Mesh

Forum dedicated to Microsoft FS2004 - "A Century of Flight".

Mesh

Postby sabotage » Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:19 am

Hi everone again.  First I have to say that this web site it great.  Evryone has been so helpful in regards to my questions.  Thank you thank you thank you.  I find that I am spending more time adding airplanes, scenery, mesh, panles, ect, ect, ect than I am actually flying..  Anyone else have this "problem"?  Anyway I was wondering if you can use mesh from 2k and 2k2 for 2k4?  The files seem to be the same (blg) but I put mesh designed to 2004 in for the wasatch mountains (salt lake city area) and it looks AWSOME (30m BTW) that was designed for 2000 in the snakeriver area (i think it said it covered most of Idaho and I couldnt tell much difference.  Of course I flew KSLC to Boise and you dont really get into the "meat" of the Idaho mountains that way (maby I sould fly more north((Any potato heads out there recomend a good field to fly to))and check it out).  So thats the question, does 2k mesh work for 2k4?  Thanks again....
AMD 2500xp
MSI K7N2 Delta Motherboard
Maxtor 120GB ATA133
512ddram
Geforce FX5700 Ultra/880 tv-dvi 256MB DDR
Creative Extigy
17 Inch flat screen Envision
Saitek X45
sabotage
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Mesh

Postby svenpurple7 » Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:45 am

Agreed sabotage.  Isn't this site the best?

Anyway, to answer your questions.  Does FS2k and 2k2 mesh work in 2k4?  So far all the meshes I have used for 2k and 2k2 have worked in 2k4.  I believe I read somewhere that there is not guarantee that they will.
Here's how I see it, mesh is compiled using the terrain SDK which has not been released for FS9 if I am not mistaken.  So it would make sense to say that mesh for 2k2 will work in 2k4.  Don't quote me, I am not an expert in meshes yet.

Something you need to keep in mind is that if a zipped up mesh file(s) says its a particular resolution, it doesn't mean that it is.  The author can say anything he wants about his product.   >:(  The way in which mesh data is compiled can result in a particular resolution, but it may not be accurate.  Case in point, the USGS mesh files available here at simV for the US and Alaska claims to be 30m, but it really isn't.  It's better than the default FS9 mesh but there is other 30m mesh freeware out there that puts it to shame.

Also, I have discovered that FS9 does not use the same resolution for all areas.  There are some areas where the mesh resolution appears to be better than in others.  Maybe that is why you don't see much difference in some spots.  Just a guess.

Oh, btw.  I do find myself downloading and installing add-ons more than flying >:(  What I do is everytime I install some new software, I take a plane out of the hangar and go do a couple of turns in the pattern to test the new add-on.  If I didn't do that, I would never get any flying done.

Here's a good site to visit about mesh discussions:
http://www.fs-traveler.com/welcome.shtml

Enjoy and good luck.
svenpurple7
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to FS 2004 - A Century of Flight