Forced to upgrade, what MS OS do you recommend?

Graphics Cards, Sound Cards, Joysticks, Computers, etc. Ask or advise here!

Forced to upgrade, what MS OS do you recommend?

Postby Hoorf » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:22 pm

So, XP is out. Thus, my tower is out. Now, I gotta get another tower and my big question is: if a guy had FS2004, wanted to keep it and put it on a newer tower, what Windows OS would he want? A lot of people have condemned Vista and 7, it seems, which narrows the field a bit. What would a guy in my position who lived & learned recommend? Also, anything to worry about regarding FS2004 and newer OSes? Thanks for reading!
Hoorf
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Location: In between the bright lights and the far, unlit unknown...

Re: Forced to upgrade, what MS OS do you recommend?

Postby Canuck1955 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:54 pm

Windows 10 64 bit without a doubt. Stabler than any previous version. Don't be put off by the naysayers, it's troubles are in the distant past.
Canuck1955
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby zswobbie1 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:05 am

Why on earth would you want a redundant OS? (no updates, no updated security patches, not optimised for newer hardware.. etc etc)

Windows 10 Home works perfectly with my 6 versions of FS2004..
There are a few things for you to note:
1. DO NOT install into FS2004's default directory (Program Files) INSTALL INTO C:|
2. Install the 9.1 patch
3. Install the no-cd patch
4. Right-click the FS9 icon, then Properties, then Compatibility Mode: XP the RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR

All will work!

Regards,
Robin
zswobbie1
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby papituwall » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:25 am

Windows 10 home here with no problems.

Agree with zswobie 1 procedure. I installed in default location with no problems, but later moved to another drive and updated Registry with Tweak FS registry utility.

In addition, for Nvidia GPU is key to select 0x004412C1 (Diablo III) in 1- Compatibility /Antialiasing compatibility
papituwall
Captain
Captain

Postby Hoorf » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:22 pm

zswobbie1 wrote:Why on earth would you want a redundant OS? (no updates, no updated security patches, not optimised for newer hardware.. etc etc)

Welp, because for the last 9 years, I was a custadodial dad/grampa with zero cash to spare, see, then I was a noncustadodial dad/grampa with zero cash to spare when more grandkids came along after my daughter got married, and...well...just no cash to spare.

zswobbie1 wrote:Windows 10 Home works perfectly with my 6 versions of FS2004..
There are a few things for you to note:
1. DO NOT install into FS2004's default directory (Program Files) INSTALL INTO C:|
2. Install the 9.1 patch
3. Install the no-cd patch
4. Right-click the FS9 icon, then Properties, then Compatibility Mode: XP the RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR

All will work!

Regards,
Robin

I'll definitely do that, now that I have some positive cash flow. Thankfully. And thank you, ZS! BTW, what's that "no-cd" patch you mention?
Hoorf
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby zswobbie1 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:34 am

The nocd patch is an essential 'patch' that will allow FS2004 to work with Windows 10.
There are 2x versions.. a FS2004 (FS9) version & an FS2004v1 (FS9.1) version.

You must first install the FS2004 program, then run the FS9.1 update, then replace the FS9.exe in the sim's program file with the nocd patch. Make sure that it is for the 9.1 update.

Goggle the FS9.1 update & the FS9.1 no cd patch.

If you are not sure, PM me & I'll explain.

It seems a bit complicated, but it's actually quicker to do than to explain. <<t

Regards,
Robin
zswobbie1
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Bofredrik » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:27 am

I agree with them that use Windows 10 64 bit.
Works without any problems with FS2004.
Also with FSX.
Good luck! 8-)
Bofredrik
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby pete » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:31 am

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Hoorf » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:11 am

Danke, pete!
Hoorf
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Fozzer » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:31 am

I recently got a new HP 14" Laptop (£180) running Windows 10, for watching Youtube in bed... :o ... :o ...(Motorcycles...trust me).... :whistle: .....

.....but my massive Intel i7 Tower Computer still runs Windows 8.1 (running in Classic mode) for all my games, browsing, etc, with no problems at all.
I find no reason to install Windows 10 on it at the moment!

It takes some getting used to Windows 10, after using the simple Windows XP, and Windows 8.1.... ;) ....!

Paul.... :mrgreen: ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Hagar » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:15 am

Fozzer wrote:I recently got a new HP 14" Laptop (£180) running Windows 10, for watching Youtube in bed... :o ... :o ...(Motorcycles...trust me).... :whistle: .....

.....but my massive Intel i7 Tower Computer still runs Windows 8.1 (running in Classic mode) for all my games, browsing, etc, with no problems at all.

It takes some getting used to Windows 10, after using the simple Windows XP, and Windows 8.1.... ;) ....!

Hi Paul. I suspect you might be running Windows 10 in Tablet Mode. This is intended to make it touch-screen friendly, like a tablet.
If, like me, you don't need this feature you can easily change it to Desktop Mode which is very similar to what you know & love in older versions of Windows.
Check this out --> https://www.dell.com/support/article/uk/en/ukbsdt1/how11767/how-to-change-from-tablet-mode-to-desktop-mode-in-windows-10?lang=en

You will probably need to restart your PC for the new settings to take effect.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Fozzer » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:26 pm

Hagar wrote:
Fozzer wrote:I recently got a new HP 14" Laptop (£180) running Windows 10, for watching Youtube in bed... :o ... :o ...(Motorcycles...trust me).... :whistle: .....

Hi Paul. I suspect you might be running Windows 10 in Tablet Mode. This is intended to make it touch-screen friendly, like a tablet.
If, like me, you don't need this feature you can easily change it to Desktop Mode which is very similar to what you know & love in older versions of Windows.
Check this out --> https://www.dell.com/support/article/uk/en/ukbsdt1/how11767/how-to-change-from-tablet-mode-to-desktop-mode-in-windows-10?lang=en

Hello Doug....

One of my sons bought my new £180 HP Laptop as a Xmas Present for me (PC World), (I already have an Android Nexus 7" Tablet) for watching Youtube.

The assistant asked if we wanted the "Touch-screen" version of the HP Laptop or not. We agreed not, just the normal screen for use with the Keyboard, Touchpad, and/or Wireless Mouse,
so I assume that the Windows 10 Laptop version installed works in the same/similar way as my Windows 8.1 Tower Computer with its QWERTY Keyboard and Mouse.
There doesn't appear to be a "Tablet Option" in the Laptop, so I assume there is not one, in its installed version of Windows 10.
The 14" screen is much more practical than the 7" Android Tablet screen for watching Youtube Videos!
The Laptop is useful for quick browsing whilst sat in my comfy armchair wearing my slippers.
The massive Tower Computer (Win 8.1) and Joystick are used for fighting off the incoming Alien Spaceships from the Planet Zorg wearing my Pilots helmet, silk scarf, goggles, and leather gloves!

...... :lol: ... :lol: ... :lol: ...!

Cheers, Doug!

Paul.... :mrgreen: ....!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby garymbuska » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:13 am

In reality there is no choice t make at all Windows 10 will be the only operating that Microsoft will support. Support for any other windows will stop sooner than most people think
as for FS2004 you will definitely need the no CDPATCH
The one thing you want to make sure of is not to install any version of FS in the default location any place on the C drive will work but if you are like me I have FSX STEAM on my B drive and FS2004 on may External drive 8-)
It is always better to install programs like FS on a separate drive other than the one your operating system is on. 8-)
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
CH Rudder Peddles 27 inch Wide screen Monitor
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby garymbuska » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:29 am

Fozzer wrote:
Hagar wrote:

Hello Doug....

One of my sons bought my new £180 HP Laptop as a Xmas Present for me (PC World), (I already have an Android Nexus 7" Tablet) for watching Youtube.

The assistant asked if we wanted the "Touch-screen" version of the HP Laptop or not. We agreed not, just the normal screen for use with the Keyboard, Touchpad, and/or Wireless Mouse,
so I assume that the Windows 10 Laptop version installed works in the same/similar way as my Windows 8.1 Tower Computer with its QWERTY Keyboard and Mouse.
There doesn't appear to be a "Tablet Option" in the Laptop, so I assume there is not one, in its installed version of Windows 10.
The 14" screen is much more practical than the 7" Android Tablet screen for watching Youtube Videos!
The Laptop is useful for quick browsing whilst sat in my comfy armchair wearing my slippers.
The massive Tower Computer (Win 8.1) and Joystick are used for fighting off the incoming Alien Spaceships from the Planet Zorg wearing my Pilots helmet, silk scarf, goggles, and leather gloves!

...... :lol: ... :lol: ... :lol: ...!

Cheers, Doug!

Paul.... :mrgreen: ....!

What no JACKET !!!! :lol:
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
CH Rudder Peddles 27 inch Wide screen Monitor
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby Hoorf » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:03 pm

Well, it's been awhile and several things got in the way between my last post and now but I'm pleased to say that I now own a Windows 10 tower and am currently on it. I took everyone's advice and (1) installed FS2004 directly to C:/ and not via the default pathway, and (2) updated with FS9.1. I click the icon...it now says I have to have admin privileges to play. This is a wiped-clean PC, not a new one and I'm very unsure how to get FS2004 started past the admin privilege warning sign. Agh...help would be appreciated, and thank you!
Hoorf
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Next

Return to Hardware