Sim aircraft from three-view artwork?

Anything to do with Aircraft Design, FSDS, G Max, Aircraft Animator, SDL Edit, etc. Novice or skilled - stop here & learn!

Sim aircraft from three-view artwork?

Postby John Backlund » Mon Feb 17, 2003 11:05 pm

Although I am addicted to my Microsoft flight sim 2002, I am not a computer guy, I am a paper/pencil illustrator and designer.  Most of my time is being spent doing watercolor illustrations for my childrens book, but I am also an incurable aviation freak and would like to see some of my aircraft designs (both conventional and fantasy) flying about the virtual sim skies at some point. Can computer aircraft designers work from accurate three-view drawings? Do the software designers often collaborate with an illustrator/designer.  I am unfamiliar with the process of sim airplane design. Several examples of my aircraft can be viewed at this photo-host site http://community.webshots.com/user/Bigfun1300

The "Neptoon" conceptual monoplane and the retro, tractor gyroplane are two example of my rough pencil design. Also, for a bit of fantasy, there is the "Fishblimp" from my book. Any interest out there in this kind of thing?
John Backlund

Re: Sim aircraft from three-view artwork?

Postby guimero » Tue Feb 18, 2003 5:57 am

Nice drawings you have.

It is completely possible to make 3D models of your designs and incorporate them into the fS2002. The only thing is whether you want to simulate their flight characteristics. For that You need quite a lot of work and get aeronautical knowledge in order to get the thing flying as it will fly in real life.

But if you are just interested in seeing your concepts fly the only thing you have to do is create the 3D model and link the a/c dynamics of an existing plane with the new model.

:)
guimero
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Felix/FFDS » Tue Feb 18, 2003 6:37 am

Where's the Neptoon top view?   and how does the pilot see out of the plane .. (not insurmountable)

I can go for "Buffalo Wings"  ..

:)
Felix/FFDS
Felix/FFDS
Administrator
Administrator

Postby javier » Tue Feb 18, 2003 10:14 am

I will happly go on the wait line for a 3 view of your "duck on a biplane" or the "buffalo wings"after that  will make the rest........... ;D

Let us know when you do the 3 view .
javier
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Felix/FFDS » Tue Feb 18, 2003 6:26 pm

Half-assed attempt - wings modelled after a Travel-Air Mystery Ship, since (harumph) no decent top view is available....

Felix/FFDS
Felix/FFDS
Administrator
Administrator

Postby SilverFox441 » Wed Feb 19, 2003 12:03 am

I'll take a shot at the gyroplane if Felix is doing the Neptoon. :) Give us some 3-views. :)

Very cool drawings. :)

Felix, I had thought the front section was all glazed like the He-115's. Maybe a mid-engine with a glazed nose?
SilverFox441

Postby Bigfun » Wed Feb 19, 2003 1:30 am

Thanks to all for looking at the planes. Felix: I'm amazed at the 3D view of the "Neptoon" already. The design was originally to be an RC aircraft of about eighty inch span (and may still be, if i can get enough ambition to build it) so, being entirely fictional, and being a fan of "Future Retro", I didn't want to mess up the lines with silly things like being able to see forward, let's assume that it is piloted "NX211wise" utilizing a periscope.  I envision it as a fairly "hot" aircraft due to what may be a high wing loading and overall slippery design. I will try to complete the views of this and other aircraft, I really had no idea if there was any interest in these kinds of things among the Sim designers/pilots. Silverfox: I have a long-term interest in gyroplanes and enjoy designing them. Again, I tend towards a classic, "retro" look for them and favor the tractor configuration over the pusher types because I can utilize a gracefull airplane-like fuselage, which among other pleasing visual elements, lend themselves to very attractive color schemes. Very encouraging feedback, might be fun for me to pursue this further. Thanks, I'll be around. John Backlund (Bigfun).
Bigfun
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Bigfun » Wed Feb 19, 2003 1:43 am

"Buffalo Wings" is one in a series of three "Vehicles". Originally there is the "1947 Bufflomobile" and the "Buffalo wings" jet which is a fictional aircraft used by the South Dakota National Guard in the 50's. It is probably a second generation sub-sonic craft similar in performance to the F-86, although it isn't (obviously)anywhere near as pleasing to the eye as the North American jet. The number seven on the plane is a reference to the 7th cavalry and an arrow is visible sticking out of the lower fuselage. The third subject was the "Buffalopter" which exists only as a casual pencil design, but it is every bit as nuts as the jet.
Bigfun
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Felix/FFDS » Wed Feb 19, 2003 7:16 am

John - you underestimate the weird sense of humor that most designers really have ... especially those of us with a soft spot for the historical (bordering on the histerical) - retro look ...

The nice thing about FS is that it's like a piece of paper- it'll hold anything you put on it...

I really had no idea if there was any interest in these kinds of things among the Sim designers/pilots.
Felix/FFDS
Felix/FFDS
Administrator
Administrator

Postby John Backlund » Wed Feb 19, 2003 10:17 pm

Oh, I know there's some loose cannons out there. Even I have been flying the Harry Potter broom around a bit.
John Backlund

Return to Aircraft & 3D Design