If it doesn't fit .. It fits here .. - -

Someone asked the other day,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Postby Tug002 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:06 am

Someone asked the other day,,,,,,,,,,,,,

'What was your favorite fast food when you were growing up?'
'We didn't have fast food when I was growing up,

I informed him, 'All the food was slow.'

'C'mon, seriously. Where did you eat?'
'It was a place called 'at home,' I explained!

'Mom cooked every day and when Dad got home from work, we sat down together at the dining room table, & if I didn't like what she put on my plate, I was allowed to sit there until I did like it.'

By this time, the kid was laughing so hard I was afraid he was going to suffer serious internal damage, so I didn't tell him the part about how I had to have permission to leave the table.

Here are some other things I would have told him about my childhood, if I figured his system could have handled it:

Some parents NEVER owned their own house, wore Levis, set foot on a golf course, traveled out of the country or had a credit card.

My parents never drove me to school. I had a bicycle that weighed probably 50 pounds, and only had one speed, (slow).
We didn't have a television in our house until I was 10. It was, of course, black and white, and the station went off the air at 11, after playing the national anthem and a poem about God. It came back on the air at about 6 a.m. And there was usually a locally produced news and farm show on, featuring local people ...

I never had a telephone in my room. Our only phone was on a party line. Before you could dial, you had to listen and make sure some people you didn't know weren't already using the line.

Pizzas were not delivered to our home... But milk was & so was bread.

All newspapers were delivered by boys and all boys delivered newspapers --my brother delivered a newspaper, six days a week. He had to get up at 5 AM every morning .

Movie stars kissed with their mouths shut. At least, they did in the movies! There were no movie ratings because all movies were responsibly produced for everyone to enjoy viewing, without profanity or violence or most anything offensive.

If you grew up in a generation before there was fast food, you may want to share some of these memories with your children or grandchildren. Don't blame me if they bust their gut laughing.

Growing up isn't what it used to be, is it?

MEMORIES:
My Dad is cleaning out my grandmother's house (she died in December) and he brought me an old Royal Crown Cola bottle. In the bottle top was a stopper with a bunch of holes in it. I knew immediately what it was, but my daughter had no idea. She thought they had tried to make it a salt shaker or something. I knew it as the bottle that sat on the end of the ironing board to 'sprinkle' clothes with because we didn't have steam irons. Man, I am old.

How many do you remember?

Head lights dimmer switches on the floor.
Ignition switches on the dashboard.
Pant leg clips for bicycles without chain guards .
Soldering irons you heat on a gas burner.
Using hand signals for cars without turn signals.

Older Than Dirt Quiz :
Count all the ones that you remember , NOT the ones you were told about !
Ratings at the bottom.

1. Candy cigarettes
2. Coffee shops with table side juke boxes
3. Home milk delivery in glass bottles
4. Party lines on the telephones
5. Newsreels before the movie
6. TV test patterns that came on at night after the last show and were there until TV shows started again in the morning. (Only 3 channels! If you had a TV!)
7. Pea-shooters
8. Howdy Doody
9. 45 RPM records
10. 78 rpm records
11. Hi-fi records 33 1/3 rpm
12. Metal ice trays with lever
13. Blue flashbulb
14. Cork popguns
15. Studebaker's
16. Wash tub wringers

If you remembered 0-3 = You're still young
If you remembered 3-6 = You are getting older
If you remembered 7-10 = Don't tell your age,

& If you remembered 11-16 = You're older than dirt! THAT'S ME!
I might be older than dirt but those memories are some of the best parts of my life.

Keep smiling
Tug :)
Tug002
Captain
Captain

Re: Someone asked the other day,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Postby Fozzer » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:44 am

Wonderful stuff, Tug.... :dance: ....!

Brings back familiar memories!

My Mum and Dad never owned a Motorcar or a Telephone for the whole of their lives.
Dad got himself and me a motorcycle each when he was 50 (in 1950).
(They used 'Busses and Steam Trains.....and walked a lot!).

I didn't have a telephone installed in my house until 1995 when I needed to use the "Internet" which required the copper phone line!
(Before that, Mum, Dad, and Me used Public Telephone Boxes....or the next-door neighbour who had a 'Phone).

We all had Valve Radio Sets (and televisions) before the invention of Transistors and "Chips".
(I used to have a Cat's-whisker Crystal Radio Set and headphones, with an aerial stretching the length of the back garden).

Villages had Petrol Pumps, and you were served with Petrol by an attendant....and there were lots of them about....(Petrol Pumps and Attendants).

Roads were covered in loose grit, boot studs, horseshoe nails, animal poo, grass, and potholes.

Everyone lived in Council Houses...(I still do).

Everyone spoke a County version of the Queen's English.

Sometimes the Sun came out on Tuesdays.

...and lots more stuff!...

Paul.... ;) ... ;) ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby yancovitch » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:45 pm

that was great tug....good shew......(not clouseau....ed sullivan) :D
in montreal, a large city, we had the ice for our fridge delivered too, delivered by house drawn wagon....we used to run after the wagon grabbing pieces of ice to suck on.....there was a stable a block away.....
parents gave some money each christmas to the postman, milkman,
-father was a body man using melted lead to repair cars..
-remember little parachutes in a tube from japan, which you blew into the air and they opened and glided down....oh...waxed lips :) i still remember the taste...
-heated with coal in our cooking stove
-when you walked down the street in the evening, most of the people were sitting outside their houses enjoying the evening...
-metal roller skates which we tied to our shoes.....used to get an orange crate, added two handles...attached a 3' two by four to the bottom and attached roller skates to the front and back....remember the clicking on the sidewalk.....
-used to con a girl's younger brother to pull us on skates while we held hands and sang now is the hour for me to say goodby, while holding hands....my first romance i guess....
-oh yes, and a piece of cardboard attached to the forks of the bike with a clothespin to sound like an engine
-going for a picnic in mount royal park, where the grass everywhere was so high and you put your blanked down and had to flatten it...smelled so nice...
-and those fantastic dangerous lacross balls, i think they were called, that were heavy and bounced higher than the distance you dropped them.....super balls....
hmmmmm.......think i'm empty.............gonna go now and clean our chimney.......
yancovitch
Major
Major

Location: born montreal, lived vancouver, now live in burns lake bc.

Postby yancovitch » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:28 pm

ach.....one thing that i'll never forget, is when orange crush soft drink, with their brown rippled cylindrical bottle, which was the most wonderful orange drink ever, cheapened their product, which to me was awful, and i never drank it again....
yancovitch
Major
Major

Postby Flying Trucker » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:25 pm

Oh my Gosh...I am older than Dirt... :lol:

-Fargo half ton trucks with signal lights on top of cab
-Hudson Terraplane cars
-Magnetos in cars, aircraft and boats
-Split car windshilds and wiper blades that were just under the outside sun visor
-Sound of the wind in the wires of a DeHavilland Tiger Moth
-Spins and Stalls in the Moth
-Steam Engines on the farm for thrashing
-All the neighbours sitting around the lunch table who were there helping with the crops
-Teams of horses pulling hay, straw, corn and apple wagons
-Walking to school several miles in blowing snow...there were no cancellations back then...you went or you stayed home and shoveled shit
-Doing chores...there was no allowance from mom or dad...you did them
-Christmas Carols and the smell of the burning wood fireplace
-Steam Radiators for heating
-Triangle Runways...Grass Runways...Flying Boats and ships still using sails on the Great Lakes and Bays

I will stop now but yes they certainly bring back memories... :clap:
Cheers...Happy Landings...Doug
Flying Trucker
Colonel
Colonel

Postby 511Flyer » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:59 pm

My Mum, God bless her, suffered from dementia in her 80's and couldn't remember anything for more than a few minutes. However, if we took her for a drive around the village where she grew up, Send, in Surrey, UK, she could remember her childhood vividly. Where she lived, her parents, brothers and sisters, neighbours, where she played, who she played with, her schooldays, including names of all the teachers. They had very little, and worked hard to get it. No modern appliances to do the laundry, just a scrubbing board and a hand turned wringer. No home entertainment except for an old unreliable radio. It was powered by an accumulator which had to be recharged at the local garage. They played safely in the street and the local fields, went swimming in the river, and although they got up to mischief, they were never in any real trouble. God forbid if father heard them being cheeky to their elders, or their mother, because parents were allowed to chastise children back then. Discipline in the home, in school, and in the forces for the boys, produced a more law abiding society than nowadays.

Life for me as a youngster, was very much the same. Rationing during and after WW11 was a big problem, but we managed somehow. Dad was away in the army, and Mum, like lots of other Mums, didn't know where he was, or when she would see him again. If ever! He came back after war ended, got on with his life, and never ever spoke about it.

Youngsters of today have all the modern gadgets, have more money, better food, good clothes, and more leisure time. But, they have to cope with temptation in the form of drugs, alcohol, sex, crime, single parents, unfaithful partners, and a host of other things. So are they better off than we were? No way!!

I have three children of my own, two girls and a boy. They are in their 50's now, and I love them all dearly. They have given us eight grandchildren who we also love dearly. They have grown into very nice adults who have been a credit to their parents. Angels? Of course not!! Troublesome? Sometimes!! Just products of their generation.

I'm in my 80th year, and have lived through difficult and good times, but am happy with the way my life has turned out. Would I like to be growing up in this day and age? Not on you Nellie!!

Den.
511Flyer
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Jetranger » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:26 pm

AND ALSO

We had 77 Sunset Strip in Black & White !!! :D

LINK : 77 Sunset Strip : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrrcSieqMH8

Boys were happy to wear Penny Loafers with the hem' of their jeans rolled up pants legs

older men wore Pants Suspenders with their suits ties

people actually wore watches on their wrists too, NOT Cell phones on their hip !!!

Headlights were cheap to replace, NOT several hundred dollars !

Cars trucks actually had REAL Steel / Metal CHROME Bumpers , NOT this cheap plastic Crap their selling every now

An AIRBAG was your Teacher or some ol' coot neighbor, who'd yell at you for riding your bike across her lawn :D

There was such a thing as SPARK PLUGS ,, NOT Injectors

Here is a VIDEO of what it was like, watch closely pay attention, YOU will be graded after the video to see what you learned :roll:

How things used to be : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vqz1zHeB3No

Checker of the Year at the grocery store : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=objegPOOsf8
Jetranger
Major
Major

Postby Anthindelahunt » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:19 pm

Yep.I am older than dirt. Fond memories
of those times. We were self financed. Collecting
pop bottles from the ditches and cashing them in.

Saturday afternoon at the movies. Skating on a saturday night.
Asking girls to skate with you holding hands. :dance:

Asking a girl you liked, if you could carry her books home from school. :mrgreen:

Hockey night in Canada,with Foster and Bill Hewitt. :clap:

Anthin. :shifty:
Anthindelahunt
Major
Major

Postby Apex » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:23 am

Having a gas station attendant fill your tank AND clean your windshield.
Apex
Major
Major

Postby 511Flyer » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:40 am

I can remember when sex was safe, and flying was dangerous.

:o
511Flyer
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Tug002 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:02 am

511Flyer wrote:I can remember when sex was safe, and flying was dangerous.

:o

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Keep smiling
Tug :)
Tug002
Captain
Captain

Postby Apex » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:41 pm

In July 1970 I took a plane from Miami to Atlanta to visit a friend. My father picked me up at work, Univ of Miami, not too far from KMIA, at 5pm on a Friday. At 6pm, one hour later, I was on the plane in my seat. I remember the timing well because I couldn't get off work earlier, and the plane was due to take off a bit after 6.

The times, they sure have a-changed.
Apex
Major
Major

Postby napamule » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:21 pm

I am almost older than dirt. Where I grew up in southern Texas there were these 'Ice Houses' (convenience stores) that put a TV out back, and wooden benches to sit on, and sported the weekly Boxing Night. This was around 7 pm. Dad would buy a beer and we (my brother and I) got chips and a soda. Mom did not like going. There were young girls to flirt with and guys you did not know that got insulted when you rubbed your nose with your middle finger (ha!). Fight!!! Lasted 10 seconds and they broke it up. Ah, those were the good times. The other 'treat' was going to the Drive-In movies. You drove into a parking spot and pulled the speakers into the car so you could hear the sound. Some people actually drove off with the speakers still inside the car and ripped the wires right off. There WAS an anouncement when the movie was over on screen: 'DON'T FORGET YOUR SPEAKERS!'. (Get it?) One of my favorite jokes!
Chuck B
Napamule
napamule
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby yancovitch » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:12 am

i remember the drive in movies........took a long time to get out at the end............can't imagine the size of the parking lot and the screen if it were to happen today..... :D
yancovitch
Major
Major

Postby yancovitch » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:37 am

oh.............and i remember there actually used to be instrumental hits on the radio, which were really nice.....and songs like ....''i don't want her you can have her, she's to fat for me'' :D .............i think that instrumentals today are taboo....guess most young people don't consider them music........anyways, most of the songs i hear today in stores etc sound like cats in heat........no more gentleness, no more grace, no more 3/4 tempos.....no more elegance, and very little joy...........
yancovitch
Major
Major

Next

Return to General Discussion