Can Microsoft Flight Simulator's 2020 reboot solve the pilot

Talk about the latest Microsoft Flight Simulator - MSFS 2020

Can Microsoft Flight Simulator's 2020 reboot solve the pilot

Postby ftldave » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:40 am

From CNN:

Can Microsoft Flight Simulator's 2020 reboot solve the pilot shortage?

The headline is a stretch, but the article is interesting. A new flight sim isn't going to address the life-crippling debt of expensive pilot training, the low starting wages, or the horrible hours for new pilots.
ftldave
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Re: Can Microsoft Flight Simulator's 2020 reboot solve the p

Postby pete » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:50 pm

Great article and read. Thanks for posting 8-)

Maybe we should now start the FS2020 forum! :)
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby zswobbie1 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:20 am

Highly doubtful, as it is an entertainment product, as per its t's & c's. It's a not for commercial use, and therefore not licensed as a trading product, unlike P3D.
It will be great for kids to get involved in aviation, and to practice procedures.
zswobbie1
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby pete » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:26 am

zswobbie1 wrote:Highly doubtful, as it is an entertainment product, as per its t's & c's. It's a not for commercial use, and therefore not licensed as a trading product, unlike P3D.
It will be great for kids to get involved in aviation, and to practice procedures.

Well for those of us who remember these forums way back in the early 2000's - several of our members went on to follow careers as professional pilots.
The realism of light aircraft flying is pretty good in FSX and P3D (being a private pilot myself). My biggest criticism of FS since the outset is the look of a pilot's biggest instrument, the window and view outside.

Presuming FS2020 views a real world Bing earth and PC's can handle the data flow, I think it will be an amazing experience and can only help to get more people interested in a professional career in aviation.

& of course virtual travel, not just for FS users, is not too far off either :)
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby garymbuska » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:57 am

pete wrote:
zswobbie1 wrote:Highly doubtful, as it is an entertainment product, as per its t's & c's. It's a not for commercial use, and therefore not licensed as a trading product, unlike P3D.

Well for those of us who remember these forums way back in the early 2000's - several of our members went on to follow careers as professional pilots.
The realism of light aircraft flying is pretty good in FSX and P3D (being a private pilot myself). My biggest criticism of FS since the outset is the look of a pilot's biggest instrument, the window and view outside.

Presuming FS2020 views a real world Bing earth and PC's can handle the data flow, I think it will be an amazing experience and can only help to get more people interested in a professional career in aviation.

& of course virtual travel, not just for FS users, is not too far off either :)

I would not hold your breath on that one I stumbled upon a video the other day and it was talking about what kind of PC one would need in order to fly this new sim.
Better hold on to your pocket book. Though the official minimum system requirements has yet to be revealed. They were saying one would need a 8 core CPU about 18 gigs of ram and a good internet connection.
Oh and do not forget a minimum of a GTX 10 series video card but preferred a RTX 2020.
What cracks me up the most is Micro Soft is claiming that they want everyone to have the ability to use this new SIM. Yeah everyone with deep pockets for what this video said this whole thing is really going to be for is the XBOX and you will need a subscription in order to play it. Of course they are not saying how much the subscription will cost.
From what they are saying is there is not a PC on this planet that can run it the way they show the trailers
All of the trailers come from a XBOX but what they do not say is what version of XBOX you will need I have a hunch a new version will be released just before this game does. Surprise surprise

I have to admit the scenery looks awesome but I think I will stick with FSX
So one will have to have this new version of Xbox if they want any real chance of running this sim the way the trailers show it.
But I could be wrong I am not sure who this person is that released the video I saw.
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
CH Rudder Peddles 27 inch Wide screen Monitor
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby Daube » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:26 am

garymbuska wrote:I would not hold your breath on that one I stumbled upon a video the other day and it was talking about what kind of PC one would need in order to fly this new sim.
Better hold on to your pocket book. Though the official minimum system requirements has yet to be revealed. They were saying one would need a 8 core CPU about 18 gigs of ram and a good internet connection.
Oh and do not forget a minimum of a GTX 10 series video card but preferred a RTX 2020.
What cracks me up the most is Micro Soft is claiming that they want everyone to have the ability to use this new SIM.

The thing is, the team of youtubers invited by MS in Seattle to test the Alpha were using computers with i7 8700k (not overclocked) and GeForce RTX 2080, and the sim was running very smoothly in 4K.
If you consider a more traditional resolution, like FullHD, it is very likely a GTX 10xx series will be sufficient to get an excellent graphic quality.

Now, a computer with an i7 8700k and a GTX 10xx is already a two-years old computer.
By the time the sim hits the shelves, these will be three years-old computers.
Do you remember what three years-old computers were back when FSX appeared on the market ?

Yeah everyone with deep pockets for what this video said this whole thing is really going to be for is the XBOX

No.

and you will need a subscription in order to play it. Of course they are not saying how much the subscription will cost.

Nobody knows about subscriptions at this point, not even MS.

From what they are saying is there is not a PC on this planet that can run it the way they show the trailers

Wrong. The testers reported the quality they experienced was exactly the same they saw on the trailers.

All of the trailers come from a XBOX but what they do not say is what version of XBOX you will need I have a hunch a new version will be released just before this game does. Surprise surprise

Please stop with the fake news, this is getting almost ridiculous.
The XBox version of the sim is not even planned yet, the devs confirmed the sim is developed mainly for PC, and XBox version MAY come later.

I have to admit the scenery looks awesome but I think I will stick with FSX
So one will have to have this new version of Xbox if they want any real chance of running this sim the way the trailers show it.
But I could be wrong I am not sure who this person is that released the video I saw.

