Forced to upgrade, what MS OS do you recommend?

Graphics Cards, Sound Cards, Joysticks, Computers, etc. Ask or advise here!

Re: Forced to upgrade, what MS OS do you recommend?

Postby Hoorf » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:26 pm

Some info I may have forgotten: this PC has no password-protected accounts, it fires up and goes straight to Desktop, so I imagine I must set up a password-protected user account with admin privileges? Oy, this learning curve of a new OS is quite the ordeal! BTW, I wiped FS2004 off the PC and will do a clean install once I get my admin account going...thought it'd help to erase before doing all of that.
Hoorf
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Location: In between the bright lights and the far, unlit unknown...

Postby Tleilaxian » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:44 pm

Right-click on the program icon; click "Properties"; click the "Compatibility" tab; click "Change settings for all users"; check the "Run this program as an administrator" checkbox.

That's per Win 7 but I'm reasonably sure it's the exact same procedure for Win 10.

No need for password protected account and as long as it's the account used to install Windows then it's an Admin account.
Tleilaxian
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Hoorf » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:52 pm

Thanks, I'll get to that when I can today, it's hectic. It's been a year or so since my last post, and I'm sorry for leaving this thread hanging but between babysitting the grandkids and getting diagnosed with autism, it's been rough. What a year, huh? Again, thanks!
Hoorf
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Nighthawk117 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:44 pm

i got a new win 10 tower and it cant handle fsx accel. my 15 year old laptop with win xp still works great but its close to retirement my flying days are numbered
Nighthawk117
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Hoorf » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:20 pm

Nighthawk117 wrote:i got a new win 10 tower and it cant handle fsx accel. my 15 year old laptop with win xp still works great but its close to retirement my flying days are numbered

Well, agh...on all counts! I had XP on my old PC at one point but the eye-candy it offered was too much for me so I gave up. I might add on XPlane 10 later...

...oh, and I got FS2004 to work just fine on the new tower. Now I just gotta put my old hard drive in as a secondary drive then transfer everything from my old FS to this one. Thanks to everyone who replied back and helped, it sure means a lot! Hard enough with the XP-to-10 learning curve, I'll get there somehow!
Hoorf
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Hoorf » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:01 pm

So, here's the update: I cannot make my old hard drive work as a secondary on my new PC so I was able to get all my old stuff from the old FS onto the new FS I fresh installed on this new PC: aircraft, scenery, textures, modules, you name it. I double-clicked the FS icon on my Desktop to fire it up, get the "Do you want to allow this app..." popup, click "Yes", like I did last night when all was hunky-dory...

...Nothing.

I check my admin settings which got it to work last night...all's the same. Keep clicking the Desktop shortcut...zip. Nothing at all. What gives? This is frustrating.

UPDATE: the desktop icon has this stupid yellow/blue shield half-covering it. I don't recall seeing it there before.
Hoorf
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Hoorf » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:07 pm

Forget it, I uninstalled it. This should not be so hard to get to work right. Thanks to all for your help but a special thanks to Microsoft for this bullsh**.

This is definitely one big crock. Might as well sell my Saitek Cessna gear, it's useless to me now.
Hoorf
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Flacke » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:00 am

Hello Hoorf, we all feel your pain as we have been through similar trials ourselves.
Regarding Windows 10, once you gradually use it and learn it you will be very happy with it. Just go slowly and enjoy the trip.
As far as FS2004 is concerned I would not give up. Take some time off to relax a bit and then re-read all of the advice thats been given here. You may have just missed something.
You may also want to keep a a lookout for someone who flies MS Sims and knows how to work with them. They may be able to just help you out a bit and get you flying again. We need more fliers, not less.
Finally, you are to be commended for how you have devoted yourself to your Grandchilden and Daughter. Well done there. <S>.
Flacke
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Tleilaxian » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:59 am

Hoorf wrote:
UPDATE: the desktop icon has this stupid yellow/blue shield half-covering it. I don't recall seeing it there before.

That shield on the icon simply denotes that Admin privileges are required to run that file. (Which is not an issue at all; you are the Admin)
Tleilaxian
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby zswobbie1 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:05 am

That shield is pretty much standard.
So, to get FS2004 working, the sim must be installed 8nto C:\ and NOT into its default directory, the 9.1 update must be done, the 9.1 crack must be done, the desktop sim's icon must be clicked, then click Properties, then click Compatibility, then click XP, then click Run as Administrator.

All will run perfectly.
It's quicker to do than to explain.
No reason to Uninstall as all.
zswobbie1
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby superskullmaster » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:42 pm

Hoorf wrote:Well, it's been awhile and several things got in the way between my last post and now but I'm pleased to say that I now own a Windows 10 tower and am currently on it. I took everyone's advice and (1) installed FS2004 directly to C:/ and not via the default pathway, and (2) updated with FS9.1. I click the icon...it now says I have to have admin privileges to play. This is a wiped-clean PC, not a new one and I'm very unsure how to get FS2004 started past the admin privilege warning sign. Agh...help would be appreciated, and thank you!

Step 1: Uninstall FS2004
Step 2: Buy a $49 copy of P3D v4 while you can and install that
Step 3: Forget FS2004
Step 4: Enjoy

Or do you plan on using a simulator from 2004 for the rest of your life?
superskullmaster
Ground hog
Ground hog

Previous

Return to Hardware