Bored with Coronavirus lockdown?

Videos! Discussion on Simulation, Game play, real aviation or other related video. Videos can be embedded links

Bored with Coronavirus lockdown?

Postby alickwx » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:14 pm

I am, so thought I’d give you another video to laugh at in case you are bored too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXlNkIMDrNU

The real life wind farm in this video was completed last year - I found the original planning consent document online, and it had the lat/Longitude co-ords of each turbine. Spent a week or so making turbines that look like the real ones, then placed them all at the correct co-ordinates. I don’t know if F/A18’s ever do pairs landings in real life, but I can tell you it’s quite difficult when you have to fly both of them!
alickwx
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Bored with Coronavirus lockdown?

Postby Flacke » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:24 am

Whats there to laugh at?, looks well done to me and even the music is appropriate for a flight video. Many sim videos are done with such horrendous pounding noises in the background that I have to turn off the sound. Then I miss the aircraft sounds.
Flacke
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby tjitah » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:23 am

Flacke wrote:Whats there to laugh at?, looks well done to me and even the music is appropriate for a flight video. Many sim videos are done with such horrendous pounding noises in the background that I have to turn off the sound. Then I miss the aircraft sounds.

Agreed, I enjoyed watching the video. Please tell us what add-ons were used for scenery and formation flying.
i7-4790K @ 4.6 GHz, ASUS Maximus VII Gene, GTX 1070 8GB, 16GB DDR3 2400MHz, ASUS PG348Q 34" 3440x1440 monitor, CH Products Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Pedals, Track IR 5, Oculus Rift, Windows 7 64-bit
tjitah
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby papituwall » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:58 am

Very nice video and landscapes! Your formation is totally realistic.

The Spanish Airforce aerobatic Patrulla Aguila always takes off and lands in formation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3bOwInS2BI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2qEgoDlerE

Also I have found this landing of two 18's in formation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F_VKkFQAJE

I have seen here in LEZG Airbase two 18´s making one inmediatly after another touch an go's.
papituwall
Captain
Captain

Postby alickwx » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:51 am

I thought that the idea of US Navy F/A-18's operating from a remote military base in the North of Scotland was a little amusing. There are of course joint military exercises, but I have never seen the US Navy, or indeed many F/A-18's here at all! (I used to work at RAF Kinloss and RAF Lossiemouth.)

Music is pretty hit or miss - there is not much available without running into copyright laws - it can always be turned down.

I was really pleased to see that real life F/A-18's do practice pairs landings - thanks Papituwall - absolutely amazed to see 6 aircraft all landing within a few feet of each other! Bet Health and Safety would have something to say about that these days!

I started to make my own photo scenery several years ago. Its a long, complicated and laborious process - I managed around 100 square miles before I discovered a guy and his wife had set up a business and had already brought the whole of the UK to market. They did an absolutely wonderful job - their blending and masking around the coastline is spectacular and they must have spend 1000's of hours doing it. Unfortunately for them, interest in FSX was already falling off a cliff and they did not sell enough to be viable, so the company folded. I managed to get the North of Scotland for next to nothing - it has now sold out. However, I see someone else is now selling their work at horizonsimulation.com.

For those that don't know, photo scenery replaces all the landclass files, so there is no autogen, no trees - nothing but flat photos. Anything sticking out the ground has to be placed there manually. Using the SDK, I've manually done around 10,000 sq miles of the North of Scotland. I do have the odd bit of payware (Inverness airport), and I also make use of freeware 3D models where I can find them, and use GMAX to make my own where necessary. I try to avoid payware from developers, because a lot of their stuff can really screw your system which can take a long time to sort out.

FS Recorder is a freeware program that allows you to record flight data. A recorded flight can then be played back from within the sim and you can then fly alongside it as if it were an AI aircraft. You can play back more than one recording at the same time but each aircraft does have a hit on frame rates. FSX also allows you to fly multiplayer with someone else using simconnect if you wish.
alickwx
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby ftldave » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:51 am

Yesterday Justplanes.com released one of their "classic" airport videos, LAX 20 years ago, on YouTube, and will continue releasing feature full-length videos every Saturday afternoon at 2 PM EST, to provide some entertainment for us locked-in plane fans.

Lots of 747s, DC-10s, MD-11s, a few L-1011s, a brief glimpse of a DC-9, and a night takeoff of a U.S. Navy Constellation, lots of other aircraft. Kudos to Justplanes for this gesture. It made for an enjoyable Saturday afternoon in front of my big screen at home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZtuDIuScX8
ftldave
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby alickwx » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:13 pm

Regarding fs recorder mentioned above; I made this video today with 4x C130s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T48NOTUAVCw

Aircraft is by CaptainSim.com and is a wonderful add on.

Mind you I then found this video with 4 real life C130s which is much more interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEhcyvQic2s

Wish you could edit/delete previous posts - I don’t like what I said in the last one.
alickwx
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby papituwall » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:03 am

Thanks for this video from VC!

Spotting videos are nice but it is supposed that simmers are in the VC
papituwall
Captain
Captain

Postby alickwx » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:12 am

Ah - ok - will only post sim in future - thank you.
alickwx
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby papituwall » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:55 am

Oh! Both kind of videos are nice!, just that usually are more form outside than inside but this is my personnel opinion.
papituwall
Captain
Captain

Postby Flacke » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:22 am

Hi Alick, when I grow up I hope to have the Simulator manipulation skills that you have. I guess that I will have to start putting more time and effort into learning the techniques. You obviously get great joy from flight-simming and aviation....me too.
Flacke
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby alickwx » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:40 pm

Hi Flacke,

That’s really nice of you to say that! thank you. I am always totally amazed that a series of 0’s and 1’s can produce such beautiful results, not only to look at, but the aircraft, the flight dynamics, weather, air turbulence, sounds, etc, etc.

I love learning how to use operating systems, how to use the SDK compilers and how to make 3D models just as much as using the end results.

A real world pilot friend of mine said I should spend my time and money on getting a ppl rather than wasting it on computers, guess I should have listened to him. It must be great to do both!

My friend used to fly Buccaneer aircraft off HMS Ark Royal. This video temps me nearly as much as fs2020. Well worth a look if you haven’t seen it yet.
The DCS super carrier:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ztrv_ZML8w

Hope you are doing ok during these troubled times.
alickwx
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby papituwall » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:09 am

Great video alickwx!
papituwall
Captain
Captain

Postby alickwx » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:37 am

Hi Papituwall,
It does look really, really good. But only registered 3rd party developers can get the SDK, and that uses C++ so that rules me out!
I’m also not liking that you are restricted to (relatively) small areas to fly in. DCS has a huge following though...
alickwx
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby papituwall » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:13 am

I have DCS and have bought in sales just for curiosity: Mustang, Sabre, Spitfire, A10 and C101, and have installed also two nice freeware, A4E and Macchi, but really I also don't like the scenery restrictions.

I think that some of those aircraft need too much attention and study. The A10 is practicall for having only this plane when simming, requires full time involvemet.

Regards
papituwall
Captain
Captain

Return to Video