Location of fsx.cfg

FSX including FSX Steam version.

Re: Location of fsx.cfg

Postby marcori » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:10 am

I have this strange problem with the "view hidden files" checked.
I can see the directory AppData\roaming where Lockheed-Martin\P3D directory and P3d.cfg resides, but there is no Microsoft|FSX directory where FSXcfg should be.
As far as the scenery.cfg is not hidden and resides in the main FSX directory, but after adding sceneries to the scenery library, the file is not modified, but I can see the new sceneries while flying.
I don't know if this is an issue, but I did't have this problem under Windows 7 (now I have Windows 10).
Thanks for the assistance
Ezio
marcori
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Dave T » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:43 am

The active scenery cfg is located C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX and it is hidden by default, probably the same for P3d. This is the one you need to delete and let it create a new one if it gets corrupted and you get scenery errors.
Dave T
Major
Major

Postby marcori » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:54 am

Fozzer wrote:
Azframer wrote:If you are running FSX in windows 8/8.1 click start then run and paste this %AppData%\Microsoft\FSX in and it will take you straight to your FSX.CFG file

Rick

Excellent short-cut, Rick!.... :clap: ...!

Paul....short-cuts are always nice!.... :D ...!

Sorry It was my fault. I use total commander to manage the files and I activated the function "show hidden files" and in fact I can see the appdata and programdata directories but without Microsoft directory.
using explorer, Microsoft directories are there.
I believe is a bug in Total Commander.
Thanks anyway to all people that tryed to help.
marcori
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Azframer » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:50 pm

Azframer wrote:If you are running FSX in windows 8/8.1 click start then run and paste this %AppData%\Microsoft\FSX in and it will take you straight to your FSX.CFG file

Rick

I did not own Steam Edition back when I posted this. to find the config is the same but click on run and add this:
%AppData%\Microsoft\FSX-SE
Azframer
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby zswobbie1 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:39 am

zswobbie1 wrote:The 3 most imprtant words in simming: Back-up, Back-up, Back-up!

I foung a little desktop search engine called 'Everything' from http://www.voidtools.com.
This saves a lot of head scratching when trying to find stuff.
It's free, & once you install it, it takes a minute or two to index your drives (once only). Then, when you want to search for, let's say... fsx.cfg, as you start typing, it starts giving suggestions, so, by the time you get to fsx. it will give a list of appropiate files names.

I've found it to be pretty essential for any PC use.
zswobbie1
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby tonii9 » Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:42 am

I just know what I've read about FSX-SE here and on other places, including the Steam forums and FAQ.
According to what I understand, FSX-SE and all related files will be placed into different folders if you already have FSX boxed edition installed.
It should be noted that this could make it difficult to install some third-party FSX-SE applications using auto-installers.
tonii9
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby tonii9 » Fri May 05, 2023 7:04 am

The fsx.cfg file is a configuration file for Microsoft Flight Simulator X (FSX). The location of this file varies depending on the version of Windows you are using. In general, it can be found in the AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX folder in Windows 7 and 8, or in the AppData\Local\Microsoft\FSX folder in Windows 10.
tonii9
Ground hog
Ground hog

Previous

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam