Aimed at morons?

Talk about the latest Microsoft Flight Simulator - MSFS 2020

Aimed at morons?

Postby cevans » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:23 am

So they say 'an update is mandatory'

Meaning if you don't install the update they will steal back software you have paid good money for?

Really? If so I wonder if that's legal. What a pile of crap

cevans
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Re: Aimed at morons?

Postby cevans » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:32 am

Here's what I get when all I wanted was a quick flight to try to configure a new 2nd hand joystick with MSFS2020

24GB download :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

The update should NOT BE MANDATORY> WE PAID. WE CHOOSE. PERIOD.

cevans
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Ratty » Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:13 pm

Wow. Yet another reason to wonder if this will ever grow up to be a real flight sim.

Legal? Probably, but who wants to wade through the EULA to find out?
Ratty
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby zswobbie1 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:25 am

You buy a car..maybe an electric car, and you get a service notice saying that the car needs a service/parts to work. You also going to throw a pity part?
zswobbie1
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby cevans » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:12 am

zswobbie1 wrote:You buy a car..maybe an electric car, and you get a service notice saying that the car needs a service/parts to work. You also going to throw a pity part?

So imagine I have bought a Tesla for outright cash. Drives around OK. Then Tesla tell you if you don't get the service check they take the car back without any refund? :naughty: :naughty: That's what MS are doing and who's complaining?
cevans
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Cusance » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:51 am

cevans wrote:
zswobbie1 wrote:You buy a car..maybe an electric car, and you get a service notice saying that the car needs a service/parts to work. You also going to throw a pity part?

So imagine I have bought a Tesla for outright cash. Drives around OK. Then Tesla tell you if you don't get the service check they take the car back without any refund? :naughty: :naughty: That's what MS are doing and who's complaining?

you are by the looks of things.
Let me understand this; there is an update that installs several major improvements but you want to be able to reject them?
Now, bearing in mind that online streaming and connectivity is a big part of this Sim, not taking the updates would most likely break the thing eventually
so obviously Microsoft want to guard against that.
Many would then go online and complain that the Sim is 'crap' and doesnt work.
Actually the update doesnt take long and I guess that by now you will have installed it?
Oh and for the record, I object to be called a 'Moron' just because I take improvement updates to the Sim.
Cusance
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby cevans » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:34 am

Let me understand this; there is an update that installs several major improvements but you want to be able to reject them?

YES! Of course! I paid. I choose. Ever heard of freedom?

The point is this: I would indeed have done the update BUT - In my own time. I started the sim only to be forced to install a 20GB download there and then or have the sim uninstalled. That is out rageous. P E R I O D
cevans
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby ftldave » Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:06 am

cevans wrote:YES! Of course! I paid. I choose. Ever heard of freedom?

You realize you're talking about licensed consumer\commercial software?

The great leap is understanding that we're paying to use the software, not paying to own it, as all the ignored EULA legalese incomprehensibly explains. This era of "software as a service" is not even close to being like when we installed software from disk media. Those days are a fond memory, but gone now.
ftldave
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby cevans » Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:44 am

ftldave wrote:
cevans wrote:YES! Of course! I paid. I choose. Ever heard of freedom?

You realize you're talking about licensed consumer\commercial software?

The great leap is understanding that we're paying to use the software, not paying to own it, as all the ignored EULA legalese incomprehensibly explains. This era of "software as a service" is not even close to being like when we installed software from disk media. Those days are a fond memory, but gone now.

That's a pretty good explanation and also pretty sad to see where greed is going.

But I still stick by my point that the timing should be mine. I regularly get asked to update software but am ALWAYS given a choice about now or later. As it happened it took many hours to download that, by which stage I'd lost interest and started watching Netflix ...

If future updates are like this I will certainly not be using this 'game' very much.
cevans
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Cusance » Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:46 am

cevans wrote:

YES! Of course! I paid. I choose. Ever heard of freedom?

The point is this: I would indeed have done the update BUT - In my own time. I started the sim only to be forced to install a 20GB download there and then or have the sim uninstalled. That is out rageous. P E R I O D

Good, you have arrived at the actual point at issue. To use the software you MUST accept the updates. Your issue is that you want the software to be something that it isnt, and have a user right that you havent.
I feel your pain, but it is what it is. Next time read the license first.
Having said all that, the update was not very big and passed quickly.
Cusance
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby cevans » Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:51 am

If you call 20GB 'not very big' what do you call big? :) Hours to download for me. And if you read the pages of fine print? Really? :D :D :D JEEEZZUS
cevans
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Cusance » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:32 am

cevans wrote:

If you call 20GB 'not very big' what do you call big? :) Hours to download for me. And if you read the pages of fine print? Really? :D :D :D JEEEZZUS[/quote

To answer your question I count 90G as big. I think you might benefit from a broadband upgrade.
But as I said it is what it is.
Sounds to me that you may have a decision to make as these updates will keep coming and that no doubt will keep annoying you.
Have a look at P3D V5. May be more to your liking or even X- Plane. All have T&C ofcourse but they may annoy you less. Might stop you calling your fellow users ' Morons' done in first flush of anger I am sure, but still somewhat offensive.
Cusance
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby pete » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:57 am

Mr Crusance. I'm guessing you're not a simviation user. Mr Evans is a long time contributor and probably one of the most prolific repainters of all time. His files are some of the most progressive and updated in the world of FS and he does contribute for P3D5. He is no amateur. :)

His files have been downloaded many millions of times. We are very lucky to have him here.

I myself do have broadband but have not updated to the latest MSFS. It would also take me hours to download a 20GB file. We don't all live in cities with cable. Many of us are on telephone line broadband which will take several hours to download a large file like that.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Cusance » Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:45 pm

pete wrote:Mr Crusance. I'm guessing you're not a simviation user. Mr Evans is a long time contributor and probably one of the most prolific repainters of all time. His files are some of the most progressive and updated in the world of FS and he does contribute for P3D5. He is no amateur. :)

You are correct, I have never heard of him.
thanks, I get it. His emminent status qualifies him to call everybody who enjoys this Sim or actually reads T&Cs a moron.
I duly stand corrected.
Thanks for the heads up Pete.

My download speed is 56mgb and the update took 10 minutes.
on a UK phone line of course. but it seems to me that this isnt at issue.
Mr.Evans with all his experience obviously thought he had bought the software rather than 'the use of' with T&C attached.
I wonder how many others think likewise.
I am glad we were able to clear that up at least.
Cusance
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby papituwall » Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:03 am

Chris, complain about updates shows that you don't have used X-plane or DCS.
papituwall
Captain
Captain

Next

Return to Microsoft Flight Simulator (MSFS) 2020