FSX Expansions.

FSX including FSX Steam version.

FSX Expansions.

Postby pricelessppp » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:50 pm

What are some good immersive study level aircraft for FSX? That aren't at PMDG prices though. And also what would you recommend for upgrading the sims weather engine & would y'all recommend Rex sky force or something similar?
pricelessppp
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: FSX Expansions.

Postby Gunslinger619 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:10 am

I'd recommend Carenado or Alabeo. I have a lot of both and they are excellent.
Here are a couple of links:
https://www.fspilotshop.com/carenado-m- ... =1&ref=372
https://www.fspilotshop.com/alabeo-m-38 ... =1&ref=372

Enjoy!
:obscene-drinkingcheers:
Gunslinger619
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Gunslinger619 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:15 am

Oh and...
I used to be a longtime REX fan until...
https://www.fspilotshop.com/hifi-techno ... =1&ref=372
and
https://www.fspilotshop.com/hifi-techno ... =1&ref=372

There are FSX versions as well...

I am a multi-engine rated private pilot and this is by far the most realistic weather ad don that I've ever experienced.

Have fun go fly!
Gunslinger619
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby garymbuska » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:46 am

I agree completely I have been using some version of Active Sky for quite some time and currently use Active Sky2016 and Active Sky Cloud Art or ASCA . I have to say that between these two programs it makes flying a real joy and it can get challenging when you try to land in what would be called Category II or Category III weather conditions. The real world weather in FSX is a joke and no where near what the weather actually is at a giving time. That is where Active Sky 2016 can make a huge difference as when you file a flight plan it will place the actual weather in every single waypoint in your flight plan and it gives you a complete briefing as to what you can expect at each point. Asca will reproduce the clouds in a way that makes them look like the real mccoys. ASCA has several different themes that you can choose from if you desire I use what is called the Global theme which will accurately reproduce the weather at each point.
Just the other day I was flying a flight from KDEN (Denver) to KMEM Memphis. I took off under partly cloudy skies which changed to overcast and then flew into rain complete with lighting then flew out of that area into clear blue skies not a cloud in sight. That is the realism Active Sky can give you. If you go to WIFI'S home page and look under ASCA you will see some screenshots that may look like well edited pictures and you doubt that this is what the actual program can produce.
I am here to tell you it actually does create clouds that look just like those in the screenshot. The feature I like the best is when you fly through you actually fell like you are flying through a real cloud as you can see it through your cockpit every cloud has a distinct texture to it giving it depth
One of its other features is Historical weather It can recreate the weather that actually happened on any date so if you wanted to see what the weather was like when Hurricane Katrina hit you could do so easily as it will reproduce the effects of a hurricane.
And trust me I know it when I see it. The AVATAR i use in my signature is a patch I wore when I was in VW4 Known as the hurricane hunters and have actually flown through a real hurricane.
:?
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
CH Rudder Peddles 27 inch Wide screen Monitor
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby Daube » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:57 am

Gunslinger619 wrote:I'd recommend Carenado or Alabeo. I have a lot of both and they are excellent.

Enjoy!

Are you really recommending Alabeo/Carenado aircrafts to somebody who asked for study level aircrafts ? Seriously ? :|
Last edited by Daube on Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Daube » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:11 am

pricelessppp wrote:What are some good immersive study level aircraft for FSX? That aren't at PMDG prices though. And also what would you recommend for upgrading the sims weather engine & would y'all recommend Rex sky force or something similar?

Hello,

The thing is, if you want quality/realistic aircraft, you have to pay a certain price. You won't get study-level addons for bargain prices, that doesn't exist.
It also depends what kind of aircraft you are looking for. Let me make a small list here:

1- For modern airliners:
Beside PMDG, you have very few choices for study-level planes. FlightSimLabs (FSL) would be the first one. Their Airbus is the best you can get. It even surpasses PMDG in some aspects, if I understand correctly. However, it is also very expensive and very heavy on the performance of the simulator. If you want something a bit lighter, you may want to check the Airbus packages made by Aerosoft. These are not study-level, but they are already quite realistic and quite immersive too.
There is also another "top of its class", which would be the Majestic Dash 8 Q400. It is definitely study-level, and the best turbo-prop aircraft you can get at the moment. I read it's also very FPS-friendly, and the price is also less expensive than PMDG, so you should definitely consider that one.
Aside from these, I think there is some very interesting MD-8x, but I cannot remember the exact name right now. Maybe something like "Fly the Maddog"... I hope somebody else can correct me on this.

2- For vintage airliners:
You'll have basically two choices: the PMDG DC-6, and the A2A Constellation. Both have received very good reviews, although the DC-6 is not on the same level of details/realism than their modern liners, if I understood correctly.

3- For GA aircraft: I'm not sure there are any "study-level" planes in that category, but I would aim for the various aircraft made by A2A with the Accusim technology. They all have excellent level of details and realism, both for the flight model and the avionics. They are way above other makers. Two exceptions: the DA-40 Katana from JustFlight (has a similar tech as Accusim from A2A), and the (turbine) Duke from RealAir, which also received very good reviews for their realism.

4- For military planes: There is at the moment only one study-level plane at the momet: the Super Hornet by VRS, with its TacPack extension. Price is high, unfortunately. But the quality is excellent.

There might be a few others, but I don't have everything in mind right now...
The best thing I could recommend you is to ask questions directly here on the forums. If you are interested in an addon but you don't know if it's good or not, better ask us prior to wasting your money ;)

Concerning the weather engine, the "ActiveSky" product is the current best.
But this is just a weather engine, it doesn't bring new sky/clouds textures (maybe the ASCA extension does, not sure anymore....). For these, you might want to check some dedicated addons, both freeware or paywares. REX products are the ones who give you the most detailed choices, but I like the freeware set named HDEv2.1.
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby pete » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:24 am

And you don't always have to pay for excellence

I am also a real life pilot and there are quite a few here on simviation with pretty realistic instrumentation and handling

Assume you are at single engine prop level?

One example
https://simviation.com/1/search?submit= ... oy&x=0&y=0
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Canuck1955 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:34 am

Gunslinger619 wrote:I'd recommend Carenado or Alabeo. I have a lot of both and they are excellent.

Enjoy!

Excellent graphically true, but by no means are they study level in the flying of.
Canuck1955
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam