FSX/P3D Question

Prepar3D - Lockheed Martin has taken the FSX platform into a new level aimed at the professional.

FSX/P3D Question

Postby Qenela » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:44 am

So I've been a FSX user since 2006. Now it's 2019 and quite obviously no matter what processor or video card I have (Intel i7/GTX1070) the game still doesn't do what it should as far as scenery and performance . So I'm thinking of making the jump to P3D since it is pretty much a 64 bit version of FSX from what I've heard maybe I'm wrong idk. So my questions were...

How's the performance in comparison to FSX?
Graphics any better?
Are the controls/buttons or user interface similar to FSX?
Will my add ons such as Rex, GSX, My Traffic, AS Next, A318/319/320, Orbx, etc work with P3D?

PS I also have XP11 but absolutely apples and oranges to FSX and don't want to redownload all new add-ons again. Plus FSX has always been my top choice.

Also since I'm new to P3D, what license do most people go with? I was looking at the Academic license since it is more affordable.

Well guys let me know and thanks again.
Qenela
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: FSX/P3D Question

Postby pete » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:44 am

Hi and welcome!

Your system should run FSX and P3D without too many issues. Have you installed a pile of extras? :) I suggest you look at what may be running in the background and close down unused programs to see if that helps.
My own system dates way back to before 2012, i5, 320GHz and 8GB Ram. Runs both fine on quite high settings, shadows, 80% trees, etc. No stutters and runs fine.

I have moved to P3D v4.3 and it is a smooth sim. Academic version (like most). I will not for now go to v4.4 because it cuts a lot of FSX aircraft/etc downloads out - & it will take years - (& probably never) to ever build to the variety and number of downloads available for P3D up to v4.3 - and FSX/FS2004. (4.4 is 64bit min. which means a lot of FSX and other previous P3D stuff will not work or will work with limitations like missing gauges)

It also depends on what you intent to install in terms of sceneries, etc. I use default ground scenery with some free addons but tend to fly airport to airport often in poor vis so it doesn't matter to me.

As you know, FSX is still great, as is FS2004 (many prefer that even). Folk tend to get a sim set up as they like it. Some invest $$$ in scenery etc. and don't really want or have any need to 'upgrade'

A good sim is a good sim.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Roypcox » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:18 am

Pete You have answered a lot! of my questions that I have wanted to ask but in my rusty old mind couldn't figure out how to frame my questions. Thanks for answering these questions in an honest way! Roy
Roypcox
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby yancovitch » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:39 pm

if i may......is there a program which automatically temporarily shuts down tot needed background programs when using fsx?...thought i saw somewhere.....
yancovitch
Major
Major

Location: born montreal, lived vancouver, now live in burns lake bc.

Postby Canuck1955 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:40 pm

Advanced system care (free) https://www.iobit.com/en/advancedsystemcarefree.php can do this but is a bit of a system hog itself especially in the PC boot up. I used it for a while and some of their other programs but got fed up waiting for windows to boot.
Canuck1955
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Daube » Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:26 am

Qenela wrote:...So I'm thinking of making the jump to P3D since it is pretty much a 64 bit version of FSX from what I've heard maybe I'm wrong idk.

You're completely right :)

So my questions were...

How's the performance in comparison to FSX?

Performance will be similar to FSX. P3D is still dependent on the speed of your CPU cores. It uses a bit more of GPU power, but it's still mainly the CPU that decides how many FPS you'll get.

Graphics any better?

Better yes, especially for the shadows, the 3D water surface (real 3D waves) and the volumetric fog. All these elements will slightly improve the rendering, and thanks to this, the same scenery will look better in P3D than it did in FSX. Keep in mind FS9 sceneries will not work at all, though.

Are the controls/buttons or user interface similar to FSX?

Totally similar, plus a few more commands that didn't exist before (like avatar mode, for example).

Will my add ons such as Rex, GSX, My Traffic, AS Next, A318/319/320, Orbx, etc work with P3D?

OrbX stuff will be fine, but for other addon companies you'll have to check their selling policies.
For ActiveSky you'll have to buy the new version which is made for P3D, for example. I don't know for the others.

Also since I'm new to P3D, what license do most people go with? I was looking at the Academic license since it is more affordable.

Well guys let me know and thanks again.

Most of the simmers take the academic licence.
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby superskullmaster » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:46 pm

Every version of P3D v4 is 64 bit. If you have 4.3 I see little reason not to go ahead and upgrade to 4.4.
superskullmaster
Ground hog
Ground hog

Return to Prepar3D