Northwest Arkansas Experience by JackRiordan

FSSC, Airport 2.*, CfgEdit, etc. Get to grips with designing Scenery & Panels here!

Northwest Arkansas Experience by JackRiordan

Postby TruNorthSim » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:50 pm

Hello everyone!

I introduced myself on another thread, but I wanted to start a new one to keep the community updated with a current ongoing project that I am calling the Northwest Arkansas Experience. My name is Jack, I currently reside in Northwest Arkansas, and after getting into flight simulation a little over 2 years ago, I realized that this area receives little attention when it comes to add-on scenery. I spent a lot of time researching and learning how to create scenery, so I feel that I can finally tackle this kind of project. I want to share it with the community, and I do understand that this area may not interest most of you.

The list of 14 airports that I will redux are as follows...

1AR5 Cherokee Strip
2AR5 Ashmore Field
5M5 Crystal Lake
6AR1 Elder Strip
38AR Williams Field
40AR Lost Bridge Village
67AR Wedington Wood
AR09 Bella Vista Field
AR91 Circle S Farms
KASG Springdale Mun
KFYV Drake Field
KROG Rogers Executive
KSLG Smith Field
KVBT Bentonville Mun Thaden

Regardless, I hope you enjoy the pictures, and eventually the full release, which I am planning on being sometime around fall of next year. There is a lot of work to be done to give these airports the attention I think they deserve. Some of them won't be around next year, such as Ashmore Field Airport, which will most likely be turned into a subdivision soon.

The first goal is to extract all the satellite imagery that I will need for this project, which has already been done. Second goal is to remove all of the default airport assets, move the airports to the desired LAT/LONG, and update all the airport information. Third goal is to create blendmasks and watermasks for all satellite imagery and color match all seasons to match Orbx Global. Fourth goal is to create, texture, and add all new 3D assets and trees to scenery. Fifth goal is to further test the scenery in FSX and P3D to ensure compatibility and take care of any issues that may arise. Final goal is to create the installation .pdf and upload to Simviation.com.

If you are a confident graphic design artist, effects modeler, or 3D modeler, and are interested in getting involved in this project, please contact me at fsxf.server@yahoo.com or add me on Steam, ID JackRiordan. However, note that this entire project will be offered to the community as freeware upon it's completion.

BTW, if any of you are wondering what happened to my KXNA Northwest Arkansas Regional Airport or 40AR Lost Bridge Village scenery, I had an issue with some corrupt files after migrating everything to a new SSD. I'm still working on salvaging what I have, but at this time I'm confident that I can save most of the files. As for backups, the external I used for my backups went bad as well, so it seems I won the lottery :dance:
Last edited by TruNorthSim on Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TruNorthSim
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Northwest Arkansas Experience by JackRiordan

Postby TruNorthSim » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:02 pm

1AR5 Cherokee Strip is a small grass runway, located west of Gentry, Arkansas, in Cherokee City. Cherokee City is a unincorporated census-designated place in Benton County. According to the 2010 census, it's population was 72. Runways are 18/36. Runway dimensions are 2500 x 80 ft. / 762 x 24 m.

1AR5 Cherokee Strip before summer photoreal...

1AR5 Cherokee Strip after summer photoreal...

TruNorthSim
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby TruNorthSim » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:15 pm

2AR5 Ashmore Field is located just north of Centerton, Arkansas. According to the 2010 Census, the population of Centerton was 9,515. On March 12, 2006, A tornado destroyed 40 homes, damaged 150, and injured 12 people. Ashmore Field has a grass runway. Runways are 7/25. Dimensions are 1100 x 50 ft. / 335 x 15 m.

2AR5 Ashmore Field before summer photoreal scenery...

2AR5 Ashmore Field after photoreal scenery...

TruNorthSim
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby TruNorthSim » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:04 pm

5M5 Crystal Lake Airport is a privately owned, public use airport located two nautical miles (4 km) northeast of the central business district of Decatur, a city in Benton County, Arkansas, United States. It has an asphalt runway in fair condition. Runways are 13/31. Runway dimensions are 3863 x 75 ft. / 1177 x 23 m.

5M5 Crystal Lake Airport before summer photoreal scenery...

5M5 Crystal Lake Airport after summer photoreal scenery...

TruNorthSim
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby TruNorthSim » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:17 pm

KVBT Bentonville Municipal Thaden is a city-owned, public-use airport located two nautical miles (3.7 km) south of the central business district of Bentonville, a city in Benton County, Arkansas, United States. It is also known as Louise M. Thaden Field or Louise Thaden Field, a name it was given in 1951 to honor Louise McPhetridge Thaden (1905–1979), an aviation pioneer from Bentonville.[2]

This airport is included in the FAA's National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems for 2009–2013, which categorizes it as a general aviation facility. Although most U.S. airports use the same three-letter location identifier for the FAA and IATA, this airport is assigned VBT by the FAA but has no designation from the IATA.