#SAD
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby B0ikat » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:19 pm

That's the problem. Like the new Star Wars movie, the Captain Marvel movie, there are "fan boys" of competing sims that proclaim Doom and Gloom, even before the product, be it movie or flight sim, (especially if it's from The Great and Evil Microsoft, or simply because it's Microsoft) hits the shelf or theater. Always pay attention to the source material.
B0ikat
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby captjim » Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:04 pm

Captjim here again. Looking forward to the new sim, however my question concerns WIN10. My Win10 does not have a Win Media Player installed. It was mentioned that a technician at MS deleted this item accidentally. I eventually found a media player in the MS Store (VLC) that at least will play some DVD's but not flight simulator programs. My question is, will this have a negative response in the new 2020?? J.
captjim
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby zswobbie1 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:20 am

Why on earth would a flight simulator game need a media/video player?
Surely, by now everyone has a player to watch movies on your PC?
There are, in any case, many free players out there, VLC being arguably among the best.
zswobbie1
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby captjim » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:02 pm

Thanks Zswobbie1 for your reply. Do you have WIN10, and if you do how do you play your FS programs? Are you able to download 3rd party A/C? If so exactly how do you do it? In addition, FS has a lot of ship programs, however, I have not figured out how to download or play them also. I can find NO instructions on how to use these programs. Any help would be appreciated. Captjim (My system is: HP Desktop-PHVMGUR Intel(R) core (TM) 2 duo CPU E8400@3.00 GHz RAM 4.00 CB (3.90 GBN usable) device TD-83360B02- 1DIA-A3DB-58D8EB022CBA 64 BIT Product ID 00330-80000-00000-AA759)
captjim
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby B0ikat » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:08 pm

What do you mean by "play your FS programs"? After installing FSX (or almost any program) you should have a shortcut icon on your desktop. Double click on that, and whatever version of FS you are using should launch.
B0ikat
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby captjim » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:34 pm

Thanks BOikat for your quick response. I may not have been very clear on my questions. Let me try again. I have FS9 that will download on (D:drive) but indicates (C: drive) as the location. After the download I do click the icon and SF9 disappears. I can also download FS2002, however the area that should show the aircraft in BLACK. FSX will download, however it will not do a complete download and displays an error code and closes. I have attempted to correct these problems but to no avail. :violin:
captjim
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby B0ikat » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:54 pm

I don't think F2002 I compatible with Win 10without jumping through some hoops, and I have no idea what those hoops are. If you have a legit FS9, I was under the impression that it runs just fine on Win 10, but you need to use the "no disk" dealiebob. I think that's available from the Simviation download site. That way you can start FS9 without having to have disk 4 in your optical (D) drive. FSX should run right out of the box.
B0ikat
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby zswobbie1 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:35 am

captjim wrote:Thanks Zswobbie1 for your reply. Do you have WIN10, and if you do how do you play your FS programs? Are you able to download 3rd party A/C? If so exactly how do you do it? In addition, FS has a lot of ship programs, however, I have not figured out how to download or play them also. I can find NO instructions on how to use these programs. Any help would be appreciated. Captjim (My system is: HP Desktop-PHVMGUR Intel(R) core (TM) 2 duo CPU E8400@3.00 GHz RAM 4.00 CB (3.90 GBN usable) device TD-83360B02- 1DIA-A3DB-58D8EB022CBA 64 BIT Product ID 00330-80000-00000-AA759)

Yes, I do have Windows 10, & my 8 different versions/modifications of FS2004 work perfectly, & I can add aircraft & sceneries.

Here is some help for you, that I wrote for https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthre ... our-NEW-PC

Installing FS2004 into Windows 10 & Copying FS2004 from your OLD PC to your NEW PC
To INSTALL FS2004 to your new Windows 10 PC

1. Install into C:\ NOT into it's default C:\Program Files
2. Install the 9.1 updatel
3. Install the 9.1 nocd patch
4. Right-click the FS9.exe, select Properties
5. Select Compatibility mode, & select XP
6. At bottom, then select 'Run as Administrator'
7. Double click the desktop icon

To COPY & PASTE from your OLD PC to your NEW Windows 10 PC

From your OLD PC:
1. Copy the whole FS2004 folder to a portable drive
2. Open the Documents Folder & copy the 'Flight Simulator Files' folder to a portable drive
3. Find the FS2004.cfg file & copy it to your portable drive
This is normally found in C:\Users\xxx(your user)\appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\FS9
An easy way to find this FS2004.cfg is to download EVERYTHING from www.voidtools.com
(This is a very fast desktop search engine that will find the file as you type)

Once all that is done:
1. Plug the portable drive into your NEW PC
2. Open the C:\ folder & copy & paste the copied FS2004 folder therein
3. Right-click the FS2004.exe & 'Send to Desktop (create shortcut) You now will have a Desktop FS2004 icon
4. Copy & paste the 'Flight Simulator Files' folder into your 'Documents' folder
5. Right-click the FS9.exe, select Properties
6. Select Compatibility mode, & select XP
7. At bottom, then select 'Run as Administrator'
8. Double click the desktop icon
THEN
9. Copy & Paste the FS2004.cfg file into C:\Users\xxx(your user)\appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\FS9
10. Double click the desktop icon

NOTE: I'm interchanging FS9 with FS2004. Be consistent with your install!
zswobbie1
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby captjim » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:53 am

Zswobbie1, again I thank you for your assistance with my SIM problems. I'll work on it & see what happens. Captjim :clap:
captjim
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Next

Return to Microsoft Flight Simulator (MSFS) 2020