. Oh well, I'll keep playing with it and see what happens. I was just lucky before that I didn't have to do this much tweaking I guess?

Brandon

OK then your adventure is just beginning

Installing FSX and addons correctly is step 1

Setting up the system and optimizing correctly is step 2

Setting up FSX and tuning it for your hardware is step 3

Yep.. you will stutter like a rutting pig till you finish you mission and do it right

The first 5 or so posts on the first page of this thread includes all the info/linkage you need. It also includes the link to setting up FSX

thetford569
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby NickN » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:09 pm

After setting up FSX correctly, if i then install other programs (non fsx related), do i need to re-run a space or name defrag?

os is on c: drive, and fsx is on d: drive (separate physical disks)

Thx!

It depends on how big the software is that installs.. For small progs no.. for larger just do the monthly maintenance routine when its time..for something big, yes, I would
NickN
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

PreviousNext

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam