Phone scams

If it doesn't fit .. It fits here .. - -

Phone scams

Postby Dave T » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:30 am

Phone scams doing the rounds again, I have had three calls this month claiming to be from the HRMC and a lawsuit and most days an Indian woman claiming to be from Microsoft. Three times yesterday the same woman Microsoft scam, I'm thinking about removing the phone from the socket so that it just rings on the other end and I don't have to answer it.
Anyone wants me they can ring my mobile.
Dave T
Major
Major

Re: Phone scams

Postby B0ikat » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:09 pm

I've had a few like that, claiming to be "Microsoft Security", claiming they had detected "unusual activity" on my computer. I always ask "On which one and when?" They never seem be able to answer those questions. The last time was a few months ago, and the "agent" didn't even bother to guess or BS, but just hung up on me. How rude! 8-)
B0ikat
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Sinkrate » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:16 am

I'm thinking about removing the phone from the socket so that it just rings on the other end and I don't have to answer it.

I did that years ago; have had a peaceful life since! I do all my communication on line now; if it doesn't happen on line, it doesn't happen to me! :dance:

The British phone network has gone to the dogs, along with most of our other national assets. :cry:
Sinkrate
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Dave T » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:36 am

Thanks they are more annoying than anything else, she became quite feisty when she realised I wasn't going to go to the website she suggested to download a file to give them access to my PC. She got even worse when I told her she wasn't a Microsoft representative and that it was a scam, she replied she would shut my computer down well its still working and she hasn't rang back.
Dave T
Major
Major

Postby FlexibleFlier » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:41 am

Simplest solution: don't answer the phone if you don't recognize the number. My system also lets me block a number so if the caller doesn't leave a message but calls back I assume it's a scam and block that number. I've reduced my unwanted calls to almost zero.
FlexibleFlier
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby zswobbie1 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:54 am

Guys, why not have fun with them? It's their call, so, just do not answer any of their questions, ask them totally unrelated stuff, such as.. What color car do they have, start telling about your dog, the weather or whatever.
Have fun with them. Tell them you collect car hubcaps, or second hand beer bottle caps, even tell them you work for Microsoft as well. Ask them if they have met Bill, of if they have been to his house. Tell them you work for AVG, and if they are interested in a special offer..

Have fun, it's their call..

Cheers,
Robin
zswobbie1
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Boromir » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:00 am

Indeed, have a little fun and throw them for a loop. I start speaking in random, non-sensical ways. I look around the room, pick an object and start rambling about it. I get a good laugh afterwards when they hang up and never call back. Also it forces me to become creative and out of my otherwise hum-drum boring personality. I become an actor! Come to think of it it's been a while since any of these bozos have called...

Greetings from Vermont~

GG
Boromir
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby ftldave » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:24 am

Sing a few bars of "Punjab", really surprise the scam callers.

PUNJAB by Heywood Banks

ftldave
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Return to General Discussion