Seek help with obstacle hazard lights, can anyone help?

Anything to do with Aircraft Design, FSDS, G Max, Aircraft Animator, SDL Edit, etc. Novice or skilled - stop here & learn!

Seek help with obstacle hazard lights, can anyone help?

Postby TryHinkel » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:33 pm

I'm working on a different FS2004 project, whereas two very unusual structures (which I just finished designing in GMax) have red navigation hazard lights atop them, and they pulse slowly on a 2-second cycle (1 sec on, 1 sec off). I can't find the stock library object for just the bare red light with no tower attached...would anyone have the number for the object which would work in an .xml file? Or would it be an effect which would be used as an "AttachedObject" in the .xml? I'd greatly appreciate it, and I'd give credit for the help. Thank you!
TryHinkel
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Seek help with obstacle hazard lights, can anyone help?

Postby pegger » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:21 am

I hate sending people away from this site, however for scenery related help you might want to talk to the nice folks over at fsdeveloper.com

I don't do 2004 scenery, but i believe you want to either attach an effect to the object, or use a bgl light. Have a look at model converter by a fellow named Arno. It has tools to attach effects to models before export to bgl.
pegger
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Seek help with obstacle hazard lights, can anyone help?

Postby TryHinkel » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:35 pm

No worries, it's a step in the right direction!

I found a post that someone left a few years back on another site about a similar question, which suggested an .xml...which, when converted into a .bgl and installed, put lights on an object:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
<FSData version="9.0"
xmlns:xsi='http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance'
xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="bglcomp.xsd">

<SceneryObject
lat="NXX XX.XX"
lon="WXX XX.XX"
alt="X"
pitch="0"
bank="0"
heading="0"
altitudeIsAgl="TRUE"
imageComplexity="NORMAL">

<Effect
effectName="fx_navred.fx"
effectParams="DAY=0;NIGHT=1" />
</SceneryObject>

</FSData>

Whereas capital Xs are user-installed values. So, I did as directed, in the exact format, set the altitude a touch higher than the object, saved, ran through BGLCOMP, and it converted. Then I installed, loaded FS2004, took off, headed to the objects at night...

Nothing. So, that one doesn't work at all. Or perhaps not for GMax objects.

I'll give FSDeveloper a try as you suggested. Thank you very much!
TryHinkel
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to Aircraft & 3D Design