Postby B0ikat » Sat May 05, 2018 2:34 pm

Good eats, Louisiana style...

Mudbugs with taters and corn, yum!
B0ikat
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Re: Of possible intrest to Fozzer...

Postby Flacke » Sat May 05, 2018 5:44 pm

That is of definite interest to me too, enjoy!
Flacke
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby B0ikat » Sat May 05, 2018 9:41 pm

I sure did! Two plates of crawfish and another of BBQ'd sausage, potato salad, slaw and hushpuppies. It made for a nicely lethargic afternoon. :)
B0ikat
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Flacke » Sun May 06, 2018 12:42 am

Thats great, I wish we could have joined you for that little feast as its just the kind of special treat that we enjoy. My Wife Daisy and I keep on the lookout for meals like that whenever we travel [BBQ too].
Can't wait for Fozzer to see this.
Flacke
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby 511Flyer » Sun May 06, 2018 3:34 am

That looks disgusting!

:naughty:
511Flyer
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Sinkrate » Sun May 06, 2018 4:37 am

I'll take the veg...you can keep the insects! :snooty:
Sinkrate
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Fozzer » Sun May 06, 2018 8:37 am

Ta, Boi.... :D ...!

Roast Beef and Yorkshire Pudding, with loads of different Vegetables, Mashed and Roast Potatoes, and lashings of Onion + Herbs and Spices Gravy for me!

All served on a hot, English China plate, with a proper bone-handled Knife and Fork! (Fork in the left hand, Knife in the right hand...and the meal is eaten with the left hand, not shovelled in with the right hand!).

...A checkered Table-cloth...Salt and Pepper Grinders + Condiments....and not a Mobile Phone in sight!

A proper "English Dinner", just like my dear old Mum used to make in the Olden Days....

...and I still carry on in the typical English Tradition!

...with a cool glass of English Ale to wash it down!

I love (my) Home Cooking!

Paul.... :dance: ....!

..It seems as though the early North American Settlers abandoned their British Style of Cooking, and adopted the Mexican Styles instead!.... :think: ....!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby B0ikat » Sun May 06, 2018 9:40 am

Think of them as tiny lobsters. Don't knock 'em 'til you've tried 'em!;)

A picnic is no place for fine china and elegant flatware! Disposable plates, plastic cutlery, and rolls and rolls of paper towels! :D

This coming week I'm off to the wilds of central Missouri to hunt the elusive morel mushroom!
B0ikat
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby H » Sun May 06, 2018 12:38 pm

Fozzer wrote:Roast Beef and Yorkshire Pudding, with loads of different Vegetables, Mashed and Roast Potatoes, and lashings of Onion + Herbs and Spices Gravy for me! All served on a hot, English China plate, with a proper bone-handled Knife and Fork! (Fork in the left hand, Knife in the right hand...and the meal is eaten with the left hand, not shovelled in with the right hand!).
Aside from vegetarians and animal activists having a bone to pick with your utensils, from where is your "English 'China'" plate? We sometimes use China plates over here... made in China (as BOIkat says, they're not common for outdoor use).
As to which hand holds which somewhat depends upon the household as well as the individual. My maternal grandfather's ancestry was Scottish but my mother said his eating technique was unique: he forked the peas onto his knife and transferred them into his mouth from there; I've met a few others who held the meat still with their fork but, after cutting a piece off with their knife, stabbed the piece with the knife and put it into their mouth from the knife (a couple of them retorted something about what we could do with [our] etiquette).

Fozzer wrote:It seems as though the early North American Settlers abandoned their British Style of Cooking, and adopted the Mexican Styles instead!
Original Native Mexican Styles may not incorporate utensils which, my dear fellow, was an original Anglo-Saxon English method. Also, just like you speed your vehicle down the left side of the road, we travel down the right side -- the left seems quite sinister.
:whistle:
:D

8-)
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Fozzer » Sun May 06, 2018 2:09 pm

I cannot remember that last time I had, and paid for, a meal in a restaurant, having got so used to preparing and cooking my lovely meals every day of the week!

I constantly compare the price of a Restaurant meal, with what it costs me to cook my own meals, with the result that myself and others are slowly running restaurants, etc, out of business and closing down, as is already happening, according to the latest news! ...(Jamie Oliver).

It's nice to be treated to a meal now and again, (very rare!), but I still enjoy my own home cooking; prepared and cooked to my perfection....

...I'm also a bit of a tight-ar*e when it comes to spending money on someone else's cooking...!.... :lol: ...!

English China Clay for my fine dining porcelain ...>>> https://www.cornwalls.co.uk/history/ind ... a_clay.htm

..@H...I wonder how many of the New England, Virginia, etc, immigrant folks still enjoy fine Old English Cooking?.... :D ....!

The only "foreign-style" food I consume, is my home-made, super-hot, Indian Curries (with rice), for late evening meals (before bed).

Mid-day Dinner is always good-old British stuff!.... :lol: ....!

Paul.... :mrgreen: ...!

Today: (Sunday) involved a motorcycle ride to meet up with some Biker Chums at Abergavenny, in the Car park Café...

...I took my own pre-pared ham sandwiches and fizzy drink...and left them spending money!!.... :lol: ...!

Cooked my own Sunday Dinner when I got back home!

...told ya, I was tight!.... :lol: ... :lol: ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby yancovitch » Mon May 07, 2018 12:42 am

you live alone fozzer?...........
yancovitch
Major
Major

Location: born montreal, lived vancouver, now live in burns lake bc.

Postby Fozzer » Mon May 07, 2018 1:54 am

yancovitch wrote:you live alone fozzer?...........

The only way to be truly happy, Yan!.... :dance: ...!

Everything is the way I want it!.... :lol: ....!

Paul... :D ....!
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby H » Mon May 07, 2018 2:02 am

Fozzer wrote:I cannot remember that last time I had, and paid for, a meal in a restaurant
I did so a few times after returning to NH in the latter 1990s. On a rare occasion, when working as night manager at a motel @ 1½ miles from here (during the time I 1st visited this forum), I ordered something from the attached restaurant. That was @ a decade ago and more. Most of my youth was on a small New England farm and I was bused to and from school; except on trips for special events, sometimes after watching a show at bygone outdoor theaters, food was served at home.

Fozzer wrote:English China Clay for my fine dining porcelain ...>>> http://www.cornwalls.co.uk
Thanks for the link -- something I didn't know about. Mom had some dishware from England but I've forgotten the name... believe it started with the letter B.

Fozzer wrote:..@H...I wonder how many of the New England, Virginia, etc, immigrant folks still enjoy fine Old English Cooking?
Here you must realize something: unless they're recent immigrants from England, the accent is different, although some New Englanders' enunciate similarly. However, although well comprehensible, a Virginian's diction is not so similar (at least not those I've met). Since North America was not England, English colonists/ immigrants had to adapt to the environment. Even before the American Revolution (Rebellion on your historical charts), came the effects of other ethnic groups. My Anglo-Saxon ancestors jumped the wall into Scotland after the Normans took over England; they joined with clan Donald but we have our own sept Hudson tartan. My Mom's clan wasn't always on good terms with clan Donald (some formerly Donald islands were bequeathed them) but were Scotsmen, nevertheless, before they ever migrated across the Atlantic. Many Hessian, Brunswickan and other Germans in the British ranks remained after the Revolution, adding to those already here. New York was originally New Amsterdam -- and the Dutch colonists weren't all forced to evacuate. So -- the influence of the non-English and the limited native English supplies and wares caused culinary changes, as well (thus 'English' muffins -- but American English Colonial muffins would be a mouthful).

8-)
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby 511Flyer » Mon May 07, 2018 3:15 am

A mouthful of Muffins? Now you're talking!

:roll:
511Flyer
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Fozzer » Mon May 07, 2018 3:19 am

Ta, @H....

I love all these "ancestry" discussions we have!

Many of my Youtube motorcycle chums living the NE Atlantic seaboard and have; "British (England, Scotland, and Wales) and Irish" accents that I instantly recognise every time they relax and let their guard down...or do it intentionally!...LOL...!

Lots of Irish and Scottish Folks, as well as Scandinavians!

A very mixed bag...and all of them wonderful Folk, and lots of fun!

One trait I always notice, they are all a happy-go-lucky crowd, full of fun and laughter, as opposed to my local British Folk, who are all much too; "serious"!

A fascinating place often frequented by my Motorcycle Chums on their many tours, (the Blue Ridge Mountains, etc): Appalachia! A fascinating place and history!...>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appalachian_Mountains

I spend many hours touring the USA with Flight Sims, Youtube, and Google Street Maps, all for the price of a few pennies on the Internet!

A way to tour the World!

Paul....Have Intel Core i7...will travel... :lol: .... :lol: ...!
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Next

Return to General Discussion