Is anybody using the bloom (like in FSX) in FS9 ?

Forum dedicated to Microsoft FS2004 - "A Century of Flight".

Re: Is anybody using the bloom (like in FSX) in FS9 ?

Postby Daube » Fri May 30, 2008 4:03 am

I tried to install this addon; I used your ini file, and FS9 freezed and it took the operating system with it. I didn't even have the time to press shift+f12. What could be the problem? Maybe my video card isn't capable?

I do not think your video card is the problem (maybe the drivers ?).
Just make sure your Windows is up to date, and your DirectX9c is up to date.
Last edited by Daube on Fri May 30, 2008 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby FridayChild » Fri May 30, 2008 4:29 am

Both are up to date, and so are the drivers (last non beta version for my video card). I am also using nHancer (last version) with the settings suggested in these forums.
Founder of A.A.A.A.A.A.A. (Aircraft Amateurs' Association Against Absurd Aviation Acronyms) My system specifications: FLIGHT SIMULATOR 2004 - AMD Athlon 64 3200+ CPU - 3 GB PC-3200 DDR400 dual channel RAM - 500 GB Seagate B
FridayChild
Major
Major

Postby Wii » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:40 pm

FSSkyWorld2004 + Bloom = BOOM. Lost 20 FPS. Going to try it without FSSKYWORLD'04
Wii
Major
Major

Postby a1 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:36 pm

FSSkyWorld2004 + Bloom = BOOM. Lost 20 FPS. Going to try it without FSSKYWORLD'04

Worked fine for me with the same addons. No loss of FPS well maybe 1 or 2.
790i : QX9650 : 4Gb DDR3 : GeForce 8800 GTX : 1 WD Raptor : 1 WD VelociRaptor 150
a1
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Wii » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:33 pm

Worked fine for me with the same addons. No loss of FPS well maybe 1 or 2.

Ok, no loss now. And it wasn't the bloom at all, for some reason, my computer doesn't like Fssw04...massive framerate loss or cubical clouds...very strange. Ohwell. I like the default clouds, too. ;D ::)
Wii
Major
Major

Postby Daube » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:56 am

Make sure you are using ONLY the bloom. Check your ini file, wheck that only the bloom is set to 1.
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Daube » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:59 am

Ok, no loss now. And it wasn't the bloom at all, for some reason, my computer doesn't like Fssw04...massive framerate loss or cubical clouds...very strange. Ohwell. I like the default clouds, too. ;D ::)

Strange... what video card do you have ? My 6800 GT was already quite happy with the FS SkyWorld 2004 clouds.
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby FridayChild » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:32 am

I've made some progress, but I still can't use this addon.
This time I used the .ini file specific for my family of video adapter (nvidia 6600), and the computer did not freeze; but:
1) I lost the antialias completely in the application
2) the frame rate dropped by 50% when parked in a default airport
3) upon startup, the addon warned about a misconfiguration (read documentation and configure by yourself) even if the only thing I did was setting all the effect but the bloom to "0".
Founder of A.A.A.A.A.A.A. (Aircraft Amateurs' Association Against Absurd Aviation Acronyms) My system specifications: FLIGHT SIMULATOR 2004 - AMD Athlon 64 3200+ CPU - 3 GB PC-3200 DDR400 dual channel RAM - 500 GB Seagate B
FridayChild
Major
Major

Postby Daube » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:43 am

Arf, I misread your post so I deleted my answer and make a new one.
So you have activated only the bloom in the EFFECT section, and nevertheless you are getting such a FPS impact ?

This is strange... I think that one of the remaining parameters is not convenient for your card. Try setting the blur quality to '2' instead of '0'. '0' is best quality, '2' is lowest quality. Try '1' as well.
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Daube » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:46 am

I've made some progress, but I still can't use this addon.
This time I used the .ini file specific for my family of video adapter (nvidia 6600), and the computer did not freeze; but:
1) I lost the antialias completely in the application
2) the frame rate dropped by 50% when parked in a default airport
3) upon startup, the addon warned about a misconfiguration (read documentation and configure by yourself) even if the only thing I did was setting all the effect but the bloom to "0".

Last question: which version of the addon are you currently using ? I'm a bit confused about this error message that you got, never had any on my PC... Perhaps you are using a ini file that is not made for the addon version that you currently use ?
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Daube » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:50 am

PS: I checked the homepage, and there are some new versions available. Maybe they are worth a try ? There are also some new "presets" for this new version !!
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby FridayChild » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:25 am

I used the latest version as of today, together with the ini files currently posted in the web site.
FridayChild
Major
Major

Postby Groundbound1 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:51 pm

Ok, I tried it with my x1950, and I do see a slight difference. However, when I first activate light bloom the whole screen washes out for a second, then it slowly returns to almost the same look as I get without the effect. Is this normal?
Groundbound1
Major
Major

Postby pepper_airborne » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:21 am

Ok, I tried it with my x1950, and I do see a slight difference. However, when I first activate light bloom the whole screen washes out for a second, then it slowly returns to almost the same look as I get without the effect. Is this normal?

Yes, it is how bloom works, bloom is a basic simulation of how the eye adjusts itself to different light situations E.G. looking from the outside to the inside in the full sun, or the other way around.

What bloom in FS does is basicly enter a white world from a completely darkend space(the OFF mode). And thus it's retina needs to adjust itself to the different light situation. If you got a TIR try looking down in the VC and then up towards the clouds. It should explain the effect better.
pepper_airborne
Major
Major

Postby Daube » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:28 am

Absolutely. The perfect example is the 737 cockpit shots that I posted earlier. When you look forward, most of the picture is taken by the "dark" cockpit, so the outside world (sky and clouds) are glowing a lot. But, if I look left, the window takes all the screen, so most of the screen is taken by the clear sky, so the clouds are not glowing that much anymore.

As a matter of fact, if I jump into the cockpit of the default glider, the bloom is almost disabled, because the forward view is always bright (not much "dark" stuff masking your vision, that is). But, if I make a right turn, looking at my right wing, I'll see mainly forest on the screen, so it will be dark, and my white wing will glow :)
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

PreviousNext

Return to FS 2004 - A Century of Flight