XP/Windows Setup, System Optimizing and Drivers

FSX including FSX Steam version.

Re: XP/Windows Setup, System Optimizing and Drivers

Postby keith-uk » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:35 am

Thanks Nick, everythings running perfect!

Keith.
keith-uk
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby NickN » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:58 pm

NOTE: YOU DO NOT NEED TO DO THIS AS VISTA IS DIFFERENT THAN XP HOWEVER SOME HAVE SEEN A BETTER BOOT TIME BY CHANGING THE PREFETCH SYSTEM TO BOOT OPTIMIZE. IF YOU WISH TO SKIP THIS WITH VISTA YOU CAN HOWEVER IF YOU DO TRY IT AND IT DOES NOT HELP DO MAKE SURE YOU HAVE BACKED UP AS SPECIFIED FIRST SO YOU CAN RETURN THE SYSTEM TO SUPERPREFETCH

If you guys on Vista want to try something here is a way to use part of my list that I marked as DO NOT USE FOR VISTA... and instead use it for VISTA

before you do this... right click this key in the registry

REGEDIT.. find this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters <-----

Right Click PrefetchParameters

Then select EXPORT. Name it Default Boot.reg

You now have a backup of the entire key which you can double click and restore the original key values at anytime

Backup the folder C:\Windows\Prefetch to a safe location.

Copy paste this to a NOTEPAD:

BEGIN COPY:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters]
"BootId"=dword:00000046
"BaseTime"=dword:0ca25fa5
"VideoInitTime"=dword:0000000f
"EnableSuperfetch"=dword:00000001
"EnablePrefetcher"=dword:00000003
"EnableBootTrace"=dword:00000000

END COPY

SAVE the notepad and name it: Boot Prefetch.reg

MAKE SURE the .reg is the file extension!

Double click the file.. the system will ask if you wish to MERGE the information to the registry. Select YES

Flush the Prefetch folder .. reboot and let the slow boot take place which switches the system for a memory hog to a clean boot and sets up the layout.ini file..

and then run the following command in the RUN box to execute the boot prefetch layout command

rundll32 advapi32,ProcessIdleTasks

defrag using O&O as I laid out to use 'layout.ini' with a NAME defrag

that will do the same thing my lists posts for XP and clean out the memory hog from Vista boot

You can flush the prefetch folder and run the reg file you saved, restore the prefetch you backed up and then reboot and let the system return to original if for some reason you do not like the result. It may take one or 2 reboots to restore the prefetch system.
Last edited by NickN on Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
NickN
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby cavity » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:56 pm

Nick,

Why 1024 on the page setting?  It recomends no larger than 250.  Is it different for XP and Vista?

Todd
cavity
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby NickN » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:29 pm

[quote author=cavity link=1208959973/270#272 date=1235437003]Nick,

Why 1024 on the page setting? It recomends no larger than 250. Is it different for XP and Vista?

Todd[/quote]

page setting?

You mean the internet cache?

Since when has MS default suggested settings been right? ;D

You can set it to what ever you like.. you will flush that once a month anyway however keeping a 1GB cache typically makes you internet browsing smoother by keeping it correctly cached for typical use
Last edited by NickN on Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NickN
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby cavity » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:04 pm

Nick,

Yes, the cache, okay, makes complete sense, thanks.

Todd
cavity
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby JimBrown » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:06 pm

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Session Manager\MemoryManagement\PrefetchParameters]

Hi Nick,

I'm pretty certain that we should be looking at "CurrentControlSet", not "ControlSet001".

If so, the Regedit path would be:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\MemoryManagement\PrefetchParameters]

I say this because, if I recall correctly, when you shut down your computer, "ControlSet002" is overwritten by "ControlSet001" and "ControlSet001" is overwritten by "CurrentControlSet". This is done so that you can use the "Boot with last known good configuration" option after pressing F8 at start up.

*Update*.

Never mind.

Just tested it. Apparently I did not recall correctly. Changing it in either CurrentControlSet OR ControlSet001 changes it in both places. ControlSet002 is the backup that is used by the boot option, and is updated once boot up is successful.

*Update number two*

ControlSet002 is updated during shut down after a successful boot.

Maybe I should just erase this message....

Carry on.

Regards,
...jim
Last edited by JimBrown on Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Intel i7 920 2.67 OC'd to 4.0ghz
Asus P6T Deluxe
6gb Mushkin 1600 7-8-7-20
BFG 260 Maxcore OC'd 20%
Thermalright Ultimate Extreme 120
Power PC & Cooling 750w
650gb Western Digital 32mb
TripleHead2Go at 3840
JimBrown
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby keith-uk » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:13 am

Nick,

I've just finished building a new system with the following:
Intel Quad Q9650 3GHz
Asus P5Q Deluxe Motherboard
4G Kingston Hyperx 800 RAM
8800GT Video Card
Matrox 32MB Sata Hard Drive
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy
650W Antec PSU

OS is XP Pro 32

Everything is a fresh install follwing your install, set-up, all settings and tweak to the letter.