KVBT Bentonville Mun has two runways, one asphalt, and the other is grass. Asphalt runways are 18/36. Asphalt runway dimensions are 4426 x 65 ft. / 1349 x 20 m

KVBT Bentonville Mun before summer photoreal...

KVBT Bentonville Mun after summer photoreal...

TruNorthSim
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby garymbuska » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:27 am

Looking good so far I am always looking for improved scenery no matter where it is at but do limit it to the US so far as I do not do much international flying.
I am currently using the boxed version of FSX GOLD and have the steam version as well and would be more than happy to look and test any scenery you might create
8-)
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
CH Rudder Peddles 27 inch Wide screen Monitor
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby TruNorthSim » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:52 pm

garymbuska wrote:Looking good so far I am always looking for improved scenery no matter where it is at but do limit it to the US so far as I do not do much international flying.
I am currently using the boxed version of FSX GOLD and have the steam version as well and would be more than happy to look and test any scenery you might create
8-)

Thank you for the interest!

I would like to focus my attention on the airports here at home that do not or will not, in the foreseeable future, receive attention from other developers.

Any assistance with this project from the community is appreciated. Once I have the summer photoreal scenery of all of the airports ready, I will be willing to send the .zip anyone willing to test them. Note that this scenery is color matched to Orbx, so I'm not sure how it's going to look without.
TruNorthSim
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby TruNorthSim » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:46 pm

6AR1 Elder Airstrip is a small, private airport located west of Lowell, Arkansas. Lowell is a city in Benton County, Arkansas, in the United States. Located within the Ozarks, first settlement was along Old Wire Road in the 1840s, and although destroyed during the Civil War, the community was reestablished by J. H. McClure and thrived when the St. Louis–San Francisco Railway came through the area in the 1880s. Today, the city is a growing bedroom community within the rapidly growing Northwest Arkansas region. Lowell is also home to the headquarters of trucking company J.B. Hunt. Lowell's population was 7,327 at the 2010 census, an increase of 46% since 2000.

6AR1 has one grass runway. Runways are 12/30. Runway dimensions are 1200 x 100 ft. / 366 x 30 m.

Before summer photoreal scenery...

After summer photoreal scenery...

TruNorthSim
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby TruNorthSim » Thu May 10, 2018 2:29 am

If you're interested in these and future projects, please visit...

https://www.uscentralairlines.com/blackmillscenery

...thank you.
TruNorthSim
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Jetranger » Thu May 10, 2018 3:40 pm

MO34 - Southern Missouri - Table Rock Lake Airpark

Have fun landing on that short strip by the lake !!

My fathers old play ground before he passed

Jetranger
Major
Major

Postby TruNorthSim » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:56 am

Sorry to hear of your father's passing. My mother just passed away from an aggressive cancer. Losing a parent is a life changer.

It looks like MO32 is Table Rock Lake Airport and MO34 is Ellington Field. Which one was it that you were suggesting?

When I get back from military duty this weekend, I will look it up. It shouldn't be too much of a task to pull the satellite imagery, clean it up, and color match it to Orbx spring colors as a start. Once I get it done, I can send it over to you to test out.

I'll also post pictures of it on my website, https://www.uscentralairlines.com/blackmillscenery . I'm still sorting through some old files and updating them for P3Dv4 before I post them on my website, so this is the reason you may not see some of the airports listed above. Also, since I recently started a small business creating add-on scenery, I won't be able to offer them for free. However, demos will be available. I will also offer a large discounts to people who suggest an airport and are able to provide pictures throughout the creation process.

That's a good looking bird btw 8-)
TruNorthSim
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby TruNorthSim » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:14 am

On a further note I managed to salvage the KXNA Terminal Files :shock: , but the photoreal will have to be recreated :doh: .
TruNorthSim
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby TruNorthSim » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:26 am

Hello everyone!

The website has recently changed to...

https://www.uscentralairlines.com/black-mill-scenery

I update it often, so please check back if you're interested in any of our add-on scenery. Don't forget to register on our main (uscentralairlines.com) forum if you would like to discuss anything specific to the scenery being created, make suggestions, add comments, or request a scenery to be created.

Also, there will be some freeware scenery in the future. However, we'll be working on finishing some airport projects first.

We're currently looking for people that are good at 3D modeling, graphic design, and scenery design. If you're interested, contact me.
TruNorthSim
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to Scenery & Panel Design