CFS2 Install in Win7

General discussion for CFS2 - WW 2 Pacific Theater

CFS2 Install in Win7

Postby brettt777 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:02 am

I am thinking about dusting off CFS2 and maybe adding a plane or two to it. First, will CFS2 work in Windows 7 64 bit? I don't recall trying to run it in Win 7 since I got the new machine. Second, I know there is some great scenery for CFS2 but is there any blowupable scenery? I know that some of the hangars and buildings on the airfields can be destroyed but is there any other structures, etc that can be added in and then promptly blown up? Until VRS gets their Tack-Pack out for the Superbug, we're kind of limited to blowing up other aircraft and vehicles in FSX.
brettt777
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Re: CFS2 Install in Win7

Postby Tango_Romeo » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:33 am

I have limited input for you on your first question...
Some folks report running CFS2 in Win7, and others report problems.  We haven't heard anything definitive yet.  So give her a try.  The folks having problems think they revolve around video driver and/or security setting issues. Perhaps some of our other members have some first hand input to add.  :-/

There ARE lots of 'destroyable' objects available in CFS2...lots.  That is what we do, you know.  ;D
Many Hands Make Small Work Image P-51 Contract Lost - Build Swifts

FLY FOX FOUR KOREA: http://www.simviation.com/lair/cfs2korea.htm GET FOX FOUR EXTRAS: http://www.simviation.com/lair
Tango_Romeo
Major
Major

Postby Polar_Lion » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:51 am

Win7 is great and it kinda depend on what verion you have.

do know which version of windows 7 you have?

if you have win7 pro the 32 not the 64 version all you have to do is run it as a XP program. if you have the home or any of the 64 versions you might be out of luck.

sometime the win7 home (the 32 not the 64) supprises us. you may have to right click on the execute file and give the security permission to run.

i have had an issue where the game runs fine but the addon planes cause crashes. my comp for what ever reason doest like the higher graphics. useing paintshop i had to change the panels from 1024x768 to 800x600. but that might just be the slaved graphics card. :-?

its realy trial and error with these old games. i play Delta Force Land Warrior and Delta Force Task Force Dagger. both are as old as CFS2 and hear the same problems.

so i hope this helps.

***all else fails you can partion your drive. install XP and run CFS2 on that partion. dont ask me how but its been done and it works.*** :o
"Courage is the discovery that you may not win, and trying when you know you can lose."
-Tom Krause
Polar_Lion
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Hagar » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:46 am

[quote]I have limited input for you on your first question...
Some folks report running CFS2 in Win7, and others report problems.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Shadow Wolf 07 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:14 am

I have been using Win7 for over a year with CFS2 with no problems.  What you need to do is go to Control panel and turn User Account Controls off.  That way you can modify and add files with no difficulty.  I have even built 2 campaigns with Win7 on my laptop and will upload them both here soon.

As for destroyable objects, All GSL scenery packs have destroyable objects.  The older, non-GSL stuff doesn't.  You can add destroyable objects to the the older stuff in Mission Builder, or create an MB layout and then create a gob/gsl for the scenery with the new objects in place.  It will be confusing though with destroyable and non-destroyable objects side by side..
De Oppresso Liber
Shadow Wolf 07
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Tango_Romeo » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:46 pm

Thanks, Shadow Wolf, it's good to have advice from those with firsthand experience.  [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

FLY FOX FOUR KOREA: http://www.simviation.com/lair/cfs2korea.htm GET FOX FOUR EXTRAS: http://www.simviation.com/lair
Tango_Romeo
Major
Major

Postby Chris Cosgrove » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:37 pm

Dear Brett,
I haven't installed CFS2 on my Win 64bit machine for the very simple reason that I have lost one of my install Discs ! The problems seem very similar to getting the MS Train Sim to run, and they mostly revolve around permissions.
1st - do not install it in the default 'Program files (x86) location but create a separate folder on your C:\ drive ( or better still, on a different drive, if you have one ).
2nd - do not run the installer from 'Auto-play'. If that comes up, close it, then use Windows Explorer to find the install set-up file on the CD. Right-click on the installer file and select 'Run as Administrator' from the pop-up menu that appears.
3rd - when the installer starts to run, select 'Custom install' and point the installation at your dedicated folder, then let it do its thing.
4th - when it has finished installing, don't run it straight away. Go back into Windows Explorer and right click on your CFS2 folder. Select properties from the pop-up menu. Then set all the attributes to 'NOT read-only'.
5th - Click on the 'Security' tab at the top of the property box and ensure - by using the 'Edit' tab if necessary - that ALL users have full permissions, ie ALL the boxes for ALL users are ticked. You will need to be logged in as an administrator to carry this step out.
6th - Re-boot, and you should be good to go.

