How I salvaged my Saitek yoke

Graphics Cards, Sound Cards, Joysticks, Computers, etc. Ask or advise here!

Re: How I salvaged my Saitek yoke

Postby Sprocket » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:17 am

Fozzer wrote:..and your daft mistake is there for ever and ever, for everyone to see.....and laugh over....into infinity...and beyond!.... ...!

HA HA HA! :lol:

Tell you what, I won't fold in the face of adversity ! I will find a way.
Wait, I have a solution already :dance: !!

I will laugh WITH you all. :lol: Actually, I have started already...

Thanks.... that is one cool answer... :D
Sprocket
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby grblaze » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:00 am

can you tell me what model game pad you used to salvaged your Saitek yoke you can email me grblaze@metrocast.net
grblaze
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Sprocket » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:20 pm

grblaze wrote:can you tell me what model game pad you used to salvaged your Saitek yoke you can email me grblaze@metrocast.net

Hello friend.. The game controller I used is not of any specific make or model, probably a generic. (No brand name). You can basically use any USB games controller that has:
Two analogue (x/y) thumb buttons, and then the correct number of switch inputs. They are pretty much standard.
Be careful here, because some controllers do not have "analogue" thumb buttons, but instead have "switch" type thumb buttons. These are no good for this fix.

On the side, things have moved on since, and it may be easier, or better, to look into the use of an "Arduino" board.
Now, the person that may be able to steer you in the right direction here is Old Airmail. Got a nice setup and utilises the Arduino.

(Hope you don't mind Old Airmail. :pray: )

Jan
Sprocket
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby New Light » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:11 pm

You might think about making this modification to your yoke while you have it apart also. It has worked wonders for my skills!

Roger Dodger Aviation - Rubber Band Mod
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0xNAd73BHo

Best wishes!

Dave
New Light
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Wagnard » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:17 pm

Hi,
I wanted to know if someone have a wiring diagram or simpling a screenshot of the 10 pins socket of the display of the yoke.
Reason: found a used Saitek pro flight yoke but the display was not working, I opened it up and I saw the the 10 pin socket was "destroyed" and all wire was laying around.

Thanks for the help.
Wagnard
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Roypcox » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:03 pm

Sproket; you are a very talented chap. Thanks for the vids and instructions.You have a lot of patients and talent to pull that off! Roy
Roypcox
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Wagnard » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:56 pm

Wagnard wrote:Hi,
I wanted to know if someone have a wiring diagram or simpling a screenshot of the 10 pins socket of the display of the yoke.
Reason: found a used Saitek pro flight yoke but the display was not working, I opened it up and I saw the the 10 pin socket was "destroyed" and all wire was laying around.

Thanks for the help.

I managed to found the answer. The pins wires colors are the same as the other 10 pins inside that part of the yoke.
Wagnard
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Sprocket » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:28 am

Roypcox wrote:Sproket; you are a very talented chap. Thanks for the vids and instructions.You have a lot of patients and talent to pull that off! Roy

Thank you Roy for the kind words. Much appreciated.

Jan
Sprocket
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby grblaze » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:02 pm

I just installed a usb control board in my Saitek pro yoke and want to install the counter and reset bottom were do extra wires go to
grblaze
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Wilkins » Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:10 pm

Is it difficult to find these electronic components? Looks like some older accessories.
Wilkins
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Sprocket » Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:53 am

Wilkins wrote:Is it difficult to find these electronic components? Looks like some older accessories.

Valid question..Time has moved, and most these controllers today are blue-tooth wireless and won't work as an easy option.

But there are other ways, depending on one's electronic expertise, and how much money you want to throw at it.

1: Use, or cannibilise, a "normal" standard joy stick, as long as it is USB cabled. The principal is the same.

2: Go "professional" and use a custom made board, available on line:

A very good example here: http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php ... d2b905e948

In the end, remember that the yoke, from a mechanical perspective, is no more than a joy stick. With that in mind, and with the "wire mapping" as per my original posting, it should not be too difficult.

(Also there is no way to get the Saitek counter working again. Remember too, that you loose the "Saitek" profiles and settings etc.)

Hope this helps.
Jan
Sprocket
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Previous

Return to Hardware