Change in the weather....

If it doesn't fit .. It fits here .. - -

Re: Change in the weather....

Postby H » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:57 pm

Fozzer wrote: <<v One of my sons, some 30+ years ago gave me his unwanted; "radar-in-a-box", (Microwave Oven), and from that day to this, I have never used it! It sits gloomily on my kitchen shelf whilst I have always enjoyed proper-cooking on and in my trusty English Electric, Beko, etc, Gas/Electric Stoves. I could never get used to the time necessary to cook various foods quickly and successfully in a Microwave Oven! I always prefer to cook things very slowly, (for hours), in a conventional Gas/Electric Oven or Hob. I can see what is going on!
My two loves in life:
(1) My Motorcycle.
(2) My Gas Oven.
I need very little more!
I consider myself @ ½-generation after you; my last uncle died just over a year ago (would've been 82 this November) and my mom's passing a year ago, this Tuesday past, ended the previous generation -- but my oldest remaining 1st cousins are 85 and 84. Much has changed, in all aspects, in our lifetimes -- some for the better, some for the worse, some for no consequence... and some for which the consequence remains to be seen.
Only 60 or so acres of our farm was cleared for pasture and crops, the rest woodland. Our first fuel for heating and cooking was wood; I baked my first spice cake and peanut butter cookies in a wood range oven, which had a small isinglass (mica) window in its door (almost the entire microwave oven's door is a window); I also had my camps in the forest and occasioned to cook over the open fire. Eventually, the house was rewired and an electric range was placed next to the wood range. We humans can be slow to change so much of the baking was still done with the wood range but the electric stovetop quickly proved more expedient; eventually, so did its oven -- and there was no chimney smoke and dampers to contend with.
My parents introduced me to electricity and analog electronics with a science kit when I was 9 or 10; the U.S.A.F. trained me on radar circuitry and operations. So, I was a bit more comfortable when that circuitry was shrunk and placed inside a box but, as with all cooking media, it has its quirks. For general heating/reheating, a microwave will outdo external heating methods and, unless you try to apply conventional cooking times (remember the 1/3 time rule), resists charring. However, for baking it can be quite sensitive to the atmospheric humidity -- not only for the cooking time but for operation. Newer models incorporate safeguards against arcing and shorting; the humidity was so high a couple weeks ago that mine shut down before it finished its cook cycle; I finished up with my electric skillet.
Now, there are things I still prefer by slower methods: my 'boiled' dinners and, sometimes, bagged hard-beans, are prepared in my electric crockpot/slow-cooker. As to a gas unit -- not since a Nebraskan was cannonballed through his outside wall...

8-)
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Fozzer » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:48 am

H wrote:
"...... As to a gas unit -- not since a Nebraskan was cannonballed through his outside wall"...

[/color]

8-)

......A rare occasion to make headlines in the Daily Nebraskan Newspaper...... ;) ... ;) ....!

..... :lol: ... :lol: ... :lol: ...!

I must admit, I rather like the delicate control of cooking by gas, rather than electric; on/off.

Gas:
(1) We have to find a use for the Alaska Gas Pipeline.
(2) Put Nebraska back on the map again.

Paul...mostly full of gas.... :oops: .... :lol: ....!

https://www.outsideonline.com/2309006/a ... e-pipeline
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby H » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:36 pm

Fozzer wrote:A rare occasion to make headlines in the Daily Nebraskan Newspaper... ;) ... !
Mr. Fosbury, I told my foster mom that, if I wrote of it, my life would rival most any soap opera. Here's an abridged tidbit from my autobiography:

Mid 1990s... Nebraska... Tornado Alley. Many town homes have natural gas piped in... as did mine. The siren sounded and I was supposed to head to the shelter about a block away before the storm struck. Nearly made it to my door but went to my knees and prayed as my whole place rocked and there was a loud bang behind me; I selfishly prayed for myself first but, almost as an afterthought, began praying for the neighborhood.
It was nearing dusk when the storm struck, bringing darkness the sooner; electric lines were down and it was quite dark when it left -- and the faint odor of a gas leak. Hours later, after daybreak, I found that my home had been moved several feet and the outside gas connection was now almost under the home and leaking; the connection to the furnace was also leaking -- the utility company took care of the outside leak and checked my repair of the inside.
The bang I'd heard behind me was a smaller limb spearing through my wall. There also was a large tree (planted as a 'marker' sappling by the original owner) next to my home and its large lower limb had been snapped, but not severed, from the tree and crushed into my roof. I think that limb helped save me from flying to the land of Oz -- or less distinguished places of no return.
All had been dark during the night -- but it may not have been... if I'd lit a match...

8-)
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby H » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:30 am

:shock: Quite coincidental, this incident one state south of me:
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Previous

Return to General Discussion