CFS2 is from roughly the same date as the MS Train sim and has much the same difficulties. I know the above works - my copy of MSTS is now running fine, all I need now is to find CD 1 from CFS 2. It's here somewhere, I hope !

Chris Cosgrove :)
Chris Cosgrove
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby AH_Moggy » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:48 pm

Hi Chris,

I've just recently dived back into CFS2 after many years away (originally CFS2 with "Aces High," then IL-2 with "Aces High" for many years, and most recently flying FSX).

Anyway, your post re the Win7 install points are most valuable.  After perusing all 69 pages of this forum over the last couple of days (it was a blast, actually!), I'm going to be doing some multiple installs and will follow your points for the ones that come.

That said, when I installed CFS2 on my rig (Win 7 Home Premium, 64-bit; it's a very powerful machine, capable of running FSX at 25 FPS with virtually all bells & whistles on), I did a regular "auto install" into the default "Program Files (x86) folder.  It installed seamlessly.  I then laboriously manually replaced every folder in the game's root folder with all the saved ones I had left over from several years back -- all the add-on planes, scenery, ships, etc. 

Oddly enough, it worked, and the game has been running flawlessly since.  I have no idea why.  I do always choose "Run as Administrator" at start.

But, again like I said I thank you for your advice and plan to use it for my soon-to-come multiple installs.

P.S:  It's been quite an education reading (and printing out) some of the tutorials (thanks, Tango-Romeo!) and tips left over the years.

Moggy 
AH_Moggy
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Tango_Romeo » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:42 am

The forum can be worth it's weight in gold when you find a solution to a problem you've encountered.  After all, the sim has been around long enough for most of her quirks to be discovered.  8-)

Unfortunately, the issues with new operating systems continue to challenge the old girl.   ::)

I run a home network consisting of 3 XP machines and 1 Vista, but recently I have changed to 2 XP, 1 Vista and 1 Win7-64.  And I will be trying CFS2 on the newer machines myself soon.  :P

Tango_Romeo
Major
Major

Postby Chris Cosgrove » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:29 pm

Hi Moggy,

Thanks for your kind words of appreciation. I still haven't found CD1 for CFS2, but having dealt with our tax returns, my desk is looking a bit clearer. Hope springs eternal !

Like you with CFS2, I had a similar experience with MSTS. I switched over to Win7 last December when my C:\ hard drive started making funny noises and I replaced it before it died. Not knowing any better, I did a straight install of MSTS, all the patches and all my add-ons - and everything worked ! Then six weeks ago I had a motherboard problem which resulted in a new board, and somewhere along the way my boot sector got corrupted and I ended up doing a complete Win7 re-install. When I got round to re-installing my sims - both flight and train - MSTS wouldn't work. Almost all this info came off the UKTrainSim forums - it seems to be a common problem there.

I never had these problems under XP, but putting a new harddrive in, it was only sensible to go with the current operating system.

I'm still looking for CD1 !

Regards,

Chris Cosgrove :)
Chris Cosgrove
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Polar_Lion » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:51 pm

wish we could make an ISO file for backup purposes. Not sure if you can get this new anymore.
"Courage is the discovery that you may not win, and trying when you know you can lose."
-Tom Krause
Polar_Lion
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Chris Cosgrove » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:44 am

Hi, Brett, Moggy,

As it says in the Good Book, 'Rejoice, for that which was lost is found !'

CD1 was in one jewel box buried under a pile of software and CD2 had got itself tucked away in the box with a completely different simulator. I must get this place organised some day.

Anyway, I am happy to say that CFS2 is now installed and running on a Win7 64 bit machine - it even recognises my Cyborg Gold joystick.

I installed it into a folder called CFS 2 on my C:\ drive using the method outlined in my earlier post and it has worked a treat. I cannot swear that all these steps are necessary, but you cannot argue with success !

Now all I have to do is add the patches and add-ons I used to have installed and I can get back to flying a Beaufighter on anti-shipping missions in the Channel ( The English Channel, not the Pacific. )

Next project - to see if I can get CFS1 to run on this machine. So far, the scenery is there and AI aircraft, but the flyer aircraft just sits stubbornly on the runway. At least I know exactly where the install discs are. 8-)

Best of luck,

Chris Cosgrove
Chris Cosgrove
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Tango_Romeo » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:36 am

Thanks, Chris!
Last edited by Tango_Romeo on Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tango_Romeo
Major
Major

Postby Dirtman » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:43 pm

G'day All;

I didn't want to "flap my face" about Win7 & CFS2 until I had some first-hand experience:

Yesterday I installed CFS2 on my brand new PC.
CFS2 Fulfills my need to "peacefully" blow things up
Dirtman
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Tango_Romeo » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:28 am

Dirt,

I'm thinking about trying it on my Win7 box.   How is your joystick working on the new machine?  ;)

Tango_Romeo
Major
Major

Next

Return to Combat Flight Simulator 2