FSX panel.dll error

FSX including FSX Steam version.

FSX panel.dll error

Postby Dave T » Sat May 02, 2020 4:02 am

I was recently getting a fatal error warning when exiting FSX, it ran fine and only got this error on shutdown of fsx.
According to the error report it was
Fault Module Name: panels.dll
Running W7 64 FsX Gold, in the end it had nothing to do with the panel.dll or FSX but recently installed aircraft that installed microsoft visual 2015/ 2017/ 2019.
It only affected FSX and nothing else, removing the microsft visual 2015 cured the error messages and Fsx and my other games run well.

Microsoft visual 2015/2017/2019 contain the same elements.
Dave T
Major
Major

Re: FSX panel.dll error

Postby Kasey00 » Wed May 20, 2020 2:18 am

All these kinds of "DLL" errors almost never originate from within the DLLs themselves (a kind of fixed Windows type sub-routine) but are almost always caused by errors in the data provided to them for processing. In your specific case and judging by the faulting "Panel.dll" name in your modules folder, there seems to be something wrong in the panel of the plane you were flying (or trying to fly) when your crash occurred. Most probably, one of it's instruments.
Did you install a new panel recently, possibly as part of a newly installed plane ? If so, I would like to advise you to perform a test by renaming your problem plane's existing panel to something like "panelxx", then copy/paste the complete panel folder from any comparable plane into your problem plane's aircraft folder and then retry whatever it was you were doing when your crash occurred.
At least in this way you will be able to narrow down your problem.
Kasey00
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Dave T » Wed May 20, 2020 4:34 am

Thanks for your suggestion, I have already fixed my problem with the panel .dll error
I installed three aircraft recently that the first two installed newer versions of visual studio. The error above only when shutting down FSX and FSX ran normally with no ill effects. All other programs/games unaffected. Removed the recently installed microsoft visual C++, FSX error gone.
Installed the third plane which also installed visual studios newer version the error message reapeared on shutdown again removed the latest installed microsoft visual studio C++ and no more errors.
I could replicate the error by re-installing microsoft visual studios C++ 2015/2017 seperately or the combined 2019 which combines all three 2015-2019.
The error message could be a generic error message.
Thanks again for your suggestion.
Dave T
Major
Major

Postby Dave T » Thu May 21, 2020 3:40 pm

If you delete any of these programs and it doesn't work for you or other programs have stopped working. You can re-download them from https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/vs/older-downloads/
seperately and re-install them.
Dave T
Major
Major

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam