Bearly Tolerable in FS2004

Flight Simulation Screenshots displaying your Flight Simulation Experience. MSFS, FSX, Prepar3D, XPlane and other Flight Simulators. Focus is your Flight Simulator Experience. Please upload to Simviation (Button at top right)

Bearly Tolerable in FS2004

Postby akoyeh » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:01 pm

The Tupolev TU-95MS Bear, that is. :-) By Vladimir Zhyhulskiy https://simviation.com/1/search?submit= ... p&x=27&y=9 and a fun, lumbering aircraft that's still flying in the real world, predating the B-52 by years. Essentially the fastest prop around, those contra-propped turbines propel this beast along at respectable velocities and range. Showing her here in screenshots captured from 1 of 3 "Bright Skies" sets I'm working on. Screenshots are a great help in polishing light, saturation, and color balancing to the many sky textures. Goal: Realism.

Sun setting time...

Many small lakes and ponds to our immediate east here, border of the Sandhills of Nebraska.

Striking sky and clouds can really make a screenshot. Sets the mood.

Nice 2-D cockpit actually. Oval instrument displaying from widescreen, as with all the others. Am missing my old 3 x 4 format monitors sometimes.

She has a fair VC, though my flying mostly utilizes magnification 1.5X (30 degree of view) with basic flight information along the top left once I get airborne and stable. The view presented by my monitor being 30 degrees wide, I place myself at just the right distance from the screen so it's 30 degrees field of view in real life as well. Most would find this technique unusual, strange even, though for the proper perspective realism I wouldn't fly any other way after over a decade of doing so. The landings are delicious. Perspective: Use it or lose it. :-)

Never had a bad landing with this smooth bird, even in crosswinds with some turbulence thrown in. When I was younger, flying Mach 2 while burning off my hair from the virtual friction was cool. Now I'm perfectly content to fly heavies smoothly and gracefully.

Cleverness is mere opinion, bewilderment is intuition.

akoyeh
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Bearly Tolerable in FS2004

Postby akoyeh » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:12 pm

akoyeh
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Bofredrik » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:07 am

I have seen that aircraft, TU-95MS Bear, on photos and on TV when it is very close to swedish airspace.
And also on dito UK for the same reasons.
Bofredrik
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby akoyeh » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:24 pm

Bofredrik wrote:I have seen that aircraft, TU-95MS Bear, on photos and on TV when it is very close to swedish airspace.
And also on dito UK for the same reasons.

A Russian-flagged Bear was recently off your eastern border. A reconnaissance model perhaps?

Carrying no nukes though word is a flask or two of .vodka. fuel enhancement was aboard.

Thanks for the comment, Bo.

akoyeh
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Bofredrik » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:03 am

A reconnaissance model perhaps?

That could be the answer.
On international air space but so close to us that
the Swedish Air Force have to go up and show that
they should be aware. <<t
Bofredrik
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby akoyeh » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:59 pm

Send in the Saabs! Intercepted Bear crew members will hold up copies of popular U.S. magazines to our crews and other such tactics like waving enthusiastically at us. The encounters can last over several tense hours... and they can cover many miles during the process. Bears easily cruise 425+ knots.

This is reminding me of some history here. The native nations on this North American continent before we white skins appeared on the scene would often fight one another, but usually not in the sense of being brutal enemies. The Lakota Sioux and the Absaroka Crow are good examples. They were "enemies" long ago, though it essentially came down to two peoples keeping each other strong. Encounters were more often than not to help train the younger men, killing was not honorable, and most fights were not all that more dangerous than modern American football games when it came to it. The elders would separate the groups if things got a little too heated when someone got hurt or killed.

My point: Am seeing the same thing in principle happening with Soviet and then Russian Bears pushing, probing, testing other's defenses. It's a good thing, in my opinion. Besides, have suspected many years ago that behind the scenes that the Russians and U.S. Americans have actually been good friends for a long while.

akoyeh
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to Simulation Screenshots Showcase