While my frame rates are way up, upto 75 fps on Friday Harbor, i have noticed a problem i never had on my old system.....
Sometimes, the ground sort of jumps by in stages, a bit like that problem some DVD's have playing on a HD TV.

Its as if its skipping frames and then catching up.

Could this be my 32bit OS letting me down because its not using all 4G of RAM?

Sorry to bother you with this,

Keith.

EDIT:

The problem is worse than i first thought. The ground is juddering by badly. Also, when switching from normal spot view to fixed spot view, when the camera zooms away from the aircraft and then quicly zooms back into it again, its very juddery and even the sound is affected.

The sea seems to go by fine, but when low over lots of trees, its almost unplayable. I get some of those graphics glitches too where the trees stretch right up high into the sky for a split second. I can live with the odd graphics glitch though, its the ground jumping by below in stages that i can't stand :'(

After spending so much money to build a better FSX system, as well as all the time i've put into it, to say i'm disappointed is an understatement.
fsx run MUCH better on my AMD dual core 4800+ with Asus M2N SLI Deluxe board. Lower frame rates, but it didn't have any of this juddering.
Last edited by keith-uk on Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
keith-uk
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby keith-uk » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:30 am

After trying everything from a motherboard bios flash to removing all my add ons i still had the problem.

I have just installed XP PRO 64 Bit, so i hope this fixes it. If not, i give up.

Keith.
keith-uk
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby keith-uk » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:42 pm

Still the same with xp 64-bit. Very jumpy and lots of graphics glitches.

I managed to fix it by setting the scenery autogen density from Extremely dense to dence. It runs very well with that setting and perfect with it set to normal. I miss those buildings and trees though.

Its strange how my old system had no problem with the extremely dense setting, yet this new system was unplayable with the same settings. I know its the same video card, so does anyone think my 800GT has now become a bottleneck?
Or is it possible that my Antec 650W PSU is not good enough? I have an antec 900 gaming case with some big fans running. Maybe i should take this to the hardware section though.

Keith.
Last edited by keith-uk on Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
keith-uk
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby aeugli » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:31 pm

Quote Modify Split this topic starting with this message as the first message in a new topic, followed by the other posts until the last post added to this thread. Remove
Hi Nick,
after I did your windows tweaks once again (I did it first in Oct. last year) I have NO prefetch folder in my C:\Windows\ folder!? May be same would be before I did your tweaks once again, haven´t controlled it.
Despite that - everything seems to be ok (so far)... Windows, FSX etc.
What is wrong? Must I do any changes - or can I still leave it as it is?
I would appreciate your answer
Best wishes Rainer

Edit: Problem solved: Task Manager was deactivated Undecided
Sorry for asking!
Cheers Rainer
Last edited by aeugli on Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
aeugli
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Ewok » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:31 pm

Hello Nick,

You are the greatest and your tweaks are number one on my list. Thank You for all that you do for us.
My question is can the XP/Windows Setup, System Optimizing and Drivers tune up be used for Windows XP Service Pack 3.

I recently installed Windows XP SP3 from a disk.

Thanks Again and Take Care!!!!!
Last edited by Ewok on Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ewok
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby NickN » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:11 am

Hello Nick,

You are the greatest and your tweaks are number one on my list. Thank You for all that you do for us.
My question is can the XP/Windows Setup, System Optimizing and Drivers tune up be used for Windows XP Service Pack 3.

I recently installed Windows XP SP3 from a disk.

Thanks Again and Take Care!!!!!

As long as it was a clean install of WindowsXP which included SP3 during the full Windows install, yes its fine. SP3 includes SP2
NickN
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby nyfirefly11 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:09 am

Nick,

you, sir, are amazing...thanks for the tweaks :)

question: I don't know if you've played around with Windows 7, and you may have already gotten this question before, but any idea if fsx, gex, rex, utx, and o&o defrag will work well?

I have xp32, and Vista 64 still in the box, but I was thinking I'd just skip to Win 7 RC1 when it's out in a few weeks, and do my new install of fsx on that. Or would it be best to wait until later in the year for full win 7 support?

Thanks in advance!
nyfirefly11
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby NickN » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:34 am

Vista 7 is exactly that... Vista renamed with fixes and some perf work to try and hide the duckups from Vista

there is no difference in performance between W7 and Vista and right now My XP x64 system runs slightly better than W7

If I was going to make a move from XP it would not be to Vista and I would wait for W7
Last edited by NickN on Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
NickN
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby nyfirefly11 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:51 am

thx so much...I'll wait for RC1 of 7. I'd run fsx off of xp, but I only have the 32bit version, and I'd rather use 64 (6GB ram).
nyfirefly11
Ground hog
Ground hog

PreviousNext

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam