Hunker down, here comes winter...

If it doesn't fit .. It fits here .. - -

Hunker down, here comes winter...

Postby Hoorf » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:19 pm

Are you prepared? Where and how?

Boise Metro area, we've been wary since Winter of 2016/17, which shattered everyone's expectations. When I moved there in summer of '16, they all said "We get cold after Thanksgiving, a couple of cold snaps down to the teens for almost a week each, snows which come and go, that kinda stuff." None of us had any idea what was about to occur...

After Thanksgiving...we got hit by what we locals call "Snowmageddon": wave after wave of snow hit us, accumulating, freezing in-between. Roads were solid ice from compacted snow and it was hilarious to see Pruises hung up on ice ridges made between tire paths in parking lots. What nobody saw was that over the course of winter, we'd get a total of 54 inches of snow, with the most I saw accumulated at one time being 32 inches. During that season, we had a cold snap of -12F for about a week. So now, people here are a bit more prepared than usual. It'll be interesting to see what we get this time around.

Feel free to regale us with your stories!
Hoorf
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Location: In between the bright lights and the far, unlit unknown...

Re: Hunker down, here comes winter...

Postby Fozzer » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:34 am

So... ;) ....

...you live in Boise, Idaho?
(Note it in your Avatar!).

Looking back, if I had a choice, I would never want to live in a place that was freezing cold, and covered in Snow and Ice!
Most/all of my North-American and Canadian Motorcycle Chums are now laying up their Motorcycles for the Winter, which is always a shame when they are compelled to do so!
My Trusty Steed is my only means of daily transport, so I have to ride all year round in Old England, (not the "New England" of my US Chums up on the US NE Coast!), on my Motorcycles, come Rain, Snow and Ice!
It always surprises me, that at this time of year, it is also cold and snowy even in the lower US States, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, etc, on higher ground!

As I get older, I dread the coming of Winter every year, and I wish half of my life away just waiting for Summer to arrive!

Take care, all, and keep wrapped up nice and warm, and drink plenty of hot Cocoa!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boise,_Idaho

Paul..... :D ....!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp5lKG ... 9JA/videos
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Hoorf » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:41 pm

Hoorf wrote:...and it was hilarious to see Pruises hung up on ice ridges made between tire paths in parking lots...

Yeesh, I meant "Priuses". So much for my being 5-consecutive-year Spelling Bee champ of my school ('78-'82) and making it to 18th in Regionals...

Yep, I need an avatar. Something that reflects Boise. Being that the State Bird/Flower/Tree/Motto here is the potato (it's true), I could muster up something, but a tad more reflection upon it seems due. I'm just glad that I don't live in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, like my good friend, who's constantly dealing with temperatures plunging down to -40F (-40C) in the winter. I've been up there at -40, it's no picnic at all. Poor fella...

To you and all, I shall raise a mug of sugar-free, spiced, hot apple cider, tinged with a little brandy or Yukon Jack. Need to flip a coin there...cheers!
Hoorf
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby yancovitch » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:50 pm

tried to send you messages fozzer...the don't seem to work....hmmmm....
yancovitch
Major
Major

Location: born montreal, lived vancouver, now live in burns lake bc.

Postby Hoorf » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:56 pm

I gotta be careful this Holiday Season, already fighting The Battle of the Bulge from Thanksgiving, the food just might regroup and attack for Christmas. Size 38 pants are not an option. "Nuts!"

The problem is: I'm the one who does all the cooking on the Holidays. :D
Hoorf
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Fozzer » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:58 am

yancovitch wrote:tried to send you messages fozzer...the don't seem to work....hmmmm....

Hello Yan!

Messages. Here in Sim V, or on my Youtube Motorcycle Channel?

I assume you have laid up your Motorcycle for the Winter, in British Colombia in Snowy Canada!

Take care Yan...and to keep the rubber-side down in the Ice!

Paul... :D ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby yancovitch » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:58 am

hmmm....clicked send private message.....tried a few times....no response....hmmmmm.....
gave up on the two wheel transportation 6 years ago.....there's no where to go here...only a highway with lots of logging trucks, and dirt logging roads.....not like where you live, although how you can see anything with all those hedges lining the roads is beyond me :D ....
yancovitch
Major
Major

Location: born montreal, lived vancouver, now live in burns lake bc.

Postby Fozzer » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:13 pm

yancovitch wrote:hmmm....clicked send private message.....tried a few times....no response....hmmmmm.....
gave up on the two wheel transportation 6 years ago.....there's no where to go here...only a highway with lots of logging trucks, and dirt logging roads.....not like where you live, although how you can see anything with all those hedges lining the roads is beyond me :D ....

Hello Yan!

I thought you were still terrifying the Canadians on your Harley!

