SLIDER SETTINGS

Forum dedicated to Microsoft FS2004 - "A Century of Flight".

SLIDER SETTINGS

Postby valo1030 » Mon Feb 23, 2004 2:23 pm

i have been a flight simmer since fs95, so i think i know a little something regarding performance....to begin with, let me drop this bombshell;......i dont believe anyone on this forum that tells me he or she gets a "flyable, stutter free" fps with all sliders maxed out!!...
ok...as for me...first my computer specs: hp 2.6 p4 hyper thread.......2 gig ram.......ati radeon 9800xp, 256 mem..etc etc..(the rest is usual good stuff)...ok..now for where my sliders are for 2004 flyable sim  (keep in mind this means fps on final approach into hi dense airport such as ord, etc)...
terrain mesh+10
texture size=high
terrain detail=land only
water effects=none
dawn to dusk=no
extended terrain=no
spec effects detail=medium
scenery complexity=very dense
autogen=very dense
add on scenery=on
sun and lens=off
target frame rate=35
resolution=1280x1024x32
render to texture=no
trans and lighting=on
aa=no (vid card)
filtering=bilinear
mip map qual=4
hrdwr render lights=6
global max texture size=massive
sight distance=60mi
cloud draw distance=30mi
3D cloud %=30
detailed clouds=on
cloud density=medium....
ok, now ,like all of you, i have spent way too much time screwing around with those sliders, and i can tell you that the above flys 2004 just fine....35 fps in most phases of flight, drops to 18 to 25 in hi dense situations. never stutters and allows for a smooth ils approach...try the above settings..i think you will be happy (if your specs are similar to mine....would be interested to hear your comments re the above...i'm sure some of you will say...GEEZ..i get 60 fps with all sliders maxed out!!!...lier. lier. pants on fire 8)
valo1030
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: SLIDER SETTINGS

Postby svenpurple7 » Mon Feb 23, 2004 2:38 pm

I don't remember anyone on this forum claiming to get 60 fps consistantly with all sliders maxed.

Whoever is claiming this, please come forward and tell us how you did it.
svenpurple7
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby valo1030 » Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:44 am

i read one of your responses and you say all, i repeat,all your sliders are full max and you say you get good fps?????????all sliders maxed out, right?..so that means when you fly into busy airport you get at least 20 fps....which i think is the minimum for a smooth flight (maybe 15fps..but no less)...a consistant even frame rate is what you get with everything  "maxed out"....right...no matter what the aircraft, or scenery, orai, or weather...right?...you're a lucky guy!!! ::)
valo1030
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Spidious » Tue Feb 24, 2004 7:52 am

Here are my settings, they will drop to 15 in a very dense area usually runs at 35-40

terrain mesh+100
texture size=high
terrain detail=land 1/2 way
water effects=full
dawn to dusk=yes
extended terrain=yes
spec effects detail=full
scenery complexity=very dense
autogen=very dense
add on scenery=on
sun and lens=on
target frame rate=60
resolution=1024x768x16
render to texture=yes
trans and lighting=on
aa=yes
filtering=trilinear
mip map qual=6
hrdwr render lights=8
global max texture size=massive
sight distance=100mi
cloud draw distance=max
3D cloud %=10
detailed clouds=on
cloud density=low....

The clouds will kill you
Remember
Spidious
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby valo1030 » Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:49 am

looks good....dropping to 15fps in hi dense area can definately be improved greatly by reducing "terrain mesh complexity" with no noticeable loss in scenery...it may only smooth out some mountain areas on the far horizon,,,thats all..try it...you should get a better fps in the dense situations....let me know :)
valo1030
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby codered » Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:31 am

My experience has been the clouds being the biggest culprit to robbing you of frames.  Everything else is maxed out except for the clouds.  I have the clouds set to sight distance 60, cloud draw 60, 3D % 50, detailed on, density to high.  I average 30 FPS in rural areas, and in high density areas about 20 FPS.  

Granted these are average, sometimes the rates will drop into the teens.  But the clarity and smoothness is acceptable.  I notice most of the stutters take place about the time ATC gives me my initial decent for approach.  The stutters happen for a few seconds then it is smooth sailing from then on. ;D
Windows XP SP1
Motherboard: Epox 8RDA + main board
Processor: AMD XP2500 Barton CPU
Memory: PC2700 1gb Geil DDR
Hard Drive: SEA HDD IDE 40GB 7M 40GPP
Hard Drive: Western Digital 40gb 8mb cache
Monitor 15 LCD Flat Panel Displa
codered
Major
Major

Return to FS 2004 - A Century of Flight