How to figure out how long a flight should be?

Adding Aircraft Traffic, airport gates, etc, to your Sim - AFCAD, TTools, Project AI, AI Aircraft, etc

How to figure out how long a flight should be?

Postby crewdog » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:38 am

Hi all,

Pardon the FNG question. I've been trying to set up flights between different airports and a "round robin" flight where an aircraft takes off then returns to the airport where it started. I put in what I thought ere reasonable flight times but the aircraft usually flys a lot longer.

Any ideas??

TIA
Last edited by crewdog on Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
crewdog
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: How to figure out how long a flight should be?

Postby dave3cu » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:34 am

Not sure what you mean by 'round robin'.

All ai flight plans are 'round robin' and, regardless of how many scheduled stops there are along the way, must be scheduled to return to the originating airport within the specified 'repeat period'.

As for 'flight times'. Unless you overide the arrival time (@ prefix in TTools) the compiler calculates the 'arrival time' based on distance and the cruise speed entered in the 'aircraft.txt' file. The 'calculated' arrival time may be different than what you entered. Also arrival times are generally 'in the airspace', and depending on weather and traffic, landing time can take 15 minutes or more.

What sim and what program are you using (TTools, AIFP, ??)

Dave
At that time [1909] the chief engineer was almost always the chief test pilot as well. That had the fortunate result of eliminating poor engineering early in aviation.
dave3cu
Major
Major

Return to Adding Aircraft Traffic (AI) & Gates