This might save you a re-install

FSX including FSX Steam version.

This might save you a re-install

Postby Dave T » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:04 am

Everything was good in FSX until a recent update from Orbx went south, the sea was replaced with sand and airport elevations were destroyed.
Although comical I was not impressed with the way Fsx looked. I was not looking forward to a re-install of FSX and every addon.
Spent a few days looking on the Orbx forums on how to fix my problems, Two files were mentioned the Terrain.cfg in the main FSX folder and the lclookup.bgl found here C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Scenery\BASE\Scenery

I was lucky as I had installed Orbx at the same time on another pc so I just copied these two files over to this pc. I now have water where it should be and my runways are not buried in the ground.
I had a quick flight and it looked slightly different as it has altered the FSX cfg as well, a bit of tinkering should put that right. I also had to replace the scenery.cfg with my backup as that was also corrupted.
Replacing these two files saved me from a re-install headache for which I'm very grateful.

If you use Orbx and it's working ok I would back up these files to be on the safe side.

Terrain.cfg --- found in the main FSX folder
lclookup.bgl --- found in the Microsoft Flight Simulator X/Scenery/BASE/Scenery folder
scenery.cfg --- C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX (hidden by default)
FSX.cfg --- C:\Users\PC Name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX also hidden by default.

Hope this might save you some grief in the future.
Dave T
Major
Major

Re: This might save you a re-install

Postby Dave T » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:02 am

It also reset the scenery quality setttings in the FSX.cfg

Just a short test flight in the D17 to see how it looks.

I'm happy with that.
Dave T
Major
Major

Postby Hagar » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:56 am

Thanks Dave. This explains a lot. I had a similar problem but put it down to a recent huge Windows 10 update. I eventually fixed it by reinstalling FSX.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Dave T » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:14 pm

Thanks, not quite there yet but it beats a complete re-install of FSX.
Dave T
Major
Major

Postby garymbuska » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:52 am

Another way around this is to use FSX STEAM any time there is a problem all you have to do is rebuild the files it is a lot easier than uninstall & reinstall
The other good thing about FSX Steam is there are no disk to worry about losing or getting damaged
It is so much easier
I had so many problems with FSX GOLD that I finally said enough is enough and started using FSX STEAM and love it
granted one will still have to reinstall any payware there is no way around that
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
CH Rudder Peddles 27 inch Wide screen Monitor
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby Dave T » Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:48 am

Steams ok but my trusty old FSX Gold on good old DVD's has never let me down on the many pc's I have installed it on. I have used both online and phone activations with no problems.
Only had to install FSX a few times when Microsoft updates bricked the pc and I had no other option but to re-installl windows.
My boxed FSX has been very reliable, never had the problems that other people have had.
Dave T
Major
Major

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam