backup

FSX including FSX Steam version.

backup

Postby yancovitch » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:36 am

how can i backup my fsx steam on to another drive?.....baby talk please :D
yancovitch
Major
Major

Location: born montreal, lived vancouver, now live in burns lake bc.

Re: backup

Postby garymbuska » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:11 am

yancovitch wrote:how can i backup my fsx steam on to another drive?.....baby talk please :D

That is easy
By default Steam is located on your C: drive in Program Files(86) if you have a 64 bit operating system otherwise in Program Files
than in a folder called Steam than in a folder called Steamapps than in a folder called Common than in a folder called FSX just copy everything in the FSX folder to what ever drive you want

But there is really no reason to do this at all because you can all ways re download FSX from Steam any time you want
This is one of the reason FSX steam is so easy to use you Never have to worry about CD'S or DVD'S going bad or getting lost
So even if your system was to completely blow up beyond recognition all you would have to do is to Buy another computer than just logon to steam and re down load FSX.
It does not get any easier than that. 8-)
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
CH Rudder Peddles 27 inch Wide screen Monitor
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby yancovitch » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:09 am

oh....do you mean that steam retains all my addons too??????....
yancovitch
Major
Major

Postby Canuck1955 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:07 pm

No they don't do that.
Canuck1955
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby yancovitch » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:13 pm

guess i needed to be more clear......how to backup fsx steam on another drive with all addons included to date......
yancovitch
Major
Major

Postby Flacke » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:29 am

Hi, its very simple

A. go to your main FSX file, right clik on it and then "copy" it,
go to your other drive and "paste" it onto the new drive.

B. then to fly FSX from the new drive copy, just log into STEAM and then launch FSX from the little airplane icon in the file. You can also make a "shortcut" and put it on your desktop. You would then log into Steam, then clik the shortcut and go flying.

It is comforting to know that you have a complete copy of all your addons in case you "experiment" and screw something up.
Flacke
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby garymbuska » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:32 am

What i said in my first post will copy every thing in the folder FSX EVERYTHING
But steam will only have the DEFAULT FSX program and will not have any addons you installed unless the addons came from steam but they would be in a separate folder 8-)
Myself I use FSX steam and have several payware addons but I do not worry about a back up because I can always redownload the payware.
Now a days manufactures are getting away from sending DVD'S or CD'S but are going to instant download which by far is the best way to get addons
so the need to back up things are fading away and will be a thing in past soon though it is still not a bad idea
Just keep one thing in mind HARD DRIVES will be replaced by solid state devices because all hard drives will eventually go bad
I have had to replace two hard drives so far.
And when your C:drive fails you better pray you have a valid copy of Windows or you are up a creek a smelly creek if you get my drift.
Like myself there are a lot of people who got Windows 10 for free
and getting another copy can be done but it takes a lot of work. :?
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
CH Rudder Peddles 27 inch Wide screen Monitor
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby yancovitch » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:43 am

thanks so much ......oh.... let's say my computer blew up or was abducted by aliens.......so i have the copy of fsx on another ssd drive to place in the new computer.............ok...i re-download fsx steam......do i just copy my fsx onto fsx steam?...and what if skip files pops up......
yancovitch
Major
Major

Postby Flacke » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:50 pm

Hi Yancovich , remember, when you go to your main FSX-SE file and make a copy of it and then paste it into your other hard-drive you will have an exact backup copy of it.
You can then fly your add-on airplanes from there and use any addon sceneries etc etc. Thats all you need to do, just fly from the new copy for ever if you wish to.
Remember to log in to STEAM before you go flying.

In my case when I made my backup copy I first went into my new hard drive and made a new file named FSX SE BACKUP, then I pasted my backup copy into it. Its just easier to find that way.

I often fly FSX-SE from my backup copy to save wear and tear on my SSD drive that my main FSX-SE is on.
Flacke
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby yancovitch » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:38 pm

thank you.....if i haven't got it by now...i'll never get it :D :D
yancovitch
Major
Major

Postby papituwall » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:01 am

yancovitch wrote:thanks so much ......oh.... let's say my computer blew up or was abducted by aliens.......so i have the copy of fsx on another ssd drive to place in the new computer.............ok...i re-download fsx steam......do i just copy my fsx onto fsx steam?...and what if skip files pops up......

This is what I understand:

New computer
A copy of FSX SE in a ssd drive

If you move the copy to the new computer, as far as I know FSX wont work, because there are other folders related to FSX during the install. [ User/Appdata/Roaming/Microsoft/FSX; C:/Programdata/Microsoft/FSX; etc.)

The way is always install FSX from Steam in the default place. Then you have two options:

1-YOU WANT USE FSX FROM THE EXTERNAL DRIVE:
Set a new FSX SE registry path with FSX TweakFS Registry Utility V1.21(not in Simviation but google this text). This means that you must locate as the real FSX the FSX SE that you have in your SSD.
NOTE TO THIS PROCEDURE: This way Steam is not aware that FSX is in another drive, not a big problem because there won't be updates for FSX. But iI think this can be solved with the option included in Steam for moving FSX to another directory..

2-YOU WANT USE FSX FROM THE DEFAULT LOCATION:
Replace this clean FSX (you can backup it) with the one in the SSD (keep also a backup). You can always move to another drive, using "move FSX to another directory".
papituwall
Captain
Captain

Postby Flacke » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:33 pm

Hi Papituall

A. go to your FSX-SE main file.
B. cut a copy of the main file.
C.paste it to the other/new harddrive
D. log in to STEAM
E. go in to your copy of FSX-SE and clik on the FSE.EXE icon to start FSX-SE sim.
F. fly your buns off, its all there, addon airplanes, addon ORBX scenery etc etc etc.

I fly off my backup copy almost every day and fly addon airplanes almost always.
Flacke
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby yancovitch » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:21 pm

merci merci!!............cheers, vic
yancovitch
Major
Major

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam