The Eclipse

If it doesn't fit .. It fits here .. - -

The Eclipse

Postby Apex » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:18 am

Today's the day. Thousands are traffic jamming trying to get to a good look-see spot. It's the first day of school, there'll be plenty of local traffic jams to go around for those who can't make it to the Eclipse zone.

Here in Miami we might get about a 78%er going. We're between two tropical systems, the cloud cover has cleared enough and might stay that way until tomorrow. I don't have any seeing glasses, but I guess it'll get a bit darker out there. Or I can just wait until sunset and pretend.
Apex
Major
Major

Re: The Eclipse

Postby B0ikat » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:50 am

I tripped about 590 miles from Looooeeezeeanner to my aunts house north of Rolla, Missouri. We're not dead center of the path of totality, but close enough to get about 2 minutes of total eclipse....If the weather cooperates. for now it looks fairly good, but the day is still young. One of the things I'm going to keep a look out for is the two WB-57's that are supposed to be chasing the eclipse. It may sound odd, but they are not chasing the eclipse, so much as the planet Mercury. It's a NASA thing.
B0ikat
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Apex » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:51 pm

Cool. Let us know how 'tis. It's totally clear down here, but not sure if there's really gonna be much to see. It'd be great to see the real thing all the way, I guess that would be a once in a life time thing.
Apex
Major
Major

Postby B0ikat » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:18 pm

I didn't spot the WB-57's, but at least the weather cooperated, with only a few small clouds passing by.

All in all, not too bad for using a hand held Nikon Coolpix with one half of a pair of solar viewing glasses taped to it. :)

The little fuzzy patch to the left of the eclipse in #3 is the planet Mercury.
B0ikat
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Anthindelahunt » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:01 am

Do you still have any eyeballs left. ?
Great shots.

Anthin. 8-)
Anthindelahunt
Major
Major

Postby Apex » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:10 am

Yeah, great picts there. Thanks.

I didn't have eclipse specs, so couldn't take a direct look. We were only 75% here. Inside, got a bit darker, outside pretty lit up still. But standing in direct sunlight, heat on us not as intense, overall temp a bit cooler, and much less glare. Quite nice, sort of like in mid winter.
Apex
Major
Major

Postby B0ikat » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:31 pm

Anthindelahunt wrote:Do you still have any eyeballs left. ?
Great shots.

Anthin. 8-)

Eyeballs are still intact! I'm surprised there aren't a few more folks posting pics!
B0ikat
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby B0ikat » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:15 pm

The home-made "Sun Camera".

That old geezer holding it is some hobo that wandered out of the woods, pay him no mind.... :mrgreen:
B0ikat
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Anthindelahunt » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:04 am

Great site for a house.Really like
the trees.

Anthin. :clap:
Anthindelahunt
Major
Major

Postby B0ikat » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:00 am

Yup! Deep in the heart of Missouri, Ozark country. It had been a long time since I heard Whip-Poor-Wills at night and gathered black walnuts and hickory nuts. Also did a little poking around below the house in a creek bed and found a few possible pre-Columbian artifacts, a hand axe and a possible hammer-stone (That area is pretty rich in 5000+ year old flint points and relics like that). Toss in my sister baking a batch of persimmon cookies, all in all, a nice little vacation.
B0ikat
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Sorry to bump, but...

Postby Hoorf » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:52 pm

...I seen it. The eclipse. 100% north of Boise, up in Smiths Ferry on the 55 to Cascade and McCall. I know it's late and not sure about how 'bumping' is looked upon.

Backstory: in February of 1979, Yakima got 100% but further north and a scootch to the west, in the little hamlet of Granite Falls, WA, we got about 96%. I was in 5th grade then, read up on it, read what to do and not to do for an eclipse, made my projector because glasses and other various filters were not easily found back then. Ah, the '70s...

The day arrived and it was beautiful weather that February...excepting that day. I woke up early. Rain. Nonplussed for the moment, I got up, got dressed, grabbed my gear and headed to school to get some open space. And perchance a gap in the sky. But 45 minutes later at school: no dice. Solid grey sky, it got brighter for a bit, lights all turned off...and then it started getting dark again and on came the lights once more. A couple friends came to school early, equally disappointed. It got pretty dark, too, but then the sun came back. And off to school.

It was said even then that the next total solar eclipse would not occur until 2017. 2017! Sheesh, I'll be 50 then! But then and there, I swore on all things holy that I would see a total solar eclipse. Oh, yes...I would see a total eclipse.

Serendipitously, in June of the previous year, I found myself an Idaho resident. It was then and there I looked up the eclipse probability: 99.1% in Boise! Not bad...but I made a vow, mind you, a vow which literally eclipsed those of my marriage. Lookitup...and the web said Smiths Ferry was smack in the middle of the road for the eclipse. So, after amassing copious amounts of eclipse glasses, iced tea, tripod, Samsung S4, off I went. My daughter had to go to work and son-in-law changed his mind and decided to keep the grandkids home, so...it was just me. Up before the chickens and off in "The Corporate Jet" 50 miles north, past Horseshoe Bend and up to Smiths Ferry.

What stunned me is how little traffic there was, it was a clear shot. No effort at all. But once there, it was packed. Idaho BLM roads were packed or blocked by police, but persistence paid off, and 1/4 mile south of the back-to-back city-limits signs at the gas station/cafe there, I found a spot and set up. And waited the 2 hours before the first noticeable notch in the sun, looking around at the misty river meadows, trees and other Idaho beauty marks. And talked with the others who were also here to watch history unfold.

The eclipse started, but the only noticeable thing was the notch in the sun...for awhile. As we passed 75%, everything around us took a dim appearance: it was dim but shadows were short and remarkably crisp. And there was a blue tinge to the atmosphere around us which made me feel uneasy. Nobody there had ever seen this kind of thing before, it was very surreal. Eerie. Finally, it was very noticeable to us all that the ambient temperature was dropping considerably. During it all, we were casting glances at the phase condition of the sun, until 95...96...97, 98, 99...

...and there it was. Total solar eclipse. There were a lot of people there, granted, but there were far more people in surrounding areas because the entire area erupted in cheers in a density which can only be described as a rock hall times ten: there were thousands upon thousands of people up here, and you could hear them all as the totality began. 2 minutes, 20 seconds of it. Semi trucks and cars drove through, honking, as we slapped each other on the back, clinked various bottles of various libations and the random drunk guy could be heard in the distance belting out a chesty "YEEEEAAAAHH!!!"

In the skies, there were several aircraft: small planes, a helicopter, even commercial jets flying through or circling in the 60-mile diameter shadow. Yes, even jetliners were circling. We all marveled over it all, amazed. We made it. And 38-1/2 years later, so did I.

The Samsung S4 was doing okay filming and taking pics it all with its own eclipse glasses on. The zoom wasn't good so quality was marginal at best, but I got pix, pre-eclipse and mid-eclipse. And my glasses were off to view the corona with my naked eyes, something I did not know was safe to do in Days of Old. But glasses were at the ready...

...and the Diamond Ring Effect hit suddenly. I got the glasses up on the S4, didn't get to mine on time and got 1/2-second of DRE straight in both eyes. Intense but immensely beautiful. Once again, the cheers of thousands filled the air. Even with its own glasses, the DRE was too much for the S4 and the lens stopped taking image for 30 seconds, but it did return. Without damage. And then the waxing phases of the sun, just like the waning phases. Suddenly, everyone decided to leave at the same time, the roads were clogged in seconds. And what took me less than an hour to get to now took almost 4 to get home from. But once past Horseshoe Bend, it got better and the commute was a breeze.

I plan on seeing the October, 2023 annular eclipse near Winnemucca, Nevada and will be somewhere in the midwest for the next total eclipse in April, 2024...TBD. Love the pics, B0ikat, they're fantastic! Glad you all had a great time, too!
Hoorf
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Location: In between the bright lights and the far, unlit unknown...

Postby B0ikat » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:59 pm

I'm looking forward to the April 2024 total eclipse. I'll have to travel a lot less to see it than the 2017 eclipse at my aunts house. I'll probably go to a viewing event in either Tyler, TX or Texarkana, AR/TX. Another option would be Murfreesboro Arkansas at Crater of Diamonds State Park It's not center of the eclipse path, but still should have a few minutes of totality.
B0ikat
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Return to General Discussion