You noticed our Hedgerows!
We English are famous for hiding behind fences and high hedgerows.

We are a secretive lot!

Its why I love watching my Motorcycle Chums in the USA, with their big blue skies, and wide open spaces...(NO Hedgerows!)....!!

Paul..... ;) .... :lol: ....!
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Hoorf » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:29 pm

What I would give to be speeding up the Coquihalla and Yellowhead Highways to Alberta... *sigh*
Hoorf
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Hoorf » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:49 am

Back from a small vacation to St. Louis to visit my boy, his girl and their baby daughter (my 4th granddaughter, total of 5 grandkids). Got to Boise/Gowen at just after midnight on icy December 14 due to no timely ride there, waited inside in my wheelchair 'til 4am when TSA opened up and got injected, inspected, detected, infected, neglected and selected to go to my gate...where a Delta 737-800 (old winglets) took us all on and made a departure on 10L into the inky black winter sky...and flew into a beautiful sunrise over an icy white South Dakota. Plopped into a cold, clear Minneapolis/St. Paul on Runway 30R, made the fast wheelchair trip with go-bag, gadget bag and cane, up the steep jetway, up those terminal slopes and over to a waiting MD-90, which took us off from 30L to St. Louis in just over an hour as I fought sleep...and as we then descended into very heavy cloud and fog into Lambert at around noon. I swear, the ceiling over STL was 200 feet!

But we got there, parked, met up with the kids and shared the back seat with Joelle, my 8-month-old granddaughter. We bonded instantly and had a great time for 4 days, 3 nights. And she and her parents got spoiled by Yours Truly, travelling all over STL through heavy fog, moderate rain and then clear skies. We ate plenty of food, watched lots of M*A*S*H & other shows, talked a lot...and Joelle and Grampa bonded further via shared napping on the couch.

December 17, the 115th anniversary of powered, heavier-than-air flight, and it was time to return home: at Lambert by 1pm and once again wheeling through TSA for more injection, inspection, detection, infection, neglection and selection for the trip home, wheeling quickly to the waiting 717, the Little Mad Dog, for the trip back up to MSP. Once aboard, we made haste for the runway, were cleared for a no-hold turn onto Runway 30L and immediate departure...and boy, does she love to get off the line! Rolled, rotated, lifted and climbed hard, got to altitude over Illinois, then Iowa and descending over Mason City, Iowa (site of the Buddy Holly/Ritchie Valens/Big Bopper crash) into Minneapolis on Runway 12R with the blazing, setting sun behind our right wing. Layover time was under an hour but the sky was night-black by departure...

Wilbur and Orville never had it so good. Or did they? Time would tell...

Now we're on the 757-300 (the long one) for the trip to Seattle...plane #2 of 3 that day. She's big but she's no slouch as she does a drag-strip launch and hard climb out on Runway 30R...for my former home of Seattle. The longest trip of all, we had an excellent view of the clear Dakotas below, under a 60% moon which lit the snowscape below beautifully...and lit the broken overcast of Montana with white clouds and white snow everywhere. Clouds hit over the Idaho panhandle and stayed that way across Washington, where we descended into heavy cloud which held heavy rain (the engine lights lit it up) and we got some bumpiness, which persisted as we broke cloud over Woodinville headed west, then lined up with Sea-Tac's Runway 16R for approach over Shilshole Bay and a flawless touchdown in spite of the rain and wind. Although I was used to Seattle being like this a lot in winter, it feels a little foreign...it's no longer home.

Once docked, we all got off into the terminal, with me again wheeling up those steep jetways & ramps for a slightly-delayed third leg home to Boise on an E175 Embraer. The delay was only 15 minutes (late arrival...we more than made up for it flying to Boise) and we again boarded, got seated, coasted up to 16L where we were again cleared for immediate turn-and-burn departure. That little 175 gutsily rocketed forth and up...and in the heavy, dark Seattle rain we encountered significant turbulence 1,000 feet AGL and continuing as we passed by Kent to our left and hit cloud at 3,000 feet AGL. Then a turn, many more bumps, climbed further as we bumpily passed St. Helens with no view, got to cruising altitude for a turbulence-free 20-minute koffee klatch (with biscuits) before descending back into major bumpiness. But now, the rain was gone, the overcast ceiling much higher up over the Malheur Range, crossing over Ontario, OR & the Snake River, then greased 'er straight on into Boise's Runway 10R this time. Now, we're home. Wilbur & Orville would've been proud.

Got off, I wheeled up, in and through to the chilly Arrivals parking area at 11:35pm, where my daughter waited for me to drive me home. Got home, straight to bed, slept for 9 hours straight...and smack into a massive fibromyalgia flare-up (almost identical to an MS flare-up) for 3 days, just now getting over it.

And that was my 5-plane vacation.
Hoorf
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to General Discussion