Sometimes Information Is Fishy.

If it doesn't fit .. It fits here .. - -

Sometimes Information Is Fishy.

Postby H » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:05 am

It's true that the term 'hornpout' is used by New Hampshirites (yes, we're New Hampshirites -- there's no such thing as a New Hampshirong). However, the informant on the internet made the statement, "If you're going out on the river fishing for this particular sea creature, you're going hornpouting."
First of all, We do have about 23 miles of coastline on the Atlantic Ocean which we will also call 'the sea'. We also have rivers, brooks, ponds and lakes; none of these are the sea, although it's possible to occasion a creature coming from the sea into them (salmon made a habit of it). Nevertheless, creatures native to the streams, ponds and lakes are not deemed 'sea' creatures.
Secondly, the term hornpout is, at least originally, applied to our small variety of fresh-water catfish. None of our ponds and lakes are likened to the Dead Sea, nor any sea, so the streams feeding or draining from them are not salt-water.
Thirdly, hornpout are bottom-dwellers that don't appreciate the cooler waters of our faster moving, rocky-bedded streams. If you're going out on the river, it's not for hornpout; try casting your line into a fish pond around sunset for better results. Also be careful removing a hornpout from your line -- their horns (or stingers) can really puncture.

8-)
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Sometimes Information Is Fishy.

Postby boromir125 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:49 pm

Here in Vermont, they're called Bullpout. Same thing, different name.
boromir125
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby H » Tue May 01, 2018 3:35 am

boromir125 wrote:Here in Vermont, they're called Bullpout. Same thing, different name.
I was born in Claremont, NH, home of WTSV "Heart of the Twin State Valley" (i.e. NH&VT) radio station. I hadn't heard 'bullpout' on my side of the Connecticut but they were sometimes called 'bullheads'.
In any case, they aren't sea creatures...
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Fozzer » Tue May 01, 2018 4:32 am

One of the many joys of living in; "New England"....

...as opposed my; "Old England" where it rains...constantly...

...and Fish fall out of the sky....

...trust me!.... ;) ....!

Paul.... :lol: ... :lol: ... :lol: ....!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby H » Thu May 03, 2018 10:41 am

Fozzer wrote:"Old England" where it rains... constantly... and Fish fall out of the sky... trust me!
Trusting you is sometimes quite difficult. As appropriate to the title of this post topic as it is, your information seems very fishy. It would also indicate that your 'fly fishing' has a different cast than over here.

8-)
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Fozzer » Thu May 03, 2018 11:28 am

H wrote:
Fozzer wrote:"Old England" where it rains... constantly... and Fish fall out of the sky... trust me!
Trusting you is sometimes quite difficult. As appropriate to the title of this post topic as it is, your information seems very fishy. It would also indicate that your 'fly fishing' has a different cast than over here.

8-)

"Fly Fishing", over here, often involves the attempt to locate the small tag on the Zip Fastener on the front of our trousers containing the "Fly-hole" which gives access to the watering device.

Any other reference to "Fish" is a load of old Cod's-wallop.....trust me!... :o ....!

Paul.... ;) ... :lol: ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby H » Fri May 04, 2018 6:46 am

Fozzer wrote:"Fly Fishing", over here, often involves the attempt to locate the small tag on the Zip Fastener on the front of our trousers containing the "Fly-hole" which gives access to the watering device.
Any other reference to "Fish" is a load of old Cod's-wallop.....trust me!
Oh, my... it certainly is a different cast. Once you get that pole out... whatever may remain of it... even getting a bite by a cod would definitely be a wallop!
:shock:
:oops:

8-)
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Return to General Discussion