Runway Shenanigans

Adding Aircraft Traffic, airport gates, etc, to your Sim - AFCAD, TTools, Project AI, AI Aircraft, etc

Runway Shenanigans

Postby Tyler012 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:29 am

Hallo Freunde!

I was recently flying into Princess Juliana Airport, St. Maarten in a CRJ series aircraft.  It was all jolly and well until I got my Approach vectors, ATC tried to ferry me across the island to approach and land on Runway 27,  :(  Now as far as I know this isn't even a valid approach to the airport, as there is a nicely sized mountain right before the beginning of the runway.  I went ahead and tried this landing and failed miserably (the approach was a bit like trying to land at St.Barts).  So I researched this and turns out that TNCM always uses runway 9/10 regardless of weather conditions.
   My question: is there a way I can modify the airport to "close" runway 27/28 so that runway 9/10 is the only valid approach?

And another query: I frequently visit my hometowns airport, Lubbock.  This area is known for its crazy weather conditions and frequent wind storms.  But regardless of the weather conditions that atc always seems to set me up to land on runway 17, no matter if there is a 30 knot crosswind. (Mind you we have a perfectly good runway perpendicular to runway 17 [Runway 26]). So is there a way to "open" runway 26 for traffic?

Thanks for the answers mates!
Just a sample of my personal art.
Tyler012
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Runway Shenanigans

Postby tgibson » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:11 pm

Try removing the start location for runway 27, that sometimes does it.

How long is runway 26?  If not long enough for your plane (jets require something around 6500 ft), then ATC will use the other runway.  Also, if you have modified the runways at this airport (renamed, added, deleted, etc.) sometimes you'll only get one choice after that, for some odd reason.

Hope this helps,
---
Tom Gibson
CalClassic Propliner Page
http://www.calclassic.com
tgibson
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Tyler012 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:23 pm

I fly 737's and CRj-700's out of my hometown, The runway is indeed long enough (some 8000 ft so).
Last edited by Tyler012 on Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just a sample of my personal art.
Tyler012
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby tgibson » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:21 am

You could do it with ADE9X, but it does have a bit longer learning curve than AFCAD.

Hope this helps,
---
Tom Gibson
tgibson
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Strategic Retreat » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:58 pm

If you know how to use AFCAD, you know how to use ADE9x. The only thing slowing down your design, at least on first, are some differences in how some commands and options are positioned, but with a little attention (and a little more time, until you get into gear with it) you can put together not only a working project as well as under the old AFCAD, but even more spectacular thanks to the new options. ;)
Last edited by Strategic Retreat on Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is no such a thing as overkill. Only unworthy targets.
Strategic Retreat
Captain
Captain

Postby EVVFCX » Fri May 13, 2011 6:31 am

Hi,

Did you try asking ATC for different runway? The one you wanted, that might have worked.

AED9X is similar to Afcad, Afcad was easier to learn the basics than aed9x.

regards

Steve.
May the Mynd be with you.
So far my number of landings either passenger or pilot equal my number of takeoffs.

FSX Gold Acc, P3D V4, FS2020
EVVFCX
Captain
Captain

Postby tgibson » Fri May 13, 2011 12:44 pm

Hi,

Unless the runways are parallel (or made that way by the star runways technique) ATC will let you approach the other runway, but then gives a command "circle to land" on the original runway...
---
Tom Gibson
tgibson
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Strategic Retreat » Fri May 13, 2011 2:05 pm

Unless the runways are parallel (or made that way by the star runways technique) ATC will let you approach the other runway, but then gives a command "circle to land" on the original runway...

Of course it does. Default ATC puts wind vector importance ABOVE visibility (and RWY substance), so if you're landing on an airport which has ONE only runway with ILS, you better PRAY the wind blows correct way to use the rwy with the ILS, or eve if you have a CAT III situation, the ATC will send you on the non-ILS rwy, always, and won't hear reasons. :(

Same goes about the RWY substance. They, the simulated imbeciles, think the know SO much better than us... >:(

A solution there though is to accept the ILS with go around, and... LAND ON THE ILS (or correct substance) RWY. :P

Beside a lame "You were not cleared to land. Contact ground on..." or something, they will do nothing to you... and when it happened to me, an umbrella gesture of a one finger salute (depending on my mood) always followed said lame, lame reproach. ;D
Last edited by Strategic Retreat on Fri May 13, 2011 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is no such a thing as overkill. Only unworthy targets.
Strategic Retreat
Captain
Captain

Return to Adding Aircraft Traffic (AI) & Gates