Terrain Mesh

Forum dedicated to Microsoft FS2004 - "A Century of Flight".

Terrain Mesh

Postby birdie » Sun Feb 22, 2004 6:10 pm

Hi, I was wondering what the pros and cons of terrain mesh are. I have never downloaded any mesh before. Does it look bad where the mesh begins and ends or does it make a smooth transition.
birdie
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Terrain Mesh

Postby Jared » Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:03 am

I have always found there to be a very smooth transition from more detailed to less detailed with terrain mesh installed...;-)
Jared
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Ivan » Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:14 am

How bad it looks depends on the quality of the work done by MS (which is definetly better than in fs2000)
Russian planes: IL-76 (all standard length ones),  Tu-154 and Il-62, Tu-134 and [url=http://an24.uw.hu/]An-24RV[/ur
Ivan
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Omag 2.0 » Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:27 am

I never had any problems with those mesh-files.

Smooth transition and way better views. Most don't seem to hit my FPS bad, so no problem there.

Try em!
[center]

Check my aviation-photo's at www.airliners.be

Or go straight to Omag's Album[/cent
Omag 2.0
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby svenpurple7 » Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:35 pm

Lately I have been goofing around a lot with terrain mesh.  The mesh for the US found at

http://www.simviation.com/fsdterrainusa.htm

is pretty good and I have not had problems with it.  While it's not the best, it's better than the FS default mesh and it's just about seamless.  I recommend it for freeware and if you download it, you don't have to worry about it's borders if you stay within the mesh.  There is better mesh out there for specific areas that is freeware, and even better payware mesh and it all matches rather nicely.

There is one small con that I have noticed with higher resolution mesh.  At some airports, it appears that the flattened part of the airport sits on a "plateau" a couple of feet high.  Sorry, I can't post a screenshot because I am at work right now.  Anyway, I think it's tolerable.

Your system does not have to be super powerful to handle more mesh.  Give it a try and let us know.

good luck.
svenpurple7
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby garymbuska » Mon Feb 23, 2004 1:30 pm

I have a downloaded just about every mesh file I can get my hands on. They all work great , and is an improvement over the default scenery. The only problem you might run into would be where the new scernery is at a lower level than the default one so the new mesh loads first then the default mesh loads overwriting the new mesh. But this is a easy fix once you know where to put the new scenery so that it loads last. Something I do is to manually edit the scenery.cfg. file so that the new mesh is the last entry; rather than starting FS2004 and adding the scenery there. This method always puts any scenry you add at the top of the list .
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
CH Rudder Peddles 27 inch Wide screen Monitor
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby HolgerS » Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:15 pm

Howdy:

sorry, but Gary's (?) post is not quite correct. Add-on meshes have different "rules" for display priorities than other add-on scenery. Here's a nice summary of it: http://www.fs-traveler.com/priority.shtml

Cheers, Holger
HolgerS
Ground hog
Ground hog

Return to FS 2004 - A Century of Flight