i'm getting old

If it doesn't fit .. It fits here .. - -

i'm getting old

Postby yancovitch » Mon May 20, 2019 11:19 pm

i don't know....forgive me for blowing steam, but we're alone up here and this is my only outlet for humor or whatever comes to mind.........
regarding tv dramas or crime shows....the background music or sounds are so loud, i can hardly hear the dialogue....and the actors mumble and talk through their rear ends.....haven't been to a movie in years, may be since avatar, which was lovely....so wife and i went to check the avengers end game cause of the publicity.....yuk....couldn't understand half of what was said...mumble mumble......maybe these actors don't go to school and learn diction or elocution...even if one talks with slang or dialects, one should be able to understand them.....and the actors to me, were just reading lines ....dead pan......gads.....and people were enjoying it!....
we left after an hour of agony....i've read sci fi and fantasy all my early life, but this was just a bunch of special effects interspersed with dispassionate mumbling.......and everything is shoot em up or blow em up these days...guess people are being trained for the next war or whatever......came home to find a simple british mystery or whatever to watch :D .....yea...i'm getting old....i'll probably turn into ferdinand the bull who just loves to lie in the field and smell the flowers............the only american dramas i enjoy are blue bloods, and blacklist, and sometimes the medical and ncis dramas.....
yancovitch
Major
Major

Location: born montreal, lived vancouver, now live in burns lake bc.

Re: i'm getting old

Postby Sinkrate » Tue May 21, 2019 12:56 am

Totally agree yan, film producers seem to have lost the plot these days. The same goes for computer game makers. The old stuff is still the best! :character-oldtimer: :character-oldtimer: :character-oldtimer:
Sinkrate
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Fozzer » Tue May 21, 2019 1:58 am

I haven't been to the Cinema since I was a very young lad, (Snow White had just been invented then!), and I rarely watch stuff on the TV, (apart from Judge Judy, for a laugh!)... :lol: ...!
I agree with everything that Yan mentioned!
Annoying background music, noise, and sound effects, even in (sensible?) documentaries and science programs! Even our "BBC" insists on drowning me with Background Music, etc
...and; "mumbling"! I may be going slightly deaf now, but everyone around me constantly mumbles very quietly, I just see slight mouth movements, and I am left out of every conversation, as though I am invisible!!
...and as for all the mindless violence in Hollywood Films! It's World War IV from start to finish! A gun crazy Society!
If I want to watch something interesting, I trawl through; "Youtube" on my Desktop Computer for old Movies, old British comedy programs, Motorcycle tours of Route 66!, etc, and cast it to my TV to watch!
That way, I watch all the "Nice Stuff"...and I don't have to shoot anyone!... :D ...!
"Violence", to me, just involves throwing stones at the next-door neighbours Cat, as it craps on my garden lawn.
Just like Yan up in the desolate wilds of British Colombia...I am getting Old, (85!)....but still with a wicked sense of humour!.... ;) ...!

Thanks for all the jokes, Yan!.... :dance: ...!

Take care, all!.... :D ...!

Paul.... :mrgreen: ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Canuck1955 » Tue May 21, 2019 3:13 am

The Americans is a very good spy drama well worth seeking out. Plot covers Soviet agents implanted in US society.
Other excellent dramas
Killing Eve and Shetland - both these are British.
Canuck1955
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Hagar » Tue May 21, 2019 3:16 am

I have to agree with all the above, especially needlessly loud background music & sound effects drowning out the dialogue.

However, I have to reluctantly admit that my hearing is not what it was & have to resort to enabling subtitles when watching most modern TV dramas.
If you want a touch of nostalgia I can recommend Talking Pictures TV https://talkingpicturestv.co.uk
Lots of classic British films & TV programmes, some in black & white. (I'm not sure if it's available in other countries.)

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby napamule » Tue May 21, 2019 2:07 pm

Well for the mumbling there is 'CC' (text of speech) on your remote if watching TV. As for good programs or movies: lots of luck. It's 'Video Game' profile (graphics, noise, camera panning, zooming, explosions, ufo engine noise (effect), groaning when shot or blown up (really?), and green screen edits (more like cartoons). I haven't watched TV in weeks. News=Trump this, Trump that so that's out. I too am getting old. I watch PBS (cooking, travel, nature) and sports (boxing, golf (Tiger), playoffs (only)).The 'mystery' programs are all alike: crime, villian, dick, girl, soap opera, arrest, happy hour. Over and over. Been there-done that!

I too am getting old. I spend a lot of time on YouTube (I mute the ads and click 'Skip Ads'). But it's got EVERYTHING you could possible think of (up to 2 hours on one topic). Some is 'click bait' but easy to learn to spot and X out of (I right click and then choose 'Open Link in a New Tab' just in case it is 'click bait'. Sometimes I have 8 tabs open - no biggee). I prefer to play 9 Ball (pool) for an hour, go shop at WalMart (and just walk around for exercise), ride my bike for 2 miles, and do housework at 2 am if I want. No need to be glued to the 'Boob Tube'. Nothing there worth a dink. I play a lot of music (MP3s that I rip from YouTube) and do audio edits (volume, etc). I have one USB stick with 29 hours of (variety) music and another 30 hours waiting to be edited and loaded as it's only half full. HA. That takes a lot of my time, but NO MONEY, and it's fun. Rock Out gents! Get big speakers and a woofer, light 'one' up, and Turn Up the Volume! Drowns out all the crapola out there (hehe).
Chuck B
Napamule
napamule
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Nighthawk117 » Tue May 21, 2019 5:33 pm

I grow up in the 80's so I can kinda relate. Everytime I get a chance to sit down and watch tv I find my self always going to the DVR to watch the old school sci fi from the 50' and early 60's. I just appreciate the older stuff more
Nighthawk117
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Hawkeye07 » Tue May 21, 2019 9:06 pm

I can't agree more with what you guys have said. The new movies are mostly special effects, death and destruction. Even the "History Channel" has been sucked into the reality shows B.S.

I got so tired of reality shows and nothing but hyped up mediocre stories in the news programs that I terminated my cable subscription a few months ago.

Too much Fake News, Fake President and Fake Reality Shows. NUTS to all of it!!! :snooty: :lol:

An Aircraft Mechanic only needs two tools, Duct Tape and WD40.
If it moves and it's not supposed to - use the Duct Tape.
If it doesn't move and it's supposed to - use the WD40.

Intel(R) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz, P55M-UD4, GeForce GTX960 8.00 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit & 64 bit on separate HDs)
Hawkeye07
Major
Major

Postby yancovitch » Wed May 22, 2019 11:57 am

yea, and let's hope the afterlife is not as contaminated :D
yancovitch
Major
Major

Postby Hawkeye07 » Wed May 22, 2019 2:58 pm

yancovitch wrote:yea, and let's hope the afterlife is not as contaminated :D

Yan,
I don't know why but your comment about the afterlife reminded me of an comment attributed to Mark Twain, not that it has anything to do with the subject of an afterlife.

"But who prays for Satan? Who, in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most?"

-- Samuel Langhorne Clemens, aka Mark Twain

Intel(R) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz, P55M-UD4, GeForce GTX960 8.00 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit & 64 bit on separate HDs)
Hawkeye07
Major
Major

Postby yancovitch » Wed May 22, 2019 10:23 pm

now that's pretty profound......
yancovitch
Major
Major

Postby Hawkeye07 » Wed May 22, 2019 11:24 pm

Yes, it really is profound isn't it. I never thought about it until I read that quote and it was like being hit with a bolt of lightning. It was like, "Wow, I never thought about that!"

All the good, pious people praying for this or that but no minister or priest ever said "Let us now pray for the Archangel Lucifer."

Hawkeye07
Major
Major

Postby Jetranger » Fri May 24, 2019 6:27 pm

Lately I've been watching reruns of this 1950's TV Show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWcJTQBXJnA
Jetranger
Major
Major

Postby B0ikat » Sat May 25, 2019 12:44 pm

In a dissenting opinion: I love the current "wiz-bang" movies, specifically the Marvel movies. From the first Ironman movie to The Avengers: Endgame, I buy my ticket, popcorn, large Diet Coke, find my seat and buckle in for the ride! Then I wait for them to come out on Blu-Ray. After Endgame, though, almost every other non-MCU movie ends up the movie equivalent of "elevator music". Almost. There are some that are still entertaining..
B0ikat
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby yancovitch » Sun May 26, 2019 12:46 am

nice to see the contrasts.....everyone is ligit.....
yancovitch
Major
Major

Next

Return to General Discussion