The floor is Water

FSX including FSX Steam version.

Re: The floor is Water

Postby garymbuska » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:56 am

When it comes to scenery you have to think like an artist. By that I mean you have to display items in a certain order or things get all messed up. If you are adding scenery to your library you have to make sure it winds up in the correct order or you can have things like aircraft in the middle of a hanger or water where land should be. If the scenery you are about to add has an auto installer be careful as it might not place the scenery in the correct order.
FSX or FSX STEAM do the same thing when ever you add scenery it will put it at the top of the list and it might not belong there.
As a rule of thumb you usually want to display default scenery than display the addon scenery but not always it depends upon what you are adding.
A good example I purchased a scenery called Clio JAX it is an update of the default scenery for KJAX (Jacksonville,Florida I had to make sure it was on the bottom of the list so it would display correctly.
The reason for this is most addon scenery will use what are called flatten commands which completely removes the old scenery before it puts the new one in.
If you do not do this it display the new scenery than the old scenery and the results will not be correct.
I suggest you do the following completely uninstall FSX steam by opening STEAM than right click on FSX and select uninstall after it has finished you need to remove any folders that were left behind and make sure your FSX cfg file is deleted once you make sure every thing is gone than go back to steam and reinstall it when finished you need to run it before you do anything else.
DO not use the regular method to uninstall FSX STEAM because FSX STEAM is different you have to remove it from Steam or you have not done anything because the original file is still in STEAM
When FSX is run the first time it builds the scenery library and the FSX.CFG file only after running FSX the first time should you attempt to add new scenery making sure it is placed where it needs to be at. Most addon scenery will have a readme file which will tell you if there is anything you need to do first before installing the scenery.
And unless the scenery is coming from a known developer like JUST FLIGHT or other known developers stay away from scenery that uses a auto installer as the odds are it will not place it in the correct place. 8-)
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
CH Rudder Peddles 27 inch Wide screen Monitor
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby meesh42 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:54 am

ITS SORTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've had to go through the back door C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX and add .bak to the scenery file in there so that it could rebuild the scenery when I restart FSX. Finally, I can get some hours under my belt with it again <<r
meesh42
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby garymbuska » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:21 am

meesh42 wrote:ITS SORTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've had to go through the back door C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX and add .bak to the scenery file in there so that it could rebuild the scenery when I restart FSX. Finally, I can get some hours under my belt with it again <<r

Wow that is the back door but at least it worked for you . Do you plan on putting them back in the library or do you think the scenery itself is the problem?
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby meesh42 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:00 am

garymbuska wrote:

Wow that is the back door but at least it worked for you . Do you plan on putting them back in the library or do you think the scenery itself is the problem?

not too sure tbh, its all back in the library with no issue so it must have been an installation error, I added the REX4 textures and other bits from steam and it's working fine, really weird though.
meesh42
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby garymbuska » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:50 am

meesh42 wrote:
garymbuska wrote:

not too sure tbh, its all back in the library with no issue so it must have been an installation error, I added the REX4 textures and other bits from steam and it's working fine, really weird though.

Glad you got it working. As i stated earlier stay away from unknown or unproven people submitting scenery that use an auto installer because you have no idea as to what and where things are being placed and you just learned what can happen when you display scenery out of sequence. It can be tricky
Now when you start messing around with MESH it is a whole different thing as it depends on what type of mesh it is.
My rule of thumb if I can not figure out what a scenery or mesh is for and where it has to be placed than I do not mess with it.
Some times you have to remove the default scenery completely in order to get the new scenery to work correctly and this is because the creator does not know how to clean or prepare the default scenery for the addon. 8-)
Gary M Buska
garymbuska
Major
Major

Previous

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam