map showing on top of flight

Prepar3D - Lockheed Martin has taken the FSX platform into a new level aimed at the professional.

map showing on top of flight

Postby Cusance » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:57 pm

This is a weird one and happens only in one specific saved flight. It does not occur with other saved flights with the same plane.
during flying something happened, I seemed to lose the sim p3dV4.5 for a second but then it came back. anyway I continued the flight.
But then whenever I displayed the map (I have programmed a key for this) the map appears as normal, mouse works on the map as normal but the flight continues in the background. so the screen isnt blacked out.
So the map is on top of the flight screen which continues, including sound in the background. Its kinda handy actually cause the flight doesnt pause, and I first thought it was a new fix in V4.5
but then I noticed that the right button to display the dropdown menu didnt work anymore. Just the default 'ping' from windows.
The ALT key works and displays the menu bar BUT I need to navigate with the arrow keys as my mouse doesnt work. But it does on the various options on the map.
No idea what happened or what I did. Its a bit weird because I quite like the fact that when the map is displayed the flight isnt paused but it does that only on this saved flight.
(By the way Lockheed, it might not be a bad idea to include this.)
anyone any ideas what on Earth happened?
Its not a biggy, and this particular flight isnt important but its all very curious.
By the way, if I then save the flight again, at a different point, the problem is still there next time. Weird. Half good, half bad.
Cusance
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: map showing on top of flight

Postby Nighthawk117 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:12 pm

Have you tried holding alt down and pressing tab?
Nighthawk117
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Cusance » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:08 pm

not sure I understand what that will do.
Cusance
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Nighthawk117 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:44 pm

If by some chance you have 2 different windows open it will give you option to pick which one you want on top
Nighthawk117
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Nighthawk117 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:48 pm

or try the bracket key "[" or "]" that might help it will remove new windows dont remember which one it is
Nighthawk117
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Cusance » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:11 am

Nighthawk117 wrote:or try the bracket key "[" or "]" that might help it will remove new windows dont remember which one it is

thanks for the replies. I am familiar with these and the tab. It just lets you switch between windows. Maybe I did not make clear what happens.
Imagine you are in cockpit mode flying and you want to display the map. The flight will pause and the screen will blank and display only the map.
When you then close the map, the flight continues. What happens with this saved flight is that the map opens in the middle of the screen, but the cockpit view and the flight continues behind it.
In fact its an improvement. The map works normally, I can use the mouse to zoom in on the map etc. No problem. I actually consider this a major step forward
as it makes the flight more realistic in sofar that you look at the map while you are flying. It is clearly a bug but one I wish would be introduced to P3D generally.
What DOESNT work is the right click button to bring up the top toolbar. And using the ALT key, which does work, the mouse doesnt work but the arrow keys do.
So in a sense I wish I know how to make the map thing permanent for all flights but solved the mouse thing.
Dont know if Lockheed read these forums but displaying the map without interrupting the flight is great, and clearly the code is there. (Or probably the code that
pauses the flight and blanks the screen is skipped.)
Cusance
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to Prepar3D