Wildfire in Northern California.

If it doesn't fit .. It fits here .. - -

Wildfire in Northern California.

Postby Fozzer » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:24 am

As I sit here, in my cosy living room, with the damp and chill of Winter approaching, my Kron4 California News pops through on my internet of the California Folks suffering in a massive Wildfire in Butte County, (Highway 70), Northern California, devouring the whole city of Paradise and the surrounding area!

https://www.kron4.com/news/california/c ... 1582369196

With our latitude, climate, and weather conditions, it is difficult to imagine such an event happening here in England!

I follow these events every year in my Flight Simulator and explore the affected areas, together with my Google Maps.

An annual disaster for all the folks who live there!

Paul.
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Wildfire in Northern California.

Postby H » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:22 am

I don't have to be there to care but caring can be short on effect; it's a rather sad thing that we can say Paradise isn't what it used to be or other remarks to make light of a situation we've no control of --- that is my personal nature when facing such adverse situations; others have asked, during the events, how I can joke about something threatening my life... what else can I do when I've no reprieve? Disasters continue and this world has never been perfect. I've lost more than a half dozen family, friends and close acquaintances in just over a year and many more of them throughout my life. The first family loss I recall was a three-year-old who burned to death; with my own health issues I've now lost many who'd had none, yet I'm still here.
The information presented me, Foz, is that our planet will eventually come to a deadly, horrible end... it was never intended for eternity. However, that end is far off in the human timeframe so our world will host many more disasters; you and I will face our own physical end soon enough and, knowing some of your ages, I get concerned when I don't see you posting where I most expect you to and relieved when I finally do.

H
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Fozzer » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:52 am

...and further south, in Southern California, the coast, north of Los Angeles.

Malibu. The home of the rich and famous...>>>

Dramatic footage!

https://www.kron4.com/news/california/e ... 1583215511

Paul.

P.S...... never fear, @H, all is fine on the Fozzer Front!... ;) .... many thanks for your concern. (I just spend more time sleeping now!!).
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Fozzer » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:23 am

A fiery trip into Hell...>>>

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46161280

Paul.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby H » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:43 am

As said in song, "...a hot time in the old town, tonight" -- now, they still have the hot time but the town is gone with the night, offering a flickering glow...
I see a most prominent politician blames mismanagement and suggested funding cuts. If they can't manage with the funding, how are they going to manage without it? The portent is that they aren't going to do any better unless they are properly trained with the necessary equipment to engage the flaming terror -- it's very difficult to win a battle against already overwhelming odds.

P.S. As to sleeping, mine is erratic (definitely not to be confused with erotic). There's much more for our bodies to contend with as our operational abilities dwindle. With additional health issues, I sometimes have slept through a day or more.

H
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Hawkeye07 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:16 pm

The problem with the "most prominent politician" is that he has neither experience or knowledge about wildfires or fire fighting.

"H" --"The portent is that they aren't going to do any better unless they are properly trained with the necessary equipment to engage the flaming terror."

I don't think the problem is training as they have plenty of experienced fire fighters, but when you have a forest fire ranging over tens of thousands of acres, much of it inaccessible,
you need more fire fighters and equipment than they have on hand. If I was out there I think my reaction would be "Where the Hell do we start?"

So maybe this prominent politician should lend a hand instead of traveling to Paris to commemorate something else he has no experience in. Just sayin'!

An Aircraft Mechanic only needs two tools, Duct Tape and WD40.
If it moves and it's not supposed to - use the Duct Tape.
If it doesn't move and it's supposed to - use the WD40.

Intel(R) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz, P55M-UD4, GeForce GTX960 8.00 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit & 64 bit on separate HDs)
Hawkeye07
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:49 pm

Day after day...>>>

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ca ... ns-n934436

California, etc, Wildfires will become a natural occurrence all year long, rather than just a Summertime event, due to increasing temperate and drought weather conditions

Paul.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Hawkeye07 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:37 pm

Fozzer wrote:Day after day...>>>

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ca ... ns-n934436

California, etc, Wildfires will become a natural occurrence all year long, rather than just a Summertime event, due to increasing temperate and drought weather conditions

Paul.

OK, this might sound stupid but I'm accustomed to the Mrs. calling me that ....All these fires consuming tens of thousands of acres of trees, bushes and plants pose another problem.

"Trees produce oxygen in a chemical process called photosynthesis. In its simplest terms, any green plant (chlorophyll is the magic green coloured catalyst for this reaction) can remove CO2 from the atmosphere and combine it and H2O to produce sugar (C6H12O6) and oxygen gas (O2)."

Not to mention all the pollution from the smoke and ash. :think:

An Aircraft Mechanic only needs two tools, Duct Tape and WD40.
If it moves and it's not supposed to - use the Duct Tape.
If it doesn't move and it's supposed to - use the WD40.

Intel(R) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz, P55M-UD4, GeForce GTX960 8.00 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit & 64 bit on separate HDs)
Hawkeye07
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:53 am

,...and the reasons...>>>

https://www.kron4.com/news/california/w ... 1587566317

The fire is spreading at more than a Football Field per second...

....or 80 Football Fields per minute!

Over many years in my Microsoft Flight Sims, and the USA News, Kron4, etc, I have noticed that Californians have a preponderance to build their houses, etc, in amongst Trees and Scrub!
They build their houses in a garden full of trees!
Townships in amongst forests of trees!
I love trees, but in a climate liable for Wildfires it would seem to be a very daft thing to do!

I am following this Wildfire news every day on Kron4, and it is terrifying!

What chance do the Firefighters have against Mother Nature?

Paul.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby H » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:05 pm

Fozzer wrote:They build their houses in a garden full of trees!
Townships in amongst forests of trees!
I love trees, but in a climate liable for Wildfires it would seem to be a very daft thing to do!
They also build over well-known earthquake prone areas, so I guess you're saying the faults are their own?
Fozzer wrote:What chance do the Firefighters have against Mother Nature?
Since they're without totally preventing means the next defense is to get to it the moment it starts and Mother Nature has a definite head start... over here, over there and... pretty much everywhere...

8-)
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Fozzer » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:55 am

Hearses on Standby now!

https://www.kron4.com/news/bay-area/hea ... 1589819693

It's a nightmare!

Paul.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby akoyeh » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:27 am

Gut-wrenching. Indeed, Fozzer, it is a nightmare. The missing people total has finally been reduced from over 1,200 to just under 993. Many more to be found.

Apt thoughts and observations expressed on this thread. Many people on this planet are choosing to live in potentially and critically-dangerous areas. Gamblers of the highest levels. It's the main reason of my departure from the central coast of Oregon years ago: The eventual, inevitable great quake and resulting tsunami. Last devasting one was back in 1700, knowing this from records in Japan documenting the related waves that had crossed the Pacific to reach them. The populated regions of coast of the PNW are as good as gone, most of which are 30 feet above sea level or less. From the coast of Oregon up through SW British Columbia: It's coming. Researchers studying sedimentary records have learned that one "wave" of the dozen+ in the past 6,000 years was 120 feet of sea water rise. That is power. The similar 2011 tsunami in Japan came 45 feet over the tops of the 30 foot sea walls in places.

Have myself previously been evacated due to wildfire coming hard and fast in 35 to 45 mph winds to our community during summer of 2006. This short video clip's audio/visual haunts to this day, remembering: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsFvp-0mEZA We were overall extremely fortunate, several losing homes with few injuries and no deaths, many dozens of true hero fire fighters facing it to keep ithe town from being overrun. Here's a photo I captured earlier in the day as it was building fast and rolling towards us...

There will be many more events like this to come. We all know this deep down. Maybe more people will quiet the loudness of their minds to be able to listen to their intuiton, applying what they know while there's time to do something about the circumstances they've allowed themselves to get into.

akoyeh
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to General Discussion