XP/Windows Setup, System Optimizing and Drivers

FSX including FSX Steam version.

Re: XP/Windows Setup, System Optimizing and Drivers

Postby drummer_tom » Thu May 22, 2008 11:35 am

Nick,

I have Nhancer version 2.3.4 (I Think it is it's the latest), and by clicking supersamplin for AA I can only got to 4x.

To get 8xs I have to go to combined. This ok?

Thanks

Tom
drummer_tom
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby NickN » Thu May 22, 2008 11:49 am

Nick,

I have Nhancer version 2.3.4 (I Think it is it's the latest), and by clicking supersamplin for AA I can only got to 4x.

Thanks

Tom

Nhancer has a BETA available now which I am using. it ELIMINATES the need to DUPLICATE the profile.. you simply select the FSX profile and global to make settings.. no more duplicating

http://forum.nhancer.com/showthread.php?t=269

Also, AA in the beta is set to COMBINED 8xS, and NOT SUPERSAMPLE 8xS all other setttings are EXACTLY the same as posted above

They probably upgraded the release client to reflect the beta changes... so yes, that is correct
NickN
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby N. Chapman » Thu May 22, 2008 7:03 pm

so how do i get around the SP3 and the multi core patch? is there something in the Registry that can be changed or some thing? or do i have to uninstall SP3 then install the patch then reinstall SP3?
Click for Computer info overload!
N. Chapman
Captain
Captain

Postby NickN » Thu May 22, 2008 8:04 pm

SP3 includes the patch... if you install Sp3 you dont need the patch
NickN
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Bob70 » Thu May 22, 2008 8:55 pm

Nick,

Thanks

Tom

The latest version of nHancer and I think the final one is 2.4.1. I installed it yesterday.

:)  Bob
Camelback Mountain....Looking north from Sky Harbor Int.
Bob70
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby raptorx » Tue May 27, 2008 10:03 am

Nick;

Two questions:

1)
Last edited by raptorx on Tue May 27, 2008 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rampage II Gene, i7 965 4GHz
Mushkin Redline DDR3 1600
XP x64 SP2
ASUS Matrix GTX285
raptorx
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby NickN » Tue May 27, 2008 10:27 am

1. No as long as its done it does not matter when

2. The most recent version of Nhancer should not have installed the service by default. Its not a problem its running however if you are on XP and want it off simply uninstall and reinstall Nhancer and select the CUSTOM install where you can select/deselect the option to install the service
NickN
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby AviationGuy » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:23 pm

Hey Nick, first of all, thanks for the time you spent putting this together.

I'm having some, what looks like, serious trouble with my computer after I did the O&O offline defrag. I followed your instructions to the letter so, I'm not sure what the problem is.

After the offline defrag, I noticed that I connected to the internet, and that a few things weren't working properly. (i.e. couldn't copy and paste, couldn't get the taskbar to show) I looked in My Network Places, and no networks were listed, so I looked in the Services tab in the System Configuration Utility, and noticed that, along with Network Connections, almost everything is stopped. I've tried enabling them, but it doesn't let me.

I tried going into Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services, and nothing is listed under the Extended tab, but everything does seem to be under the Standard tab. However, it won't let me enable anything from there, or even let me go into the particular service properties.

I'm running Windows XP Service Pack 2. Any thoughts?

Thanks.
AviationGuy
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby NickN » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:35 pm

Hey Nick, first of all, thanks for the time you spent putting this together.

I'm having some, what looks like, serious trouble with my computer after I did the O&O offline defrag. I followed your instructions to the letter so, I'm not sure what the problem is.

After the offline defrag, I noticed that I connected to the internet, and that a few things weren't working properly. (i.e. couldn't copy and paste, couldn't get the taskbar to show) I looked in My Network Places, and no networks were listed, so I looked in the Services tab in the System Configuration Utility, and noticed that, along with Network Connections, almost everything is stopped. I've tried enabling them, but it doesn't let me.

I tried going into Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services, and nothing is listed under the Extended tab, but everything does seem to be under the Standard tab. However, it won't let me enable anything from there, or even let me go into the particular service properties.

I'm running Windows XP Service Pack 2. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Yes.. you are displaying classic symptoms around this warning

-------------DELL AND OEMS THAT UPDATE SP2 VIA THE WEB, BE CAREFULL WITH THIS LIST------------

You can do the tweaks but on DELL computers be carefull about the defrag.. some DELLS do not like that software unless you wiped the disk clean and installed XP without the DELL junk on the system

ALSO systems that use the WEB version of SP2 and NOT a full disk install CAN have the SAME problem

This IS NOT A O&O ISSUE>>> IT IS A MICROSOFT ISSUE

which is caused by this Microsoft issue/screwup

http://support.microsoft.com:80/kb/941715/en

Lets back up for a minute...

Is your system a Dell?

If so (or if not) is the install CD come complete with SP2?

If it has SP2 the install CD a Windows genuine disk or a home made slipstream version that had SP2 added to it?

here is the deal...

If you have an older Dell system with a Dell install disk that requires SP2 be added to it via the web, this issue WILL come up

Assuming its not a Dell, if your Windows install CD only has SP1 and you add SP2 from the web installer, this issue can come up

If you have a SP2 install disk that was made between August of 2004 and mid 2005 this issue can and usually will come up.. it was before Micorsoft changed certain files so a slipstream would upgrade the computer to a 'true' SP2 install.

Not all web based SP2 installs see this issue.. it depends on the version of SP1 they are running
Last edited by NickN on Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NickN
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby AviationGuy » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:34 pm

Hey Nick, this is actually a home built computer that was built around 4 years ago. I had downloaded SP2 from, I believe, Windows Update, as my XP CD didn't come with it.

Any cures for this, or is it time to reinstall Windows?

Thanks.
AviationGuy
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby NickN » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:46 pm

Sorry

no fix, wipe and start over. Corruption is fatal and not reversible

however.. if you know how to slipstream SP2 into the install disk you have, or, you have a more modern copy of Windows with SP2 on a genuine disk you can reinstall and then use the list I posted without a problem

Its the old install disk and the web based SP2 installer that caused this. You need to install Windows from a CD that already has SP2 on it and that will correct the issue

ity must be a CLEAN install.. not an upgrade or a repair install..  wipe the drive and start clean with the right Windows disk
Last edited by NickN on Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NickN
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby AviationGuy » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:12 pm

All right, well thanks for your help. I don't know how to slipstream SP2 onto the disk, so I'm thinking I'll buy a Windows disk with SP2 already on it for the reinstall.

And then, of course, start tweaking again! ;)
AviationGuy
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby NickN » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:25 pm

That will work perfect

However there is quite a bit of info on the net about slipstream of Sp2 into a windows disk for a CD burn

It does require burn software such as Nero to do it and the nero site offers a trial that can be used to do it

If you do not feel comfortable doing that then the purchase would be the only other way to go.

Sorry, I wish I had better news, but once it is done you wont have any problems and the system will at that point be truly SP2 certified

Make sure to install all software and set things up before starting the tweaks.. thats the last thing done
Last edited by NickN on Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NickN
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby AviationGuy » Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:11 pm

Hmm, I was thinking about maybe finding out how to slipstream it to save some money, but than I got to thinking, I'm pretty sure my XP disks already have SP2 on them. Could that be possible? And is there a way to check? I've actually been running XP Media Center Edition version 2005.

I remember having to reinstall Windows in the past, but never having to get SP2 again.
AviationGuy
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby NickN » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:46 pm

Hmmmm
Media Center I am not in tune with... 2005 may very well place that disk in the August 2004 to mid 2005 time frame for the issue to be on that disk too

I do know people who have use the list and the media center version of Windows without issue however I can not say exactly why they did not see any problem other than perhaps the date of the disk manufacture and or how they upgraded.. or dumb luck

http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_p ... 137#144137

The problem does not appear in every system even if the system meets the criteria I laid out which is why MS never addressed this as a critical error... to do so would have made a lot of people pretty mad they had to have a newer SP2 disk to assure no problem would pop up using 3rd party software like partition magic and O&O, etc

However this issue was just one of many reasons why back when SP2 started geting deployed regularly system admins would slipstream a new disk and wipe instead of patch or upgrade
Last edited by NickN on Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NickN
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

PreviousNext

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam