FSX won't start up all of a sudden

FSX including FSX Steam version.

FSX won't start up all of a sudden

Postby Evan Popchock » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:57 pm

Hey, I don't know if anybody else is having this issue, but just a short while ago, I tried to load my flight simulator, and it remains stuck on the splash screen. This has never happened before, and my flight simulator was working fine last night. I don't know what could be wrong, but is there anything I can do without having to reinstall the simulator from scratch? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards <<v

Evan
Evan Popchock
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: FSX won't start up all of a sudden

Postby Nighthawk117 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:21 pm

Have you tried running check disk? maybe allocation became corrupted. Have you downloaded any new planes last night? there have been time were i would add new plane and it caused issues with start up and crashing just have to uninstall the plane if you did
Nighthawk117
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Azframer » Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:26 pm

Nighthawk117 wrote:Have you tried running check disk? maybe allocation became corrupted. Have you downloaded any new planes last night? there have been time were i would add new plane and it caused issues with start-up and crashing just have to uninstall the plane if you did

My first thought. Maybe a bad shut down, the power went out on you, or whatever.
Azframer
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Evan Popchock » Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:42 pm

Azframer wrote:
Nighthawk117 wrote:Have you tried running check disk? maybe allocation became corrupted. Have you downloaded any new planes last night? there have been time were i would add new plane and it caused issues with start-up and crashing just have to uninstall the plane if you did

My first thought. Maybe a bad shut down, the power went out on you, or whatever.

There wasn't a power failure, and I tried running chkdsk, but it found nothing wrong. I don't want to reinstall the whole program again from scratch and lose all my aircraft, scenery addons, etc. I also don't want to throw away FSX because of this problem? It's the only flight simulator I have right now
Evan Popchock
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Nighthawk117 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:49 pm

Did you add any aircraft?
Nighthawk117
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Evan Popchock » Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:52 pm

Nighthawk117 wrote:Did you add any aircraft?

In addition to the default aircrafts already included with flight simulator, I have aircraft addons, but none that I installed recently
Evan Popchock
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Azframer » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:02 pm

I would try to overlay an install without deleting If you have to install from scratch do a uninstall and copy all your folders that remain. and save to another folder. then delete the files remaining. The uninstall will not remove the files not added by the initial install.
Once you have the files remaining saved to another folder the install will go faster.
I would make sure a bad plane or scenery install is not the problem first. Your add-ons of default aircraft textures are the ones you will need to copy and paste to a new folder before the unistall.
Azframer
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Hagar » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:17 pm

The first thing I would try is to find fsx.cfg & delete it. Take a backup copy first if you're nervous. FSX should then create a new CFG if & when it starts up.
If this is successful you will have to reset your display settings.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Azframer » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:30 pm

Hagar wrote:The first thing I would try is to find fsx.cfg & delete it. Take a backup copy first if you're nervous. FSX should then create a new CFG if & when it starts up.

Roger that!
If you are running FSX in windows 8/8.1 click start then run and paste this %AppData%\Microsoft\FSX in and it will take you straight to your FSX.CFG file
I am not sure how you find it in Windows 10.
Azframer
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Evan Popchock » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:33 pm

Azframer wrote:
Hagar wrote:The first thing I would try is to find fsx.cfg & delete it. Take a backup copy first if you're nervous. FSX should then create a new CFG if & when it starts up.

Roger that!
If you are running FSX in windows 8/8.1 click start then run and paste this %AppData%\Microsoft\FSX in and it will take you straight to your FSX.CFG file
I am not sure how you find it in Windows 10.

I am currently using Windows 10
Evan Popchock
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Hagar » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:54 pm

I'm using Windows 10 64-bit. My fsx.cfg is in this location: C:\Users\Your user name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Canuck1955 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:30 pm

Often a corrupted logbook will cause this. It does no harm if you delete the file. Logbook.BIN found in C:\Users\yourname\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files
Canuck1955
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Azframer » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:17 pm

Canuck1955 wrote:Often a corrupted logbook will cause this. It does no harm if you delete the file. Logbook.BIN found in C:\Users\yourname\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files

He could create a "Hold" folder within that folder before deleting it to see if that is the case. He'll be able to keep his logs in case it is not the problem.
Azframer
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby TextRich » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:40 pm

Canuck1955 wrote:Often a corrupted logbook will cause this. It does no harm if you delete the file. Logbook.BIN found in C:\Users\yourname\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files

I am thinking a corrupted logbook file as well. I believe there is file that can repair the logbook file once it is confirmed that having FSX create a new logbook solves the problem.
TextRich
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Evan Popchock » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:04 pm

TextRich wrote:

I am thinking a corrupted logbook file as well. I believe there is file that can repair the logbook file once it is confirmed that having FSX create a new logbook solves the problem.

That's exactly what it was. I renamed the logbook file to logbook-old.BIN and that fixed the problem <<v
Evan Popchock
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Next

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam