Vintage model aircraft plans

If you want to recommend or discuss other sites, this is the place ;)

Vintage model aircraft plans

Postby Dave T » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:03 am

Anyone interested in building model aircraft some nice free vintage plans in pdf format available from http://outerzone.co.uk/ is worth a look.
Dave T
Major
Major

Re: Vintage model aircraft plans

Postby Shadowcaster » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:37 am

Now that takes me back a bit, gliders, rubber band powered, control line and single channel bang bang RC. Balsa wood, balsa cement (remember the smell :o ) tissue paper and dope it's a wonder we all didn't keel over from inhaling some of the stuff. Cut fingers from the razor blade no model of mine failed to have my blood in it somewhere :shock: . Then came the maiden flight of your creation in my case it usually nose dived into the ground or sometimes flew of never to be seen again. I'm getting a bit misty eyed, thanks for posting and bringing back some boyhood memories. :mrgreen: Now lets try to download on of them plans. 8-)
All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy.

Spike Milligan
Shadowcaster
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:56 am

At the very mention of the smell of glue... ;) ...>>>

Airfix!

http://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/hobbies/mod ... ing/models

Dusty models still hanging from the ceiling in the bedrooms!

...and some remains!.... :lol: ...!

Paul.... :mrgreen: ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Dave T » Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:39 am

shadowcaster wrote:Now that takes me back a bit, gliders, rubber band powered, control line and single channel bang bang RC. Balsa wood, balsa cement (remember the smell :o ) tissue paper and dope it's a wonder we all didn't keel over from inhaling some of the stuff. Cut fingers from the razor blade no model of mine failed to have my blood in it somewhere :shock: . Then came the maiden flight of your creation in my case it usually nose dived into the ground or sometimes flew of never to be seen again. I'm getting a bit misty eyed, thanks for posting and bringing back some boyhood memories. :mrgreen: Now lets try to download on of them plans. 8-)

Many hours making a rc spitfire mk9 from rcme plans 66" wingspan, built one of the gliders from one of the plans on this site and lost it in a tree along with a boomerang that didn't come back.
Dave T
Major
Major

Postby Flacke » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:51 pm

Dave T wrote:)
Many hours making a rc spitfire mk9 from rcme plans 66" wingspan, built one of the gliders from one of the plans on this site and lost it in a tree along with a boomerang that didn't come back.

Hi Dave, I built a couple of Boomerangs as a kid that also didn't come back. Then a grizzled old neighbor man [he was so old that when he was a kid there were only 2 sex"s] told me that to make a boomerang come back you have to cut it into a kind of a "Arc" or a Curve. Then Calibrate it and it will fly out and then come back. Otherwise its just another stick.

I sure wish I could see that Spitfire with the 66 in Span. Still my favourite airplane.

Coincidently, my best friend from Washington State USA was at Duxford WW2 Air Base a few weeks ago to fly the DH Tiger Moth, Harvard, and....................Spitfire. It was one of two-seat ones that had been converted right after the War. It had a full set of Cockpit controls in his rear cockpit so he was able to actually fly it and have some fun with it. He is a Lifetime Prefessional Pilot who flies just about anything including Helicopters etc etc. They didn't restrict him much so they did loops, rolls, and some tail-chases and formation work with another Spitfire over the Cliffs of Dover. He said it actually made him "misty-eyed" to finally fly the Spitfire. I was very glad and jealous too. By the way, it was horrifically expensive in US dollars and thats the only reason I didn't go with them.
They also invited him to fly in one of the C-47s that actually flew missions on D-Day. He said that one of the Captains had been KIA on one of the -Day missions.

In my next life I plan to be a lot wealthier and do more of this type of thing myself.
Flacke
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Dave T » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:18 pm

I couldn't find any pictures of the spit but if you liked the vintage model plans you might find their sister site interesting vintage magazines in pdf format downloadable https://rclibrary.co.uk/
Some interesting magazines available to download and read.
Dave T
Major
Major

Postby Flacke » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:33 pm

Dave T wrote:I couldn't find any pictures of the spit but if you liked the vintage model plans you might find their sister site interesting vintage magazines in pdf format downloadable https://rclibrary.co.uk/
Some interesting magazines available to download and read.

OK, thanks Dave, nice site.
Flacke
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Very_Old_Man » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:48 pm

Ah yes. I made & flew balsa wood & tissue aircraft in the 1950's. Some 30 years or so ago, I went back to making model aircraft. These were plastic ones. I even had several of them appear
as photos in the FineScale modeler magazines, along with a friend of mine from Sweden. I did make models of the F-104 Starfighter representing every one of the 14 countries that flew them. Mostly 1:72 scale.
I also still have several plans of large Cleveland balsa wood kits still in the Cleveland box.
Went so far as getting an autograph on the plans of the developer just before he retired: E. T. Packard! Especially the Piper Cub...
Very_Old_Man
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Dave T » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:22 pm

Yep the smell of Cellulose dope throughout the house, maybe the shed would have been a better place to cover the wings and fuselage instead of the kitchen/dining room table.
I do like the look of the old vintage models.
Dave T
Major
Major

Return to Other Sites