Arming Autothrottle on T7 Crashes FSX(SE)

FSX including FSX Steam version.

Arming Autothrottle on T7 Crashes FSX(SE)

Postby Tleilaxian » Thu May 09, 2019 10:20 am

I'm experiencing an issue when using most of the latest 777s posted. For example, when trying to fly "FSX/P3D FSX native Boeing 777-9 Lufthansa P3D4 compatible" (and others, but always only on the T7s) whenever I arm the autothrottle it triggers the Windows "Gee, lemme think on that there..." spinning wheel and then FSX (SE) crashes. It doesn't matter at what point of the flight I arm them. Tried after becoming airborne; tried just prior to takeoff roll; and tried as soon as the cockpit loads. Always crashes and it seems to be all T7s based on the model on which the Lufthansa 777-9 (mentioned above) was based.
Has anybody else experienced this and been able to resolve it? ... and of course, if you were able to resolve it would you be so kind as to share what you did to resolve it?

Thank you very much to anybody who can offer any suggestions.

**Edit** Just to be clear, I'm talking about the toggle switch; not the Speed Hold button.
Tleilaxian
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Arming Autothrottle on T7 Crashes FSX(SE)

Postby cevans » Thu May 09, 2019 11:11 am

I'll check it out and see if I can find a fix. Of course if anyone else knows a fix ??
cevans
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Tleilaxian » Thu May 09, 2019 11:26 am

Very much appreciated cevans! (BTW, thanks a million for taking the time to assemble all the packages you do and making them available. Truly awesome of you!)

Something occurred to me just within the past 10 minutes: In all the reading I did trying to find the solution, I found something somewhere that mentioned something to do with DirectX10 preview(?) causing FSX crashes related to other things; usually payware related add-ons. Could this be related?
Tleilaxian
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby cevans » Thu May 09, 2019 11:53 am

Just looked around at flightsim and avsim. No mention I can see there. I did find mentions here at SimV forum about 777 cockpit issues. Not exactly yours but autopilot not working. One suggestion was to see if the result is the same in the 2d panel. If not there may be a clue.
cevans
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Tleilaxian » Thu May 09, 2019 12:03 pm

I'm sorry, I neglected to say that this has always involved the 2d cockpit. I haven't tried it in the VC at all, but I will.
Tleilaxian
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby cevans » Thu May 09, 2019 12:08 pm

Right I've tried it. But I use P3Dv4 and don't have Steam (you should think about P3D! Kinda like the best FSX could be and better. $50)

Autopilot selected on. Turn autothrottle off and on and off and on to test it over. No problem. Have you tried again from a fresh start? Often you will use one aircraft and switch to another but there can be a kinda 'cache' in the system.

Last edited by cevans on Thu May 09, 2019 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cevans
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Tleilaxian » Thu May 09, 2019 12:49 pm

Thank you very much for looking into and testing it. I'm going to try it in the VC and see if it works there. (I looked into P3d but the price tag seems a bit steep, but it is a beautiful looking sim! I may end up going that route (no pun intended) but I wanted to try the FSX/GoogleEarth thing first)

Thanks again for researching/testing. It is much appreciated!
Tleilaxian
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby striker » Thu May 09, 2019 1:38 pm

I wanted to try the FSX/GoogleEarth thing first

Definitely worth doing that. I am not sure if they developed it to be in the cockpit view yet but makes that step towards VR flying like nothing else.
Reminds me I must follow up :D
striker
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Tleilaxian » Fri May 10, 2019 7:21 am

Tried in VC with same results: Crash! (Maybe I can figure out how to configure the plane so that it loads with them already armed. Not terribly realistic, but hey; it'd get me autothrottle)

@cevans, can I ask you where you find P3D for $50? That's way more reasonable than what I found!
Tleilaxian
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby cevans » Fri May 10, 2019 7:40 am

@cevans, can I ask you where you find P3D for $50? That's way more reasonable than what I found!

Academic licence. $59.95
cevans
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Tleilaxian » Fri May 10, 2019 10:43 am

cevans wrote:

Academic licence. $59.95

@cevans Thanks, I saw that one. Can I ask you a couple of quick, albeit quite naive, questions and then let this thread die as it's digressing from its initial purpose:

The site says it's not for pleasure/recreational Simming: This is not an issue?
Is there documentation needed to prove eligibility for the academic version?
I thought I saw some mention about a watermark on the Academic version: is it (the watermark) obtrusive or distracting ... or just downright obnoxious?

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide. I'd really appreciate your insight.

**Edit**
I went into the cfg and found:

[autopilot]
autopilot_available=1
flight_director_available=1
default_vertical_speed=800.000
autothrottle_available=1
autothrottle_arming_required= 1

I tried changing the "autothrottle_arming_required = 1" to "... = 0" but that didn't change anything. (Still crashed FSX) But now that I've had time to ruminate on it, it occurs to me that setting it to 0 might enable activating the Speed Hold without having to arm the autothrottle. I'll test that later.

Not for nothing but I also found something that was very helpful, for me:
[Reference Speeds]
flaps_up_stall_speed=174.000
full_flaps_stall_speed=158.000

Very handy to know, for me. On heavies like that I was coming in at 163 knots thinking it was a bit fast but doable and smooth, but I thought it was fast. But now I see that even with full flaps it'll stall at 158, so 163 probably isn't too far from what it should be.

/end_trivial_edit
Tleilaxian
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby pete » Fri May 10, 2019 12:22 pm

The site says it's not for pleasure/recreational Simming: This is not an issue?
Is there documentation needed to prove eligibility for the academic version?
I thought I saw some mention about a watermark on the Academic version: is it (the watermark) obtrusive or distracting ... or just downright obnoxious?

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide. I'd really appreciate your insight

It's a can of worms aired quite a lot in the past and not worth opening again. The choice has to be yours.
There is no professional pilot who doesn't sometimes fly for fun as well as a job.
There is no military pilot who doesn't sometimes fly his or her miljet and be enormously entertained.

Every serious FS (P3D) user has to learn in order to fly the sim.
Many flight schools used FS through the series for education.

You can buy it for yourself. It's up to you. 1000's including me have and will continue to do so. I'm a non currant private pilot and know that P3D keeps my mind fresh with flying and nav, etc.

The choice to buy or not is yours - but I don't want the debate to rage on again here as it has done in the past here and elsewhere.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Tleilaxian » Fri May 10, 2019 1:49 pm

@Pete I wasn't judging, and I have absolutely no qualms with using the software. I was really just wondering if everybody that uses it is a pilot, because I am not.

Would you happen to know if you have to provide documentation to prove eligibility for the Academic edition? Or anything about the watermark? (I've seen a lot of P3D videos on YT and never noticed any watermark so I don't know if I'm watching P3D Pro or Academic footage)

Thanks in advance for any insight you might be able to share. :)
Tleilaxian
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby pete » Fri May 10, 2019 4:15 pm

There is no need for anything. If you want it just buy it. Period. You pay. You download (BIG download! I've had to try several times usually with failed d/l's as it's about 12GB I seem to remember). It's yours. And I don't think you'll regret it. :)
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Tleilaxian » Fri May 10, 2019 9:18 pm

I think I will. It really is a beautiful Sim! (I finally spotted the watermark on a video. It's the smallest thing in the upper-most right-hand corner that you have to look for to see. Not something that would ever bother me. :) )
Tleilaxian
Ground hog
Ground hog

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam