Airline tells passengers to get a BUS after UK-Greece flight

Real aviation things here. News, items of interest, information, questions, etc!

Airline tells passengers to get a BUS after UK-Greece flight

Postby Jetranger » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:54 pm

Airline tells passengers to get a BUS after UK-Greece flight WOW !!!!

Doesn't sound like RYAN AIR will be around much longer = Bankruptcy in the future !!!!

https://www.rt.com/news/448197-ryanair-flight-uk-greece-takes-day/

Holidaymakers escaping the UK for some January sun in Greece were left angry and stranded in a faraway airport for about a day after they were diverted – and the low-cost airline suggested taking an "eight-hour bus route" instead.

The Ryanair flight to Thessaloniki in Greece left London’s Stansted Airport on Friday evening for what was supposed to be a three-hour flight.

However, poor weather conditions in Greece resulted in cabin crew diverting the flight and ruining the hopes of those on board looking to enjoy a late night-drink or meal in the northern Greek
city.

Already substantially delayed, passengers were enraged when the airline "offered to bus them" to Thessaloniki – a journey of over 770km that would take over eight hours to complete
Jetranger
Major
Major

Re: Airline tells passengers to get a BUS after UK-Greece fl

Postby Bofredrik » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:23 pm

January sun in Greece? Sorry. That is not often you see that before march/april in Greece. :doh:
Bofredrik
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby tjitah » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:04 pm

It is a budget airline after all, which is probably losing money itself due to the diversion. It is not the airline's fault that the weather turned bad and was either forced to divert by authorities or by the pilots trying to save lives. If you paid through your nose for a first class ticket, yes I would have expected the airline to make a better plan, but if you want to cut costs by taking a budget airline, you have to accept that there will be no fancy frills. It may not be the most elegant solution to bus people another 8 hours and I would probably have been upset myself at the time, but if you think about it logically the airline gave the best solution for its budget and within the unwritten agreement for a cheap flight ticket. You get what you paid for unfortunately.
i7-4790K @ 4.6 GHz, ASUS Maximus VII Gene, GTX 1070 8GB, 16GB DDR3 2400MHz, ASUS PG348Q 34" 3440x1440 monitor, CH Products Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Pedals, Track IR 5, Oculus Rift, Windows 7 64-bit
tjitah
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Hawkeye07 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:10 pm

This was posted on social media (and included at the bottom of the above mentionedarticle)

"Yesterday, #Ryanair instead of landing to Thessaloniki, Greece, as scheduled, preffered to land to Timisoara, Romania! Yes! ANOTHER COUNTRY, indeed!
Due to snow they said. But in Greece we had dozens of airports without snow! Maybe Romania was cheaper, poor passengers."

Looks to me to be poor decision making on the airlines part. Seems to fit since they have been voted the worst short haul airline serving UK airports 6 years in a row.

That was also in the article:
"The incident comes less than a week after the Irish airline was voted the worst short-haul operator serving UK airports, scoring just a 40 percent approval rating from
over 7,900 people surveyed. It is the sixth year in a row that the airline has attained the dubious honor."

An Aircraft Mechanic only needs two tools, Duct Tape and WD40.
If it moves and it's not supposed to - use the Duct Tape.
If it doesn't move and it's supposed to - use the WD40.

Intel(R) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz, P55M-UD4, GeForce GTX960 8.00 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit & 64 bit on separate HDs)
Hawkeye07
Major
Major

Postby 511Flyer » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:52 am

Since when do Cabin Crew have the authority to divert a flight?

:o
511Flyer
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby cevans » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:19 am

Doesn't sound like RYAN AIR will be around much longer = Bankruptcy in the future !!!!

Don't get too excited. Many people don't like Ryanair but I have flown with them maybe 30 times genuinely without any problem I can remember. Clean new aircraft and nice young staff (often very attractive Eastern EU) . But you need to follow their flight rules or you will have problems. Most of the complaints arise from customers not reading the strict baggage allowances, etc. Get it wrong and you pay big.

Ryanair still makes big profits.
Biggest single airline in Europe. (Lufthansa Group includes several partner airlines)
Boeings biggest customer

Not nice if you're on the end of an arrogant attitude but the bottom line is people fly with them, and with billions in profits they won't be calling in the receivers just yet ;)
cevans
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby C » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:54 pm

511Flyer wrote:Since when do Cabin Crew have the authority to divert a flight?

:o

Poor journalism I suspect.

As for Ryanair, as has been said, they can ride pretty much anything. Half their pilots went on strike in last summer. Almost no long term effect at all and still absorbing 737s onto the register at an alarming rate!
C
Colonel
Colonel

Return to Real Aviation