Of possible intrest to Fozzer...

If it doesn't fit .. It fits here .. - -

Re: Of possible intrest to Fozzer...

Postby Fozzer » Mon May 07, 2018 3:21 am

511Flyer wrote:A mouthful of Muffins? Now you're talking!

:roll:

...distant memories, Den!

...best forgotten!.... ;) .... :lol: ... :lol: ...!

Paul.... :lol: ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby H » Mon May 07, 2018 6:47 am

The Appalachian write-up states that the eastern wolf and cougar have been 'extirpated'. Speaking for only NH, I've seen only one wolf in the wild, quite some decades ago; cougars I've seen more often: a female when I was @ five, a young male when I was fifteen and both male and female on the road I traveled to work (@ fifteen years ago, six miles from here); also, I don't recall the presence of a timber rattler and, although I once encountered copperheads near my abode, the unmentioned spotted and black adders seem sightly more common here (I'm not sure of their similarity to the European).

8-)
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Hawkeye07 » Mon May 07, 2018 10:58 pm

Well Paul, I once traveled down to Greenwood, Mississippi from Memphis back in the early '80's as ground crew for a TBM Avenger at an airshow put on by a local gent. The second night there
we were all invited to his farm for a party. There I had the pleasure of encountering those delicious Crawdads for the first time. They were cooked over a wood fire in a large caldron by an old Black gentleman who told me about the finer points of crawdad preparation. We also had corn cobs cut in half just like the picture above. They were some of the most delicious seafood I've ever eaten. Luckily I had made friends with a good old boy from Florida named Slim and he instructed this uncouth Yankee in the proper Crawdad etiquette so I wouldn't embarrass myself.

What a great night! :dance: By the way, they can be rather "spicy". The corn was so spicy my friend who I rode with from Memphis couldn't eat it.
I wolfed it down with copious amounts of beer.

Not too long after returning to Memphis my girlfriend took me to a bar where every Wednesday night they have "All You Can Eat" Frog Legs as the menu Dinner Special.
Now there's some good eatin'! If you want to go the bar is located in Millington, TN., a suburb of Memphis. You can't miss it if you just drive along Elvis Presley Boulevard.
No Joke, EPB goes out that far!

An Aircraft Mechanic only needs two tools, Duct Tape and WD40.
If it moves and it's not supposed to - use the Duct Tape.
If it doesn't move and it's supposed to - use the WD40.

Intel(R) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz, P55M-UD4, GeForce GTX960 8.00 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit & 64 bit on separate HDs)
Hawkeye07
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Tue May 08, 2018 4:32 am

Ta, Chris!.... :D ....!

I must admit, after many years of enjoying Mum's Home Cooking (English style), I am not very adventurous when it comes to; "Foreign food".... ;) ... ;) ...!

A bit of;"Indian" with lots of herbs and spices is fine, but very strange; "Chinese" cuisine containing mostly noodles and grass and various stuff, is quite beyond my comprehension, similarly "Mexican" food which is a bit of an unknown for me, and is obviously popular with folks of USA Mexican decent...
...most of the Southern USA is "Mexican" anyway!.... :D ...!

If it doesn't look right, then it won't taste right, according to my book of culinary rules... :lol: ...!

...and it has to contain Gravy!

And the possibility of suffering from; "tummy upsets" is something I avoid like the Plague, so I tend to stick to recipes and ingredients I am happy with!.... :o ...!

...and, for me, Happiness comes next to Roast Beef-le-ness!..... :lol: ...!

What I watch on my UK TV every day to see what my American Chums are getting down their beefburger necks!.... :D ....>>> https://www.foodnetwork.com/

...lots of interesting stuff of strange origins.....(containing lots of unhealthy Sugar, Fats, and Salt).... ;) ....!

Paul....Steak Pie for Dins today, with loadsa Veg and lotsa Gravy...and not a Noodle insight!!..... :dance: ....!

..... :lol: ....!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Fozzer » Tue May 08, 2018 5:19 am

...lest we forget!....>>>>

https://www.foodnetwork.com/shows/diner ... -and-dives

Welcome to your next heart attack!.... :lol: ...!

Paul..... :D ... :D ...!
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby H » Tue May 08, 2018 8:27 am

Hawkeye07 wrote:...I had the pleasure of encountering those delicious Crawdads for the first time. They were cooked over a wood fire in a large caldron by an old Black gentleman who told me about the finer points of crawdad preparation. We also had corn cobs cut in half just like the picture above. They were some of the most delicious seafood I've ever eaten. Luckily I had made friends with a good old boy from Florida named Slim and he instructed this uncouth Yankee in the proper Crawdad etiquette so I wouldn't embarrass myself.
I somewhat ponder here, Hawkeye. I'm familiar with the names rock lobster and spiny lobster referring to a larger warm-water ocean [seafood] type of crayfish. I've thought the terms crawdad(dy) and crawfish usually referred to the smaller fresh-water type of these crustaceans but the terms may well be interchangeable.
I'm more familiar with the cold-water ocean [seafood] "Maine" lobster (a larger variety with huge claws) but, I believe, most of these crustaceans have similar physique: large eyes but poor vision, kidneys in their head and teeth in their stomachs. Another oddity is that their sense of smell is in their feet (of course, humans sometimes have feet that smell).

8-)
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Fozzer » Tue May 08, 2018 9:36 am

When it comes to Seafood...

My favourite is good-old Battered Cod Fish...with Chips and Peas.

A welcome sight at any seaside restaurant!

I have never been brave enough to master the art of cooking raw seafood; Crabs, Mussels, etc.... :roll: ...!

("Winkles" from the local Seaside, (which Mum used to boil), was one of my Dad's favourites...together with Eels from our local River Wye)

Any form of raw fish is very expensive to purchase in our shops, and unless it is cooked correctly and sufficiently can result in serious consequences!

So unless it is of the prepared, and ready-cooked variety, I tend to steer away from "Fish"...even though it is very good for me!... :( ....!

Maybe I should indulge in these War-time favourites which I remember from my past... :whistle:...

Cod Liver Oil Capsules....>>> https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide ... -liver-oil

...together with Malt Extract....(Head Lice, Rickets...and Boiled Parsnips)....!

Boil-in-the-bag Kippers, for tea, together with some crusty bread and butter, is a nice tea-time snack!...>>> https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/gr ... ss%29-220g

Another favourite of mine: Boil-in-the-bag Cod and Parsley Sauce...>>>> https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/gr ... 0wodMbYP-g

The only other activity I "Sea", is Fishing for my Front Door Keys.... ;) ...!

Paul....another fishy story.... :mrgreen: ...!
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby H » Tue May 08, 2018 9:43 am

Fozzer wrote:I must admit, after many years of enjoying Mum's Home Cooking (English style), I am not very adventurous when it comes to; "Foreign food"
After the colonial days of the 18th century, the UK became a 'foreign' country for the US and there are quite some differences. For instance, the sugar maple, from which we produce maple syrup, is native to here. We boil down about 40 gallons of sugar maple sap for one gallon of syrup; you may have numerous saps in the UK but any maple syrup is not of a native source.

Fozzer wrote:A bit of;"Indian" with lots of herbs and spices is fine, but very strange; "Chinese" cuisine containing mostly noodles and grass and various stuff, is quite beyond my comprehension, similarly "Mexican" food which is a bit of an unknown for me, and is obviously popular with folks of USA Mexican decent...
You've said that "Indian" is your "hot" spiced food. Much of the Mexican "hot" is in the form of certain 'chili peppers'. Cut back on the curry and try a little habenero pepper in your "Indian" cuisine for variety. :whistle:

Fozzer wrote:...and it has to contain Gravy!And the possibility of suffering from; "tummy upsets" is something I avoid like the Plague...
Now you talk like my dad -- except that he, who also had to have bread with the gravy, died before reaching age 56. On rare occasions I may have gravy on toast or pasta but not much; with anything else or large amounts, it does cause me stomach upsets.

Fozzer wrote:...lots of interesting stuff of strange origins.....(containing lots of unhealthy Sugar, Fats, and Salt).
Although I drank a lot (non-alcoholic beverages, those being bitter to me) to counter the salt consumption, in my 20s to early 40s was a large intake of those. Since my mid-forties, my fat and, especially, sugar intake has been greatly reduced. However, I was told to drink less because my salt level was considered too low. Because I try to keep well-hydrated to wash toxins out, I said, "What if I just add more salt to the food."

Fozzer wrote:...and not a Noodle insight!
Quite a revelation... all these culinary delights and you don't even use your noodle... :P

8-)
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Fozzer » Tue May 08, 2018 10:23 am

Homemade Gravy...

...Fozzer's style....>>>

Water from the Boiled Vegetables.
Virgin Olive Oil.
Finely Chopped Onion.
Finely Chopped Garlic.
Chicken Stock Cube.
Vegetable Stock Cube.
OXO Beef Cube.
Chopped Fresh Parsley.
Whole Green Peppercorns
Ground Black Pepper.
Herbs and Spices.
Thickened and Seasoned with; "Bisto Original Gravy Powder".

A Gravy to die for!

...trust me... ;) ...!

Paul.... :mrgreen: ...!
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Fozzer » Tue May 08, 2018 10:37 am

I do like my Supper-Time Pasta Dishes!

Egg Tagliatelle or Spaghetti.

Virgin Olive oil.
Chopped Onion.
Chopped Garlic. (I am addicted to Garlic).... ;) ....!
Chopped Tomatoes...(or Toe-may-toes as my American Chums call them).
Chopped Fresh Basil...(or Bay-zill as my American Chums call it).
Chopped Fresh Parsley...(My American Chums haven't invented an American name for it yet).

Add some ready cooked Smoked Ham or Chicken bits.

A FAB supper dish, with some crusty bread and butter....and a cool can of Budwiser!

Paul....just before Bed.... :mrgreen: ...!
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Fozzer » Tue May 08, 2018 11:44 am

..almost forgot....

...and grated Cheese!

Paul.... :D ...!
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Hawkeye07 » Tue May 08, 2018 12:46 pm

H wrote:I somewhat ponder here, Hawkeye. I'm familiar with the names rock lobster and spiny lobster referring to a larger warm-water ocean [seafood] type of crayfish. I've thought the terms crawdad(dy) and crawfish usually referred to the smaller fresh-water type of these crustaceans but the terms may well be interchangeable.
I'm more familiar with the cold-water ocean [seafood] "Maine" lobster (a larger variety with huge claws) but, I believe, most of these crustaceans have similar physique: large eyes but poor vision, kidneys in their head and teeth in their stomachs. Another oddity is that their sense of smell is in their feet (of course, humans sometimes have feet that smell).[/color]
8-)

You're right H...Crayfish, also known as crawfish, crawdads, crawldads, freshwater lobsters, mountain lobsters, mudbugs or yabbies, are fresh water crustaceans resembling small lobsters, to which they are related; taxonomically, they are members of the superfamilies Astacoidea and Parastacoidea. They breathe through feather-like gills. Some species are found in brooks and streams where there is running fresh water, while others thrive in swamps, ditches, and paddy fields. Most crayfish cannot tolerate polluted water.

"Maine Lobster" is the "gold standard" for seafood bar none. I was stationed at NAS Brunswick for a year in 1972 and I have family who live up north of Bangor. When I visited them they made sure I sampled the local (New England) delicacies. :drool: :drool:

Intel(R) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz, P55M-UD4, GeForce GTX960 8.00 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit & 64 bit on separate HDs)
Hawkeye07
Major
Major

Postby Anthindelahunt » Tue May 08, 2018 5:25 pm

Just barfed up my breakfast when I saw
those things. :snooty:

Anthin....Allergic to sea food and fish. :o
Anthindelahunt
Major
Major

Postby Hawkeye07 » Tue May 08, 2018 7:16 pm

Anthindelahunt wrote:Just barfed up my breakfast when I saw
those things. :snooty:

Anthin....Allergic to sea food and fish. :o

You are truly cursed old boy! :pray:

Hawkeye07
Major
Major

Postby Anthindelahunt » Tue May 08, 2018 10:06 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You could possibly be right Hawkeye. :mrgreen:
They look like aquatic scorpions. :shock:

Anthin. :shifty:
Anthindelahunt
Major
Major