FLightsim Design Programs

Anything to do with Aircraft Design, FSDS, G Max, Aircraft Animator, SDL Edit, etc. Novice or skilled - stop here & learn!

FLightsim Design Programs

Postby Felix/FFDS » Tue Feb 04, 2003 12:56 pm

Just to recap - to build flightsim models for FS2004, there are three viable options:

gMax/makemdl.exe - gmax 1.2 is the latest version downloadable from the  TurboSquid.Com site  To actually create the flyable mdl file, you need the FSexport.dll that comes with the gmax gamepack from Microsoft.

Rev. 20FEB2004 - FS2004 SDK released with makemdl and FSdleExp - check sticky thread for link

FSDS-3 - FSDS 3.0  is the latest version, downloadable (purchase/download).  yes, it is  commercial software.  (Note:  This is a cut and paste from the paragraph following - it may not be yet available for purchase through Simviation as noted  [27DEC2005

AD2002Aircraft Designer 2002 v1.2 LT.   AD2K2  is a tool dedicated to the designers of aircraft for Flight Simulator 2002
Last edited by pete on Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Felix/FFDS
Felix/FFDS
Administrator
Administrator

Re: FLightsim Design Programs

Postby IanK » Thu Feb 13, 2003 11:23 am

Hello,

All the best and some of the worst use third party tools to access all the internal files such as .air.
Last edited by IanK on Fri Feb 28, 2003 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
IanK
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Felix/FFDS » Thu Feb 13, 2003 12:03 pm

Ian - I don't know where you're coming from, but the sites you're talking about are excellent flight dynamics sites - no one denies that.

My posting above addresses the visual models, not the flight dynamics, which, I might add, is not an easy one to master.

My posting does NOT address the issue of texturing either.

A good understanding of the flight dynamics files is necessary to have a decent handling model.  The sites you've indicated have good links, utilities and tutorials for flight dynamics.

As a "rule" most "serious" dynamicists avoid using MS' FSEdit since it not only overwrites the aircraft.cfg file, but also some *.air file parameters that can then "destabilize" the overall model from what the builder wants.

The comment of "THEY would like you to know about as THEY won't be using them. "  is irrelevant to the subject of the post.

[quote]Hello,

there are only 3 viable options THEY would like you to know about as THEY won't be using them. All the best and some of the worst use third party tools to access all the internal files such as .air.
Felix/FFDS
Felix/FFDS
Administrator
Administrator

Postby BMan1113VR » Thu Feb 13, 2003 6:40 pm

hmm. . .has anyone bought ad2002? worth getting? need some more details about this program?
Sincerely,
Me

SimV NFL 2006-2007 Season Pool Co-Champion (157-99; 9-2)
SimV NFL 2005-2006 Season Pool Co-Champion (163-93)
SimV NFL 2004-2005 Season Pool Champion (1
BMan1113VR
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

NO WINGS NO TAIL? IS THIS A NEW TREND?

Postby Fox_2 » Tue Apr 01, 2003 10:35 pm

Hi All,

I am totaly new here, I have used FS98 since it first came out, and just recently I have finally resigned FS98 to history, FS2002 is great!  But what has brought me here is the wonderful planes in 2002. But, why when I look out my left side and right side there is no wing, no tail! Is this something new? I mean these planes are just beautiful..But..But no tails no wings, just a panel, I always saw this in FS98 and FS2000 almost. Is this going to be the trend now, just a panel and thats all? I always felt being part of my plane in FS98, now I just hang in space.  I hope this is a valid question and I have not upset anyone,  but thank you all the freeware folks who have made me happy.

Fox 2
Fox_2
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: NO WINGS NO TAIL? IS THIS A NEW TREND?

Postby Felix/FFDS » Wed Apr 02, 2003 1:01 pm

In FS2K2, the modeller has to assign the parts that are going to be visible from the inside to a virtual cockpit model, which will then make them visible even in "normal" view.

Alternatively, on a model that is not so equipped, you can create "views to the outside" graphics and add them via the panel.cfg file, so that when you look "out" you see the wings, etc.  However, they will not be animated.

[quote]

Hi All,

I am totaly new here, I have used FS98 since it first came out, and just recently I have finally resigned FS98 to history, FS2002 is great!
Felix/FFDS
Felix/FFDS
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Han » Sat Apr 19, 2003 2:33 pm

Hi Felix,

I dont think this is the only way to design aircraft or any other 3D model for FS...

Gmax has a 3ds and dxf import plugin, that means that you can create the 3d object mesh in any modelling program available that can export in those formats, or even in the native makemdl x file format.
The names of programs are too numerous to be complete, but the main ones for 3D modellers 3Dmax, Maya, lightwave, XSi, Cinema 4D, Rhino etc can be used...

The dxf importplugin of gmax even supports the layer command, so in your native 3D program when you create a layer, give the layer the name of the tag it needs in gmax and your done....gmax not only imports the mesh, but also names the part. DXF meshes can not contain animation routines, but 3DS can...so you can even animate outside gmax...

What this means for modellers that have 3D experience outside MAX based programs is that they can use their native programs to create the mesh file and finish it off in either gmax or export it as a X file to makemdl directly...

for example, I'm a NURBS man (dont ask! LOL) and use Rhino to create my mesh in dxf format including textures, animate it in gmax and export it to FS...

Regards,
Han Tilroe
Pilots are the best computers we can put aboard aircraft, and the only ones that can be massproduced with unskilled labor..
Han
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Felix/FFDS » Sat Apr 19, 2003 3:54 pm

You are, of course, right.  My starting this post was meant as a general guide to what "flightsim specific" programs are available.

As you point out, you can start off the mesh in many modelling programs - yes, even Rhino (and you're in good company there, btw) and import into gmax for the final "tweaking" or use the makemdl directly, etc.

BUT - for someone starting out, with no other 3D modelling experience, the "established" programs are probably the easier (and better supported by the flightsim hobbyist community) way to start off.

Han -- Han Tilroe - - now where have I seen that name before ?  Who let you out of Da Roost?

Hi Felix,

I dont think this is the only way to design aircraft or any other 3D model for FS...

Regards,
Han Tilroe
Felix/FFDS
Felix/FFDS
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Han » Sun Apr 20, 2003 3:00 pm

[quote author=Felix/FFDS now where have I seen that name before ?
Pilots are the best computers we can put aboard aircraft, and the only ones that can be massproduced with unskilled labor..
Han
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Basti » Thu Aug 14, 2003 12:01 pm

Helo.
Felix wrote here as first about the possibilitys to make an own aircraft.
He wrote the following:

"To actually create the flyable mdl file, you need the FSexport.dll
that comes only in the FS2002 professional edition. "

I have a very big problem with making .mdl's.
You can read it at
http://www.simviation.com/cgi-bin/yabb/ ... 0;start=15
It's in that forum here under "Export error by .mdl files" (if you can't use the link)
So I noticed that I don't have any dll files.
I have a newer version of makemdl.exe from the makemdl SDK and the FSModelExp.dle file from FS2002Pro.
But there is no dll and really no dll called FSexport.dll.
Is this the reason to my error ?

Thanks
Basti
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Felix/FFDS » Thu Aug 14, 2003 4:58 pm

No - it's really *.dle ...  you have the correct setup.

Helo.
Felix wrote here as first about the possibilitys to make an own aircraft.
He wrote the following:

"To actually create the flyable mdl file, you need the FSexport.dll
that comes only in the FS2002 professional edition. "

I have a very big problem with making .mdl's.
You can read it at
http://www.simviation.com/cgi-bin/yabb/ ... 0;start=15
It's in that forum here under "Export error by .mdl files" (if you can't use the link)
So I noticed that I don't have any dll files.
I have a newer version of makemdl.exe from the makemdl SDK and the FSModelExp.dle file from FS2002Pro.
But there is no dll and really no dll called FSexport.dll.
Is this the reason to my error ?

Thanks
Felix/FFDS
Felix/FFDS
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Wing Nut » Tue Dec 09, 2003 12:52 am

Is it possible to use Autocad to create a plane?
[img]http://www.simviation.com/phpupload/uploads/1440377488.jpg[/img]
Wing Nut
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Delta_ » Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:36 am

I got G-Max from fs2k4, do i need any plugins, like to create mdl files etc.
Delta_
Major
Major

Postby Felix/FFDS » Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:46 am

I got G-Max from fs2k4, do i need any plugins, like to create mdl files etc.

gmax 1.2 is the latest version downloadable from discreets' site http://www.discreet.com , or, as you've noted, from CD-1 of FS2004.   To actually create the flyable mdl file, you need the FSexport.dll that comes only in the FS2002 professional edition.  (so does makemdl.exe, but you can get makemdl.exe from the Microsoft SDKs.)

Basically, Microsoft has not yet released a stand alone FSExport.dle for FS2004.
Felix/FFDS
Felix/FFDS
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Delta_ » Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:52 am

What will fsexport allow me to do.
Delta_
Major
Major

Next

Return to Aircraft & 3D Design